Strange large heavy rod *SOLVED: DIGGING ROD*

dlax

Elite Member
I found this large metal rod, about 4.5 feet tall, 20 lbs. I can't tell what it's made of, if it's iron then I'm surprised it's not rusted more in my soil conditions. There are ridges running down the side, alternating regular ridges with bumpy ridges. I gave a pic of the top , and the bottom is like a flat chisel. Any ideas?? Thanks! Property is an old shipyard, dating back to 1600s, but other traffic, hunting ,etc since then.

Attachments

• 2017-03-12 17.22.51.jpg
    2017-03-12 17.22.51.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 630
  • 2017-03-12 17.22.24.jpg
    2017-03-12 17.22.24.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 2017-03-12 17.21.55.jpg
    2017-03-12 17.21.55.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Found this pick online titled, Rigging pry bar. Does it look the same?
th

Thanks for the lead, mine doesn't have a "toe", but I could see it being used for leveraging something like logs or large boulders (very rocky area, and lots of old stone wall). I can't tell though if the ridges running all the way down would be decorative, or whether they would serve some mechanical purpose?

My other thoughts were dropping vertically to split a rock? Other ideas?

Google..

Pinch point bar...

We called em rock bars... Used for busting/prying/moving rocks or whatever else you want to cuss or swear at..

<°)))>{

Google..

Pinch point bar...

We called em rock bars... Used for busting/prying/moving rocks or whatever else you want to cuss or swear at..

<°)))>{

Thanks, I think that's it. The chisel end as well as the hammer-ish flat end. I can't tell if it's hexagonal, could be. It seems hand-made.

Might be hand forged... Never seen one with waves in the sides.. They are all forged somehow, for strength..

That one you have looks well used..

I'm no expert, but I know enough about using them to say.. When you have to get that out of the truck, someone's day is starting to suck..

<°)))>{

Might be hand forged... Never seen one with waves in the sides.. They are all forged somehow, for strength..

That one you have looks well used..

I'm no expert, but I know enough about using them to say.. When you have to get that out of the truck, someone's day is starting to suck..

<°)))>{

Thanks - could come in handy out detecting some day!

Before the advent of truck mounted augers, telephone poles were set by hand. Holes were dug with special long handled posthole diggers and if you hit rocks, you got out a long breakerbar like yours to loosen the rocks up so the shovel man could get through them to reach the required depth to set the pole. Operated by big armed men who you never wanted to get in a fight with, unless they were on YOUR side! Ha ha

The old guys I worked with called them "Johnson Bars" except for one we had that was 10' long. They called it a "Railroad Bar".

It's a multi-purpose tool for sure, lots of nick names depending on what it was used for, it seems. So for detecting purposes, I'll call it my root rod, tot rod, or large buried chest rod. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom