Whovtakes charge of curb strips

Bioheat1969

So a small town one town over from mine has some great curb strips, but what town department would I approach for permission to detect? Would they be under the highway dept, parks and cemetaries, or do I just talk to the police in this case?

I’m interested in the answer to his as well, I’ve looked all over the internet and can’t find a definitive answer to who has ownership of curb strips here in MA. Or even who to go to for answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a small town one town over from mine has some great curb strips, but what town department would I approach for permission to detect? ....

Judging from your own wording, of your own post, it appears that you are saying "town owned". Ok, then why does it "need permission" then ?

I know the debate rages over "city owned" vs actually being privately owned, yet public easement/access. And gets further complicated because some people say that different cities, counties, and states can differ.

But just going by what you're already saying in your post, then IMHO, if you *already* determined public/town owned (or, at least, access = ok), then : Why does it "need permission" ? Just like public parks : If there's no rule that says "no md'ing", then presto, not disallowed.

Of course, md'ing has ... uh .... "connotations". So don't be in the middle of deep retrievals in nice manicured turf, if busy-bodies are staring (but, heck, that applies to ANYWHERE).

I guess what I'm trying to determine is this, as near as I've been able to determine, there are no laws in town against md'ing, but it's a fairly well preserved historic small towm, and the curb strips are right on main street. I can just see myself md'ing and some cop coming up to me feeling all small town powerful in his uniform and saying you got permission to be doing this from *insert department) ? They take care of these curb strips you know.
Then being told to move along until I get permission or worst yet getting a ticket or something. This is a bit different than md'ing in my own little farm town where no-one cares, this is a nicely manicured Main Street.

Check with town or county engineers office.
DO NOT MENTION METAL DETECTING OR DIGGING.
If they are city owned because of the easement have at it. It's public property you're public.
Now a homeowner may scram you. Just move on and don't get in any confrontations.
Best time to go is like a Tuesday before lunch when people are at work.
Good luck!

In my area, they are public easement. If you can walk on them, you can detect them. If a home owner has any issues with you being there, move on to the next. Be clean, don't make a mess and enjoy your hunt.

Check with town or county engineers office.
DO NOT MENTION METAL DETECTING OR DIGGING.
If they are city owned because of the easement have at it. It's public property you're public.
Now a homeowner may scram you. Just move on and don't get in any confrontations.
Best time to go is like a Tuesday before lunch when people are at work.
Good luck!
I'll start with the town Enginers Office, they are part of the Public Works Dept., they may send me to the highway department. I was on the Town website, never seen so many departments in my life.
Surprisingly, I'm off work every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so that works out for me.

In my area, they are public easement. If you can walk on them, you can detect them. If a home owner has any issues with you being there, move on to the next. Be clean, don't make a mess and enjoy your hunt.

I try not to get into confrontations with anyone. low key is my thing.

Ive got my own house in the hills now. No sidewalks here. But back in our old apartment in that expletiveing-expletivehole boro of Pittsburgh, our landlord had maple trees planted in the curb strip. We lived there over 10 years (I could kick myself)...but it seemed he had jurisdiction over the strip. And I know for a fact residents were responsible for shoveling sidewalks in the winter. My guess is that in most places its up to the municipality who has jurisdiction over curb strips. It seems like something which is left to that governmental level pretty much. In some places I'm sure it is only assumed, and there may be laws which have been on the back shelf gathering dust for decades. Many times the powers that be may resist having to look it up. It may in fact be not easy task to determine if there is such an ordinace as the new guard may not even know where to look.

....I try not to get into confrontations with anyone.....

Bio-heat : I think you are starting with an implicit premise that .... somehow ... md'ing is "confrontational". Why this starting premise ? :?: If any of us starts with that implied premise, then sure : Grovel away. As if md'ing is harmful, dangerous, reviled, etc.... But since when is that a starting premise ? ( I happen to consider it harmless, safe, and loved.)

..... I can just see myself md'ing and some cop coming up to me feeling all small town powerful in his uniform and saying you got permission to be doing this from *insert department) ?....

Again, this is assuming that somehow what you are doing "needs permission". And thus, cops are *sure* to come up and scrutinize you, blah blah. But why this starting assumption ? Trust me : In this day & age, cops have bigger fish to fry than a geek with a metal detector. So go find that ring your wife lost last night there.

But if you START with an assumption that "everyone is watching me and cops are waiting to bust my chops", then guess what will happen : Your body vibes and persona will reflect a evasive fear. Ie.: you'll be "locking eyes" with a passerbys (with the: "Oh no, does he see me ?" persona). Which will only make the cop think "Gee, what's that guy doing ?". And thus you will simply fuel your VERY OWN FEARS ! So instead, you "act like you own the place". And no one gives 2 sh#ts about you.

....worst yet getting a ticket or something. ...

Ok, and since this is an imminent concern, then I'm sure you have examples of someone "getting a ticket" for detecting muni curb strips, where no law exists that disallow md'ing . Right ? Got links ?

If ever anyone can come up with an example of a "ticket for md'ing", it is invariably someone night sneaking obvious historic off-limits monuments. Or someone being obnoxious who can't take a warning, etc....

If you have any examples of someone detecting a curb-strip who "got a ticket", we're all ears. Would love to see the links.

Here in the city in Michigan (and county) the govt owns from the center of the street, the right of way 33 feet into ‘your’ property. The property owner is required to maintain the curb strip, (and height of grass in the yard), or face possible fine. I could understand if a property owner might get upset seeing someone digging their strip.

Ive got my own house in the hills now. No sidewalks here. But back in our old apartment in that expletiveing-expletivehole boro of Pittsburgh, our landlord had maple trees planted in the curb strip. We lived there over 10 years (I could kick myself)...but it seemed he had jurisdiction over the strip. And I know for a fact residents were responsible for shoveling sidewalks in the winter. My guess is that in most places its up to the municipality who has jurisdiction over curb strips. It seems like something which is left to that governmental level pretty much. In some places I'm sure it is only assumed, and there may be laws which have been on the back shelf gathering dust for decades. Many times the powers that be may resist having to look it up. It may in fact be not easy task to determine if there is such an ordinace as the new guard may not even know where to look.
When we moved to our house in Rye, NY, we had the city plant trees. it is STILL their property. Just because he had them planted, doesn't mean he owns the strip. Pretty sure they are all city/town property.

Curb strips are usually, but not always, a public right of way. In my town, the "boulevards" as they are called, in front of a residential home or private business are the responsibility of the homeowner or business to maintain. For that reason, I knock on the door and " inform" the adjacent property owner that I will be detecting the strips in the area and that I will be respectful of the turf. I do not mention "digging" of any kind. I use the term "recovering". I knock on the door and if they answer, the conversation goes something like this:

"Good afternoon, Sorry to bother you and please know I am not selling anything, evangelizing or politicking. I simply want to inform you that I will be metal detecting the city right of way in the neighborhood. I enjoy finding old trinkets and relics related to our town's history, and I have found a few neat things in the older boulevards, I detect a lot of yards as well if the homeowner is ok with it. Of course I am always respectful and careful to leave no trace that I was ever there. Do you know when your home was built?"

This usually opens a non threating conversation about the neighborhood, their home, and the hobby in general.
On average, 1 out of 10 immediately tell me that they would prefer I don't, especially if I am going to dig. 60% don't care, and tell me to have at it. The other 3 offer to let me hunt their yard as well.
Be bold but polite, redefine your comfort zone and always, always, leave the turf as you found it. Good Luck!!

Here in the city in Michigan (and county) the govt owns from the center of the street, the right of way 33 feet into ‘your’ property. The property owner is required to maintain the curb strip, (and height of grass in the yard), or face possible fine. I could understand if a property owner might get upset seeing someone digging their strip.

So if I have this right, the right-of-way most likely includes the curb strip and the sidewalk. I wouldn't ask for permission, I would simply do it if the curb strip wasn't landscaped. This may actually "nudge" the lot owner, as a civic "duty", to landscape the curb strip or risk MD activity. We would presumably actually be helping the municipality to keep the town looking nicer.
Don't you feel better already! This is probably a lot easier in small towns than cities, for the obvious reasons, but go for it!

Curb strips are usually, but not always, a public right of way. In my town, the "boulevards" as they are called, in front of a residential home or private business are the responsibility of the homeowner or business to maintain. For that reason, I knock on the door and " inform" the adjacent property owner that I will be detecting the strips in the area and that I will be respectful of the turf. I do not mention "digging" of any kind. I use the term "recovering". I knock on the door and if they answer, the conversation goes something like this:

"Good afternoon, Sorry to bother you and please know I am not selling anything, evangelizing or politicking. I simply want to inform you that I will be metal detecting the city right of way in the neighborhood. I enjoy finding old trinkets and relics related to our town's history, and I have found a few neat things in the older boulevards, I detect a lot of yards as well if the homeowner is ok with it. Of course I am always respectful and careful to leave no trace that I was ever there. Do you know when your home was built?"

This usually opens a non threating conversation about the neighborhood, their home, and the hobby in general.
On average, 1 out of 10 immediately tell me that they would prefer I don't, especially if I am going to dig. 60% don't care, and tell me to have at it. The other 3 offer to let me hunt their yard as well.
Be bold but polite, redefine your comfort zone and always, always, leave the turf as you found it. Good Luck!!

Curb strips are a buffer zone where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. However, when the few plant trees in that zone, they have the reasonable expectation that their tree shall not be disturbed until that situation arises.

Attachments

• 12863-18158.jpg
    12863-18158.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 551
Bio-heat : I think you are starting with an implicit premise that .... somehow ... md'ing is "confrontational". Why this starting premise ? :?: If any of us starts with that implied premise, then sure : Grovel away. As if md'ing is harmful, dangerous, reviled, etc.... But since when is that a starting premise ? ( I happen to consider it harmless, safe, and loved.)

Again, this is assuming that somehow what you are doing "needs permission". And thus, cops are *sure* to come up and scrutinize you, blah blah. But why this starting assumption ? Trust me : In this day & age, cops have bigger fish to fry than a geek with a metal detector. So go find that ring your wife lost last night there.

But if you START with an assumption that "everyone is watching me and cops are waiting to bust my chops", then guess what will happen : Your body vibes and persona will reflect a evasive fear. Ie.: you'll be "locking eyes" with a passerbys (with the: "Oh no, does he see me ?" persona). Which will only make the cop think "Gee, what's that guy doing ?". And thus you will simply fuel your VERY OWN FEARS ! So instead, you "act like you own the place". And no one gives 2 sh#ts about you.

Ok, and since this is an imminent concern, then I'm sure you have examples of someone "getting a ticket" for detecting muni curb strips, where no law exists that disallow md'ing . Right ? Got links ?

If ever anyone can come up with an example of a "ticket for md'ing", it is invariably someone night sneaking obvious historic off-limits monuments. Or someone being obnoxious who can't take a warning, etc....

If you have any examples of someone detecting a curb-strip who "got a ticket", we're all ears. Would love to see the links.

No I don't think it's confrontational, and I don't have any examples of people getting tickets for md'ing. I'm sorry if I'm a bit nervous is going from my little farming town to a town that has a bunch of people who have more money than sense for the first time to go md'ing. Please try to remember, I'm new to the hobby, and my little town is all I have experience with in the hobby. I'll be going from walking walls in the woods with no one around to walking along the side walks near 150 year old homes on manicured lawns on a busy Main Street. It's all a bit new to me, and a bit intimidating.

This was probably the most helpful post for me, I really need to know how to go about this, I figured getting permission or at least letting someone know what I was doing was right, who knows maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
What everyone has said above. In most if not all cities in Maryland the city owns out to and including the sidewalk. The property owner is responsible for sidewalk maintenance (including replacement thereof when needed) and mowing the curb strip. Most such owners feel they have all rights to it unless the city needs to do some utility work. This even though as has been said they don't own it in "fee simple". I stay away from curb strips.
Not worth the potential confrontation/agrivation for me.

... I stay away from curb strips.
Not worth the.....

Yes. And I guess I should clarify that : I too simply don't bother (I've got bigger fish to fry and older coins and sites elsewhere). I'm the first to admit that, yes, md'ing has ... uh ... "connotations". But if someone is going to do it, then what I'm addressing is the notion that somehow it "needs permission". And they go running off to city hall swatting hornet's nests.

But sure, I agree with you, while it might not "need permission", yet, sure.... it's a pain in the #ss to hunt them . Since we stand-out-looking odd. :roll: I do hit them if they're in commercial areas of oldtowns. Especially hard pan ones where old coins might not be deep.

Back
Top Bottom