Why is it?

Missouri Mule

Why is it that detectorists squirt silver coins and are very careful in handling them while they rub the daylight out of other coins? I realize value has a lot to do with it, but are there not rare copper and other coins which value would be diminished from rubbing them to death?

Why is it that detectorists squirt silver coins and are very careful in handling them while they rub the daylight out of other coins? I realize value has a lot to do with it, but are there not rare copper and other coins which value would be diminished from rubbing them to death?
Its because silver is soft. It’s why 10% copper is added to the coin, for durability. Copper is more forgiving to poor handling.

Most common dug silvers have melt value only. Most key date dug silvers, while more valuable, have microscopic hair line scratches that make them less desirable to collectors.

I understand what you're saying. i see it all the time as well, confuses me. If you don't know a coin is worth melt only value, don't rub the gritty snot out of it till you do know. simple right?

I don't know why others squirt their silver finds...I wait until I get home to rinse them off. Maybe they aren't patient enough to wait until they get home to see what the date on the coin is. Rubbing a silver coin "GENTLY" isn't going to harm it.

Back
Top Bottom