Crusty coin cleaning... leaving original patina

Glennz

Elite Member
This method works on many types of coins and other things.

Still have a ways to go on this zinc coin.

My secret is to spit on the coin then scrub it with crumpled tinfoil.

This is a German occupation of Belgium coin. Only the back was crusty.

My method leaves all original patina that is still on the coin and hasn't been lifted up by erosion. Some coins (ancient roman) may not always come back to life.

Here is a before and current state photo... notice all original patina is still on it and its not shiny. (the sparkles you see are the tinfoil still on it)

I can't describe how amazing this cleaning method is, I know many won't believe but if you try it works. It can take a while before you get good results. This is approx 15 min of cleaning and still have a ways to go.

16997847_637094543157182_5108582757169177236_n.jpg

16999017_637094533157183_4519485247478784093_n.jpg

Heres the end resault... The rust destroyed a bit of detail but being zinc i think this is good resaults. Uncleaned side to show patina match
16997726_637105583156078_8716304203912335347_n.jpg

16938443_637104419822861_136769475044768140_n.jpg

All things considered that zinc coin looks great for being in the ground so long!

All things considered that zinc coin looks great for being in the ground so long!

Yeah, i'm not sure if it was in the ground or in a bowl of water... probably in the round at some point i'd think in a pocket spill which would explain why the front side looked great.

I like cleaning copper / brass coins using this method though as ive gleaned a very crusty wheat penny and after cleaning it looked like i found it coin roll hunting with the same color patina.

Yeah, i'm not sure if it was in the ground or in a bowl of water... probably in the round at some point i'd think in a pocket spill which would explain why the front side looked great.

I like cleaning copper / brass coins using this method though as ive gleaned a very crusty wheat penny and after cleaning it looked like i found it coin roll hunting with the same color patina.

I agree I love bringing dead coins back to life. Sometimes I get. old dateless copper victoria pennies and acid treat and retone them to reveal their dates

I agree I love bringing dead coins back to life. Sometimes I get. old dateless copper victoria pennies and acid treat and retone them to reveal their dates

try my method you may be impressed... I did that with an ancient roman coin that had no writing and when i was done you could make out a lot of writing..

I would never acid treat / retone a coin as its fake to me.

found some old dug pennies I got a while back... and that someone gave to me... I'll do some testing on those and if i can find crusty nickle as well and post resaults

try my method you may be impressed... I did that with an ancient roman coin that had no writing and when i was done you could make out a lot of writing..

I would never acid treat / retone a coin as its fake to me.
Ill give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom