2600 years old!

Pete e

Elite Member
My luck is really running good at the moment. I was out today on a Club dig and having a rather slow day, untill I got a nice solid 19 signal on the Nox, and found the beauty below at 11 inches deep..

I initially thought it might be Bronze Age, then talked my self out of it...The dig organiser sent this pic to an archaeologist at the local museum and he got back straight away, tentatively identifying it as late Bronze Age/early Iron Age Hallstatt razor dating to about 800Bc to 600BC...

Originating in Europe, it seems they are very rare, with the archaeologist only knowing of about seven others in the UK, and this being the first from this particular county. To say I am stoked is an understatement...

Get Outlook for Android

Attachments

• 62DAF764-A270-40CB-9657-253523200705.jpg
    62DAF764-A270-40CB-9657-253523200705.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,274
Nice find! So what happens with a find like this? Can you keep it or do you have to turn it over the the government?

Nice find! So what happens with a find like this? Can you keep it or do you have to turn it over the the government?

As it's a single item, it doesn't have to be handed over...However, if the value is over a certain amount, the farmer is entitled to half...that's the arrangement we have with him to search on his farm...So at the moment, I don't really know what's going to happen to it, but I am just enjoying the moment....

Last edited:
Thank for the kind words everybody..

The blade on this one is a hair under 3 3/4" long and if we have any Alaskans on here, they will notice that it's a dead ringer for an Inuit ulu knife....

Amazing find That is museum quality artifact. I only found two bronze age blade items when detecting over there. Know guys that after 10 years detecting, never found anything bronze age. that is a lifetime find for sure.

Amazing find That is museum quality artifact. I only found two bronze age blade items when detecting over there. Know guys that after 10 years detecting, never found anything bronze age. that is a lifetime find for sure.

Thanks Josh, You could have knocked me down with a feather when unfound out exactly what it was..

I am on a run of uncharacteristic good luck at the moment but i am expecting the lean times to return any moment!

Well found Pete.

I know what they are but never seen one found.

Any signs of habitation in the area it being a personal item?

Doug.

Well found Pete.

I know what they are but never seen one found.

Any signs of habitation in the area it being a personal item?

Doug.

Thanks Doug,

No obvious signs of habitation, but it was on the edge of a small stream...Today that stream has been straightened and turned into a ditch, but I think back then the field would have been marsh/wet....

I did search the immediate area very well, and within a ten foot radius found a cartwheel penny and a modernish 3oz lead trade weight...Both gave belting signals and in both cases I was thinking "scattered hoard" but alas the detecting gods were just toying with me lol

Still i am not complaining!

Great find!! It's so hard to believe all the old artifacts that are just waiting to be dug up. I can only imagine the anxiety finding something like that. Congrats!!!

Fantastic find! All I have to say is you guys are sure feeding the museums over there. They must be jam packed with metal relics. It is a wonder the museums don't give away Minelab and Deus detectors for free in the UK.

Put a lot of people to work.

Back
Top Bottom