How to clean poison ivy infected items?

when I was working inmate on the prison farm I saw a lot of them come down with it, and I must say I did it once myself and this did work...put CLOROX on it right out of the bottle ..warning...Burns like fire, you'll think you dead and went to hell....But it will dry up and go away......:woohoo:

I dilute it 50%. It feels good, because I am scratching it and breaking it open, at least on my hands.

Ok so had some issues with poison ivy. Just got out in the woods today. Had mentioned to the other guy that I wanted to avoid it. But then on the way out he says oh that's all poison. Don't be reaching down. We had just walked thru it. So I didn't touch it. Clothes went right in the wash when I got home, and I washed down with Ivarest. But how do I clean my shoes and my detector. Real paranoid that there is oils on them.
Having had it so bad the past couple of weeks I'm paranoid over everywhere it could be. Like I'm thinking ah did my pants brush the inside of the car and get anything on it, if there was anything. But how do I clean items that you can't throw in the washer machine like my shoes and detector/tools?

Just want to play it on the safe side and get them cleaned up in case anything got on me.

I use 409 on everything, spray and wipe. I use it on my hunting, camping ,a fishing stuff.

Probably any kind of solvent will work. I've used paint thinner for years, and haven't had any problems (except when I do something stupid, like not wear gloves). I use rags dipped in thinner, wipe down the hedge trimmer, loppers, shovel, whatever, let the rags dry, then through them in the wash. Clothes can be washed normally, including sneakers. If your shoes are leather, you can use the thinner on them, but it will remove any water treatment you have so you'll have to reapply the treatment.

You also have to be careful about using solvents on plastic, etc, so I wouln't use it on your detector except for the metal poles, etc. Curt

So I used rubbing alcohol on the items. Basically squirted it on the items and rubbed with paper towels. Then sprayed them with water and dried. Only issue I'd really have is my sneakers, not washing them even though they are my "play" sneakers. They'd probably get all nasty. Hopefully there are no oils left. I'll find out later when I go to put them on.

You could at least take the laces off and wash those - because thats where you'll be touching most when you put them on.

I soaked a paper towel in rubbing alcohol and ran it along the laces. And rubbed it all over the shoes. Hopefully I'm good.

Good plan - I went in the spring before the leaves were out (you can get poison ivy from the stems too.) Well, knowing this, I washed very well after and threw my cloths in the washer. But over the next two weeks I kept getting random spots of it on my hands and couldn't figure out which piece of equipment was doing it. Lol, it was just enough to be annoying.

I know now I'll remain paranoid. Because you can touch so many things and not know you had it, then you gotta like clean everything. I still have rash spots and it is slowly going away. But if I get anything new I won't be happy. Definitely need to watch where I hunt in the woods if I go again.

there is a soap called TECNU that will take care of you and your equipment,,, try it

Back
Top Bottom