When to dig

fuzzymaster

When I get a good signal I go around the target and try to get the signal from two directions. Maybe I should dig when I first get a good signal and not worry about getting the signal from two angles. I may have been leaving some good stuff.

When I get a good signal I go around the target and try to get the signal from two directions. Maybe I should dig when I first get a good signal and not worry about getting the signal from two angles. I may have been leaving some good stuff.

Depends on how much you want to dig. Usually a good signal from both directions is a diggable target for me. However, sometimes can slaw when bent into a rounded shape can come in as a nice signal when you're looking for rings.

Dig all the repeatable signals if you can stand to dig the trash. There WILL be good surprises in what you expect to be trash. Most of it WILL be trash though. I dug a 14k gold wedding band last fall that I was 99% certain would be a pull tab... based on what I had already dug there. It may take awhile, but if you persist something good will come. If there's so much trash that the fun is gone from the hunt, well then you need to make some adjustments.
It has to be fun. :detector:

It depends where I am but most of the time I dig the good one way, sketchey the other signals. I have had quite a few that turned out to be at least a neat target. One I almost walked away from but decided to dig turned out to be a silver trime. Dig it all if you can!

i've learned too...

I run into that too.....i had a signal that was "iffy" one way and good from. Another angle....
One of those turned out to be an 1848 large cent! Bout five inches deep! My first and
Only large cent...... A few others like this turned out to be. An 1858..(i think) thick indian head..
Shield and v nickels give wierd signals so,etimes too
Also in the past. Ive had half good half cruddy signals....burst into full blown "oh my god" sweet silver coin signals after cutting a plug...turns out to be a deep barber dime
Definitely dig....dig those "well .....im not sure about it....." signals....you will be glad you did!
HH. :-)

A signal doesn't have to sound incredibly good, it has to sound consistent, consistent sounding targets are worth a closer look.

A signal doesn't have to sound incredibly good, it has to sound consistent, consistent sounding targets are worth a closer look.

Read it again...CONSISTENT! I had to learn this the hard way and dug a lot of stuff that was NOT consistent and was rewarded with a couple thousand junkers...spot on Bibs! IMO...

Are you using the Garrett AT Pro, or another detector that permits you to choose a partial rejection of iron? I would try for a repeat in the same direction, plus a repeat in all directions. I have the AT Pro & set it to reject all iron (40) plus use coins program for more trash rejection. But I'm in newer suburban area, with low odds for silver.

DD coils have a hard time rejecting bottle caps, this is especially true if you only partially reject iron. But if you're detecting a very old park that has been "cleaned out" for decades, it may make more sense to investigate iffy signals in heavy trash.

If you have a trustable depth indicator on your machine, dig the deep iffys for sure.

You will hear a lot of different strategies folks recommend.

Consistent signals,,can be both good targets and Junkers.

Inconsistent signals can be Junkers and good targets.

Remember a lot of things can make a good target yield an inconsistent signal,,like depth,,maskers like iron,,even other nonferrous.

Using a stock sized coil in an area with trash and or nails/iron,,,remember a lot of things can be under your coil affecting your overall signal,,,thus a very good target's signal could be skewed,,, making you think say a junker.

Site detecting history,,I weigh this heavily when making decisions on what signals I dig.

Some sites you would be spinning your wheels moreso digging every single nonferrous target,,but some sites for me allow me to be more open for digging about any signal.

I have heard the same said about gold jewelry,,that is sounds more pure signal wise,,,,I don't believe this for one second.

To each their own though,,,main thing is to have confidence in whatever system you use to decide to dig targets.

It just takes one really nice find,,,and your system in your own noggin,,,is the right one for you.

Who is to argue or dispute..if you got a find of a lifetime.

Certainly not me.

You will hear a lot of different strategies folks recommend.

Consistent signals,,can be both good targets and Junkers.

Inconsistent signals can be Junkers and good targets.

Remember a lot of things can make a good target yield an inconsistent signal,,like depth,,maskers like iron,,even other nonferrous.

Using a stock sized coil in an area with trash and or nails/iron,,,remember a lot of things can be under your coil affecting your overall signal,,,thus a very good target's signal could be skewed,,, making you think say a junker.

Site detecting history,,I weigh this heavily when making decisions on what signals I dig.

Some sites you would be spinning your wheels moreso digging every single nonferrous target,,but some sites for me allow me to be more open for digging about any signal.

I have heard the same said about gold jewelry,,that is sounds more pure signal wise,,,,I don't believe this for one second.

To each their own though,,,main thing is to have confidence in whatever system you use to decide to dig targets.

It just takes one really nice find,,,and your system in your own noggin,,,is the right one for you.

Who is to argue or dispute..if you got a find of a lifetime.

Certainly not me.

Yep, you never really know until it's in your hand. The longer I detect, the more iffy targets I dig. I have had corroded pieces of pot-metal sound sweeter than silver, and gold chains sound like total garbage.

I agree it depends on the object too, a broken ring won't even register on some detectors, but once the contact between the two ends take place the signal is there. I do a full 360 around my targets, if it's not consistent for most of that 360 degrees I'll usually leave it, as it seems from most of my experiences it ends up being junk. If I spent the time digging all those junk signals there'd be no time for the good signals! Just my 2 cents happy hunting everyone!

My only gold i found was not a consistent tone!

Nothing carved in stone but day in and day out, your consistent targets are going to produce the majority of the better finds. I must be blessed because every gold ring that I've dug has been a solid consistent sounding signal. How many have I missed that weren't consistent ? who knows.:laughing:

All great info. After a mere two months of detecting I have found that I dig everything from foil up for about an hour and then my disc starts creeping up! haha

What I dig depends on where I am, time constraints, and the detector I am using that day. I have found good targets in every disc range but what I dig each day depends on many factors. What i would dig today I may walk right past tomorrow, depending on the type of detecting I am doing and what type of targets I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom