Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 01-02-2020, 06:44 PM

Default GW button

Hi All,

A few months ago I found a bent GW button where it was literally shaped like a “U”. While the front of the button still had visible details, I was bummed that the button was completely bent. Anyway, while I NEVER clean anything valuable, I decided to do some research and find someone who has expertise in this area. I was able to find a site here:
https://www.culturalheritage.org/mem...-a-conservator

I was able to find a conservationist (near me) who has cleaned/preserved a TON of items throughout history. The site provides a background of the individuals. The individual who I selected was phenomenal. Very detailed and knows her stuff. She works for the Philadelphia Museum of Art and has preserved lots of items from the Revolutionary War. I say this because I wouldn’t have just anyone work on something like this....Long story short, she was able to reshape the button, clean it and do a few things to save it from further deterioration. See before and after pics. She also put a wax coating which she said she can easily remove (you can see pics with and without coating). She provided all the details in an email but in any case I wanted to share In case anyone wants something cleaned professionally.

If anyone is interested in the person I went to, you can send me an email. Everyone charges differently.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2020, 06:45 PM

Here’s a pic without wax.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2020, 06:46 PM

Final look with a coating of wax.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

Wow man, that came out great! That's the one button i would be shaking if i could hold one in my hand!

Old 01-12-2020, 11:10 PM
Elite Member

Nice find.
Those seem to be pretty rare.
Thanks for sharing.
Turned out looking a lot better.