One hole full bag

olddude

I haven't been around in awhile to little time. But I have been hunting some. A couple days ago I was digging in a spot that has been beat to death but it always good for a few bullets and the occasional brass piece. It was going to be a short hunt but ended up a half day of digging in one small spot. I found a few bullets then the AT Pro hit something that didn't show on the scale and was mixed iron sounds that had s couple sharp tones and a pop or two here and there. I started to pass it by but one more swing over the target I got a good solid tone, weak but solid both ways with a hint of iron at the end of the swing.

I thought what the heck I had dug targets like this many times and mostly end up wasting time but it was something that told me to dig so I did. I dug the 1st plug and laid it aside and hit it again.....no difference. I widened the hole a little and took another shovel deep plug and read it again and this time the sound was better and I got a reading of 66 mixed with 39. A little deeper and it seemed to lose a little of the higher tone and the iron sound picked up some. I was thinking as deep as I was at the time it might be a shell fragment or another piece of rusty iron. Still further down I hit a layer of hard sandy dirt that was really hard to dig through and I had to widen the hole a little more to get the shovel in there to get through this layer. Now The sounds come alive the hole was deep and just big enough to get the head in there and wiggle it back and forth and I could tell there was at least two different targets in there maybe three. I was seeing a good solid 68 with a nice tone with just a hint of iron. Nothing on the pin pointer yet so I kept pecking at this hard layer. This hard layer was 3 or 4 inches thick and when I broke through it was like day and night the layer under it was soft and wet and once I got the sandy stuff out of the hole and down a few more inches I pulled some of the softer stuff out and turned on my pin pointer, at first I thought the thin was messing up again so I tapped it on my shovel a few times and as I was sticking it in the hole it started singing again. I said, this dang thing I ought to throw it in the trash and picked up the pro and when I got near the hole it was singing like a bird. It was then that I realized that the last shovel of dirt was full of 69 cal round balls along with smaller buck shot balls.

I apologized to my pin pointer and said thanks to the pro and started pulling round balls and small pieces of rusty iron that looked to be a box that the balls were in. I was pulling out pieces of what I thought was paper but lather turned out to be pieces of leather. Then On the other side of the hole I started pulling out precusion caps by the hand full, there were over a hundred in all and I'm sure I missed a few. There were 66 round balls, 20 or more of the buck shot and several small iron buckles and what I think is a gun tool, a couple of sq nailes and just when I thought I had gotten everything I hit the hole with the pin pointer again real slow and I got another hit to the right of the hole so I widened out the bottom of the hole and about 6 inches over from where the balls were I pulled out another piece of this paper like material and then another and another until all at once I stopped getting readings. I said what the heck! I almost thought about cussing the pin pointer again but instead I pulled out those pieces of paper and as I hit them with the pin pointer I got a good crisp reading. By now it was pitch black dark outside and as I got out my flash light to look see, what I thought was wet paper was really pieces of and US officer's coat or part of it anyway. It looked like someone had cut away part of the front of the coat with 5 of those nice big gold plated staff officers buttons still attached. The buttons were wrapped in a wad and I didn't feel them as I pulled them out and put them in my trash bag. I'd say that was a nice bonus to the ball and cap pile I found.

I'm going to try and post some picks of this stuff and what I plan on displaying all of these things in a separate box in my display case. I cleaned one of the buttons a little to see what they were but they are in pretty poor condition so I'll probably just lightly clean the other 4 and leave the big hunks of leather still attached. What I was wondering is how do you preserve these leather pieces or at least keep them from falling apart to much just sitting in the case.

Attachments

• DSC03902.JPG
    DSC03902.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 526
  • DSC03901.JPG
    DSC03901.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC03903.JPG
    DSC03903.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC03904.JPG
    DSC03904.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 516
  • DSC03905.JPG
    DSC03905.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC03913.JPG
    DSC03913.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC03915.JPG
    DSC03915.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC03916.JPG
    DSC03916.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC03922.JPG
    DSC03922.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 484
  • DSC03918.JPG
    DSC03918.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC03917.JPG
    DSC03917.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC03919.JPG
    DSC03919.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 476
  • DSC03920.JPG
    DSC03920.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC03921.JPG
    DSC03921.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC03923.JPG
    DSC03923.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC03924.JPG
    DSC03924.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC03925.JPG
    DSC03925.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 479
  • DSC03926.JPG
    DSC03926.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 479
Very cool dig. i'd try hitting that area some more.

Yeah, I've been hunting these woods for years along with just about everybody else in the area and it still gives up a prize every now an then. It's always good for a few bullets and a button or two when I go. I've dug holes with several drop bullets in them before but this was the biggest mixed pile of stuff I have found so far. I'll for sure be hitting it again, that's for sure.

Outstanding finds - really should be in the relic section, I think lots of people are missing it.

Thats really an amazing hit there! Keep us posted on what you learn about it..

What do you figure went on there?...

Well it was a pretty good battle that went on around here in fact this area had several different battles that went on at different times during the war.

Why all this stuff was in the same hole.....well I don't know. How those staff officers buttons ended up there is anyone's guess. I wouldn't think he would have been carrying a nap sack full of round balls but who knows what went on in the heat of battle back then.

It looked like those buttons were cut off from his coat, maybe he got shot there and they had to cut off his coat to treat his wound. Maybe it was just a trash pile, Your guess is as good as mine.

There was several pieces of iron that was in the hole and I cleaned them up a little and there was a gun tool, the part of a bayonet that attached to the gun barrel with no blade, it was broke off right where the blade started. There was what was left of a bullet pulling worm that looked to be for a very large bore rifle maybe a 69 cal at the very least. The iron was in pretty bad shape but I'm going to try to clean them in the electrolysis tank but I think the bullet worm may be a little to far gone but I'm going to try.

Outstanding finds - really should be in the relic section, I think lots of people are missing it.

You are probably right but it started out being a post to find out how to cure and protect the leather and fabric pieces that were in that hole.

This find of yours has certainly captured my imagination!...Like you said, all kinds of things went on in the heat of a battle....black powder, big bores, devastating downrange destruction...I think this guy was trying to get some needed supplies to the front, fabbed up a carry bag out of a dead guys coat, and didnt make it..."For want of a nail a shoe was lost" kind of thing..

Last edited:
I may be wrong but it seems I've heard that an officers uniform was almost as important as his weapon. And if being captured, his uniform would be disgraced and he wasn't going to allow that , not sure if it's true but the buttons and any insignia would be like a prize for the captors , so he cut off his side of the jacket with his buttons and buried them along with his ammo so it could not be used against his men. Just my theory. And yes you are in a prime battleground area. I would think that whole area would be hallowed ground.

I may be wrong but it seems I've heard that an officers uniform was almost as important as his weapon. And if being captured, his uniform would be disgraced and he wasn't going to allow that , not sure if it's true but the buttons and any insignia would be like a prize for the captors , so he cut off his side of the jacket with his buttons and buried them along with his ammo so it could not be used against his men. Just my theory. And yes you are in a prime battleground area. I would think that whole area would be hallowed ground.

Does that mean I should stop hunting there?

No , I didn't mean that , just trying to give another reason why you're finding bullets, buttons and or buckles in the same hole. Just a theory , for what it's worth. You know, the same as the theory of opinions and A-holes. :laughing:

No , I didn't mean that , just trying to give another reason why you're finding bullets, buttons and or buckles in the same hole. Just a theory , for what it's worth. You know, the same as the theory of opinions and A-holes. :laughing:

Okay, usually when some folks talk about 'Hollowed Ground' They feel you shouldn't be allowed to even look over in that direction.

The park service has taken over pretty much every piece of land around here and will lock you up if you wonder off one of their marked trails. Everything else is off limits accept what they what they want you to see. Not to mention what would happen if they caught you with a metal detector near their land.

I do respect the land and all the men that fought and died on it. Some folks look at it as grave robbery when we dig up relics from the places where battles were won and lost. I look at it as a rescue mission when I go out and hunt by keeping their hard fought story alive to be told over and over again. Rebel or Yank they were all hard, brave men that endured enormous misery and went through living hell for their cause. They deserve all of our respect but I don't see relic hunting as showing disrespect to those men or the land as long as you clean up your mess you make and cover your holes properly along with taking out of the woods any trash you dig up or find along the way. Sadly my trash bag is always heavier than my digger bag because the woods around here is so littered with trash it's hard to find anything if you don't haul it out.

GREAT finds. Should post this in War Relic Hunting. They would like to see.

I read about leather found in a creek in real good condition because the air didn't get to it.

Back
Top Bottom