Spanish Naval Belt Plate Buckle - id help please

Toewe

Found what I believe to be a Spanish Naval belt plate buckle today at a nearby park that was never known to be a battle site and is located 100 miles from the nearest coast. Based on the style of the tongues, it appears to be from the 19th century, but that is all I've been able to gather. The hook on the back is stamped "Del Aguila / Argumosa 4 / Madrid". (Not 100% certain of the 4.)

Any help dating it or determining which war it might have been used during would be greatly appreciated.

HH & GL

Attachments

• smaller1.jpg
    smaller1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 523
  • smaller2.jpg
    smaller2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Get a copy of American Digger magazine and follow their directions as far as where and how to send a pic to them . Even if they don't publish a pic ( and they probably would on such a find ), I'm betting they will ID it for you. These guys love the hobby and are not just publishers ! Good luck. Great find !

Awesome find!

Thanks BaldAssCat

Beautiful find man!

Agreed Mudwhale

AMAZING FIND. What a cool piece of history you found :shock:

Real_Rat_Fink - you are so right - see the following.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Earlier today, I wrote to William Combs. He maintains the website that Remmy suggested. William replied as follows:

"What a nice find! You have a belt plate for the Spanish Naval Infantry, what we would call Marines. The pattern was introduced in 1857 and confirmed again in 1886. It is the pattern used during the Spanish American War. It continued in use until 1931. I believe your example dates before 1908 due to the connection method on the reverse and the Argumosa address. Del Aguila seems to have moved his business sometime in the 1910 to 1930 period. How your plate got to central Texas is anybody's guess. Two thoughts come to mind. First, and most likely, it was a Span-Am souvenir dropped in the park sometime after the war. I would also check the local history and see if the park area was ever used to house Spanish POWs during the war. This is not likely, but who knows?"

Get a copy of American Digger magazine and follow their directions as far as where and how to send a pic to them . Even if they don't publish a pic ( and they probably would on such a find ), I'm betting they will ID it for you. These guys love the hobby and are not just publishers ! Good luck. Great find !

Thanks Wom. Just did that.

Back
Top Bottom