Signals/Targets near trees/stumps

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Ever swing a coil near a tree or a stump??

What did you hear??

A good tone,,like a nonferrous target??

Or did you hear an iron tone,,thinking iron and didn't dig??

I bring this up,,,because it happened to me,,,,hearing an iron tone and didn't dig.

My coil was close to the tree,,right up against.

Turns out I found just previously close to this tree some older nonferrous finds.

So,,when I got the iron tones,,or tone that sounded not so nice,,,,,I dug the target and it turned out to be a button.

A person needs to realize,,,when a target is close to a tree,,,,depending on coil size,,,this will drive just how close to the coils center can be placed over the target.

And if there is any ferrous material close to a nonferrous target positioned like this,,,,having the center of the coil over the target even more critical.
I should point out here,,,a detectors separating and unsmaksing abilities here can play a part.

Elliptical shaped coils,,,harder to get the center of these close to trees,,vs smaller round coils.

The next time you are out,,,,and swing up close to a tree,,and your detector gives less than ideal tone for what is usually a nonferrous target signal,,,,check it out.

You may be surprised.

Trees can limit older targets sink rates,,with the tree a growing,,,and with its root system.

The targets I found just lately,,,,had been lost in this one site around 100 years ago,,,yet they being beside this walnut tree(near it seems the back door of old house, it is gone btw) at a mere 2-4" in depth.

Also,,if your detector has true all metal function,,,you can use use it,,,,will allow coils perimeter to detect metal,,without being so centered over target. Now you may dig iron,,or you may dig nonferrous. But in a good site,,,even if hunted before,,someone may not have checked around trees ( up real close).

Interesting post , Really never gave it a thought , I 'm going to note that next time I get near a tree . HH

Agreed. I hadn't thought of this, and find the information helpful. Will keep it in mind next time I'm out.

I will work signals with the tip of the coil in tight spots next to the base of a big old tree or a fallen logs/rocks too big to be moved...I've dug numerous 100 or more year old coins that didn't sound ideal by doing this. Good info TN!

With this thread in mind, I was at a park tonight, and got a good signal in the root system. I got about 2", and hit a root. My PP (TRX) said I was right on the target, even ratcheted down to the lowest, but I'm just looking at root. I dug around the root, and was even able to get under it, but there was no signal to the side or under it. It kind of looked like two roots that grew tight against one another, and as I couldn't budge either one, I eventually gave up. My guess is whatever it was is lodged between those two roots, or the roots swallowed it up. :?:

With this thread in mind, I was at a park tonight, and got a good signal in the root system. I got about 2", and hit a root. My PP (TRX) said I was right on the target, even ratcheted down to the lowest, but I'm just looking at root. I dug around the root, and was even able to get under it, but there was no signal to the side or under it. It kind of looked like two roots that grew tight against one another, and as I couldn't budge either one, I eventually gave up. My guess is whatever it was is lodged between those two roots, or the roots swallowed it up. :?:
It looks like spring is coming and liquids start to move inside tree. Since liquids are conductive and roots are thick detectors produce signals on them. It usually happen when high frequency (12 kHz, 14 kHz and higher) coils are used.

You detected a root of a large tree :)

Agree.

If I had to name a handful of places I check first the oldest biggest tree would be in there. I walk from tree to tree in the parks and yes it does produce. I will hit a stump hard and dig any signal I find. Tree roots can be tricky, we have some trees here that make recovery a challenge. But yes I totally agree the iron sounding sounds should be looked at if you have the time.

To expand a little here.

Some scenarios that could happen with a detectorist.

In relation to my opening post here.

A person could indeed find a textbook sounding target like a coin,,or even a few,,and be "satisfied", hence when they run their coil over and get an iron or less than desirable signal and pass. (Actually unknowingly leaving a good find behind)

Or go to a site,,and have a hard time finding even one worthwhile in their mind target ( tone wise),,, and when this happens,,a detectorists gets more desperate to bring something home, hence they start taking more chances on even less desirable sounding targets. (And in the process make a good find or 2)

Also,,,folks when returning to sites,,,sites that seem to be moreso purged of good targets,,,when you are at your site,,,stop and look around,,,think about where you haven't detected,,,any place no matter the reason, any obstacles around you thought were impossible to detect around,,any crevices,,larger iron objects,, I found a coin last week at a site I had been to a bunch. There was a well casing on the property,,with some bigger rocks near,,covering a lot of the ground,,,I went over ther and shoved my coil down in between 2 of the rocks and wiggled my coil,,just barely,,and got a good signal,,,,and came out with a coin. Now,,This was the first time I used this specific coil at the site,,,4" wide and was the only coil I had that would,fit down between the rocks,,where I could even move my coil for detection.

I hunt a home site, guessing was last occupied about 1920 - 30 . It is visible from the road so I'm sure it has been hunted , although I have not met anyone there. In the woods far in back is a old camp from the 50s , after a few passes at the home site I gave up and spent most efforts at the old cabin site . I stopped by the home site ,on my way out one day from the camp . In a line of rocks that I think was the driveway edge .I was digging many iron signals , when I got a tiny 84 , Repeat signal on the ATP . Wow a standing Liberty Q on edge , made my day , convinced that more has to be hiding I spent a lot of hours , only picking junk . The trees onthe lot mostly oaks , guessing 150 yr olds and some in poor shape no finds at all . One fallen oak next to the old garage location gave me a good tone solid 70's under the edge . I dug ,gave up a couple times , came back with a ditch spade hatchet , got down up to 18 inches nothing . The signal didnot change as I dug just seems to be a hot spot in the soil , maybe from something that may have deteriorated . The soil i removed did not register at all . Still looking for a cache , but somewhere else . :lol:

I lost so many good signals which I had to leave behind because of tree roots
:(:mad:

Here's my last find up against a tree...no VDI, just a repeatable high tone @ 9+ inches. MxSport

Attachments

• _20170202_150538-1.jpg
    _20170202_150538-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 763
This past summer I found a heal plate with the heart cut out. Right next to a very large willow tree. Turns out that a root grew straight through the heart cut out. Keeping it from sinking out reach of my detector. It was about 4" down. It took about 1 1/2 hours to free the plate. You can find a pic of the plate in my past post.

My favorite find was 130+ years old and iron mangled in with tree roots I think the tree literally grew on top of it.

tree roots

The other day I was at a path in the woods when I saw a coin just
lying on the roots of a tree.I couldn't believe my eyes ,because I
knew it was an old coin. It is aluminium and completely worn out,
but I know these are the "so called" Renten Pfennig from 1923.
I wonder who left the coin on the roots at sight... most probably a
detectorist found it and was not happy with the coin,so he left it as
a souvenir :p:laughing:

Attachments

• alu coin 1.jpg
    alu coin 1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 702
  • alu coin 2.jpg
    alu coin 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 692
Good info here. I hate tree roots, I usually avoid them. Now I have a better understanding. I know the roots themselves will set my Pro pointer at times and I dug out all the way around and underneath it down deep and the pro pointer still sounds off on the root itself.

Targets under roots get me excited every time! They can alter the sink rate of good targets.

Trees

I love hunting around trees. I found a mercury dime laying on top of a root just barely covered with dirt. I've found silver right up against tree trunks and in planters, and under the shrubs in pounded parks. I found my first indian, a 1900 under a root in a parkway. Roots are my friend mainly because they help keep coins from sinking, and other hunters form investagating.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom