Newbie Question

Luke Bizzy

I'm reading through the posts on this forum looking for some ideas on where to to try detecting. So I'll ask the question, where do you go dirt fishing? Are you working areas on public property. What other kind of free access venues have you been using to hunt?

I'm just starting out with my new AT and have only tried a community soccer/baseball area Saturday morning. Had to leave when all the youth league teams and families started arriving.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

First:
Fill in your profile for a location, County, State, nearest city so we have an idea where you may have prospects.
Second: since you post here in the War Relic forum is this what you want to find???

Last: research your area with historical maps & Aerial photos to learn what was around. Then check for ownership and if government land (local, county, state) check rules and regs (but do not call and ask - lots write in the permissions sub-forum about this so read them).

If private them get permission from owners.

waltr gives good advice. You posted this in war relic section. Which is probably primarily CW related (we had no 'wars' in CA, or out west, to speak of). And CW (or Rev. war, etc...) sites could be literally anywhere. Eg.: private farmer fields, or variations of public land (city, state, county, fed, etc...). And even within each of those venues, is wide varieties of "types". Eg.: not all state land is "state park" land. Not all federal land is NPS. There's also NFS, BLM, etc.... So you'd need to be more specific.

And he's right that .... if you are skittish ... that you look up any rules/laws for yourself. You don't go asking "Hi can I metal detect?" to some pencil pusher or kiosk person. Otherwise you can run into the "No one cared till you asked" psychology. I've seen this happen over and over, where .... someone fetched a "no", where .... quite frankly .... MD'rs had never had any issues before. Ie.: they were ignored. But the moment someone puts this "pressing question" in front of a bureaucrat, perhaps they envision geeks with shovels. Or perhaps the question gets forwarded to a purist archie, blah blah. So always look it up for yourself, if you are skittish. If there's nothing there that says "no md'ing", then presto: It's not prohibited.

To get the really old stuff be it coins or relics you need to check into getting permission to hunt some farm properties . Old home sites around town are cool , but if you spotted it , it has probably been hit before, not saying that something was missed , but take to the fields may it be crop or just an average hay , pasture field. Lots of old home sites and history lay in those areas. HH

Tom Ca also gives trusted advice

waltr gives good advice. You posted this in war relic section. Which is probably primarily CW related (we had no 'wars' in CA, or out west, to speak of). And CW (or Rev. war, etc...) sites could be literally anywhere. Eg.: private farmer fields, or variations of public land (city, state, county, fed, etc...). And even within each of those venues, is wide varieties of "types". Eg.: not all state land is "state park" land. Not all federal land is NPS. There's also NFS, BLM, etc.... So you'd need to be more specific.

And he's right that .... if you are skittish ... that you look up any rules/laws for yourself. You don't go asking "Hi can I metal detect?" to some pencil pusher or kiosk person. Otherwise you can run into the "No one cared till you asked" psychology. I've seen this happen over and over, where .... someone fetched a "no", where .... quite frankly .... MD'rs had never had any issues before. Ie.: they were ignored. But the moment someone puts this "pressing question" in front of a bureaucrat, perhaps they envision geeks with shovels. Or perhaps the question gets forwarded to a purist archie, blah blah. So always look it up for yourself, if you are skittish. If there's nothing there that says "no md'ing", then presto: It's not prohibited.

If the land is a state and federal park, probably you cannot hunt there. If it is a federal park for a CW battle field don't even drive into the park with a metal detector in your car. One guy did that Kennesaw, GA CW park and was charged with a felony.

if it looks like un-kept land like woods and brush and there are not any posted or keep off signs then proceed with caution. if told to get off, be polite, apologize and offer to share 50/50. Of course your research should indicate there is a high probability of it being a CW site. Not much use in hunting open land with no history of people activity.

join a local club, you can learn lots from your fellow club members in your area. but remember you have to share info to expect to get them to share with you. When you find a productive area work the heck out of it and then share the info. You will never find everything and other club member will often find stuff you miss. Especially if you are a newbie.

follow these forums and learn who gives good advice. Most do, but there are a few misinformed posters.

good luck.

one more thing

Notice you are from Alabama - welcome!

there were some CW camps in AL, the confederates fled to AL after the July 20th battles of Atlanta. Probably won't find many battle fields because I don't think Sherman pursued the Confederates, he just continued down thru Geogia to Savannah and Charleston. But guys find lots of CW relics in CW camps so focus on those. Your AT Pro will be very good for finding CW relics. Know quite a few CW relic hunters using the AT Pro.

When searching hold home sites don't count of finding silver coins like they do up north and out west. Keep in mind the south was dirt poor for the most part and an agriculture area. Up north it was huge in manufacturing during the late 1800 through the end of silver coinage. Our fortunate friends up north can haul in the silver compare to us southern hunters.

research for old gold mining areas. there may be some in north AL, I don't know. We have lots of gold mines in North GA. Hunt the tailings for gold. AT Pro not as good as the AT Gold for this type of hunting.

If the land is a state and federal park, probably you cannot hunt there.....

I notice you say "probably", so .... let's clarify : It's an oft-repeated wive's tale that all state and federal land is off-limits. You might find some state's parks, that do indeed have a rule of "no md'ing". But there are other of the 50 states (like CA, for instance) that are silent on the subject. Hence, not prohibited. In that case, it might only fall under their cultural heritage boiler plate wording. Or "harvest and remove", or "alter & deface", blah blah.

So in CA, for instance, we hunt state parks and state beaches all the time, w/o issue. Assuming, of course, it's not an obvious historic sensitive monument. Or assuming, of course, there's not an archie convention going on.

As for federal: There's actually EXPRESS ALLOWANCES for md'ing in NFS and BLM (beats the heck out of silent on the subject, eh ?). But, sure.... cultural heritage ARPA comes into play. Fine then: Just don't find any coins older than 50 yrs. old (hows your math skills ?)

.... If it is a federal park for a CW battle field don't even drive into the park with a metal detector in your car. One guy did that Kennesaw, GA CW park and was charged with a felony......

Do you realize that there are some highways and through-roads, that go right through federal parks. Like Hwy. 14 and Hwy. 191 that go through Yellowstone National park. How then, is someone who is traveling east-to-west, supposed to cross the state , if they (gasp) have a detector in the trunk ? :?:

I have often heard this claim of "busted for merely having a detector in the trunk" type assertions. But when you ask someone for an example, none are ever forth-coming. If you say you know of a true example, I would love to know more details. Me thinks something else had to have been in play. But if I'm wrong, and someone was "roughed up" for merely having a detector in the trunk on a through-fair drive, then here's my thoughts on that :

Fluke stories will ALWAYS exist in life. Ie.: so too..... if I searched the newspaper headlines long enough and hard enough, can probably find an example of someone who got pulled over, roughed up, car confiscated, jailed, fined, etc... For nothing but a tail-light out, from an over-zealous cop.

Sure, flukes happen. But we don't let those "flukes" rule our lives (or "stop us from driving", etc...). I even have a newspaper clipping of a guy who got a ticket for eating a hamburger while driving . The cop called it "distracted driving". But .... I'll bet that clipping or fluke event doesn't stop you from eating a burger while driving. You attribute it to exactly what it is: A fluke. Not saying to "throw caution to the wind", but .... I just have a feeling of this "felony for merely having a detector in the trunk" is going to be in the fluke category.

i was wrong on this one....

I notice you say "probably", so .... let's clarify : It's an oft-repeated wive's tale that all state and federal land is off-limits. You might find some state's parks, that do indeed have a rule of "no md'ing". But there are other of the 50 states (like CA, for instance) that are silent on the subject. Hence, not prohibited. In that case, it might only fall under their cultural heritage boiler plate wording. Or "harvest and remove", or "alter & deface", blah blah.

So in CA, for instance, we hunt state parks and state beaches all the time, w/o issue. Assuming, of course, it's not an obvious historic sensitive monument. Or assuming, of course, there's not an archie convention going on.

As for federal: There's actually EXPRESS ALLOWANCES for md'ing in NFS and BLM (beats the heck out of silent on the subject, eh ?). But, sure.... cultural heritage ARPA comes into play. Fine then: Just don't find any coins older than 50 yrs. old (hows your math skills ?)

Do you realize that there are some highways and through-roads, that go right through federal parks. Like Hwy. 14 and Hwy. 191 that go through Yellowstone National park. How then, is someone who is traveling east-to-west, supposed to cross the state , if they (gasp) have a detector in the trunk ? :?:

I have often heard this claim of "busted for merely having a detector in the trunk" type assertions. But when you ask someone for an example, none are ever forth-coming. If you say you know of a true example, I would love to know more details. Me thinks something else had to have been in play. But if I'm wrong, and someone was "roughed up" for merely having a detector in the trunk on a through-fair drive, then here's my thoughts on that :

Fluke stories will ALWAYS exist in life. Ie.: so too..... if I searched the newspaper headlines long enough and hard enough, can probably find an example of someone who got pulled over, roughed up, car confiscated, jailed, fined, etc... For nothing but a tail-light out, from an over-zealous cop.

Sure, flukes happen. But we don't let those "flukes" rule our lives (or "stop us from driving", etc...). I even have a newspaper clipping of a guy who got a ticket for eating a hamburger while driving . The cop called it "distracted driving". But .... I'll bet that clipping or fluke event doesn't stop you from eating a burger while driving. You attribute it to exactly what it is: A fluke. Not saying to "throw caution to the wind", but .... I just have a feeling of this "felony for merely having a detector in the trunk" is going to be in the fluke category.

I had read this post years ago a forum and I think they just quoted part of the article, but they tried to make it seemed he got busted for just having the metal detector in the park in his car. but further research of the Kennesaw park web site shows this:

Can I use a metal detector to hunt for relics?
No. Per 36 CFR 2.1(a)(7) it is prohibited and possession of a metal detector on Battlefield grounds is a felony.

Wow that is pretty stiff. Since this is a national battle field park, I suspect other national civil war battle fields have the same rules on metal detecting.

But I don't think anyone on this forum for any length of time would ever hunt on a national battle field.

Well that turkey did more than that, the caught him with CW relics. here is the article. I wonder if he took the time to cover his holes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...1cf643210300_blog.html?utm_term=.311c93ffcf7f

but I would never dream of going into a National park with a metal detector. too many questions to answer if they ever noticed you with one.

Where I detect for CW relics is always private property with permissions. Not too hard to get permissions where I hunt if you split 50/50 and are honest with them. It usually gets me more permissions from neighbors of the hunted area because they hear I treated the land owner fairly.

I had read this post years ago a forum and I think they just quoted part of the article, but they tried to make it seemed he got busted for just having the metal detector in the park in his car.....

Maxxkatt, thankyou for the followup. So as I surmised: No examples of someone "charged with a felony [or jail, blah blah] for merely having a detector in their trunk".

Even though you had previously said:

.... One guy did that Kennesaw, GA CW park and was charged with a felony......

The mere assertion, if it's ever made, just gets picked up and passed around in links, as if it's a real threat, or really happened, etc.... But when you ever go to look for examples, none are ever forthcoming.

Maxxkatt, thankyou for the followup. So as I surmised: No examples of someone "charged with a felony [or jail, blah blah] for merely having a detector in their trunk".

Even though you had previously said:

The mere assertion, if it's ever made, just gets picked up and passed around in links, as if it's a real threat, or really happened, etc.... But when you ever go to look for examples, none are ever forthcoming.

yeah, that guy was a real dunderhead. Thinking that the park was 100% shut down. got what he deserved. Gives us all a bad name. the public will only remember Metal detectorist caught stealing relics.

Back
Top Bottom