• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Should I upgrade?

aeds151

So I have been using my Whites 6000 Di/Pro SL everyday for a week. I have found a few modern coins in my backyard and now I am hooked. Should I just continue with this one or upgrade to something else. I know nothing about the other machines and technologies. I mostly will detect parks, camp grounds, small creek swim beaches on national forests and would prefer a versatile machine to find relics, coins, gold/jewelry. My budget is between $500-800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking to upgrade to change it up for a bit or do you think there maybe a problem with your MD right now?

Right now the one MD I see that I am also looking at besides the one I just purchased is the Simplex and the Minelab 540 .

GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I dont think there is a problem with my whites at all. It does confuse me sometimes but I dont know enough yet. I cant help but think a newer one will also be more accurate and easier to use. My wife is wanting one. I figure I can get a good one (buy once cry once) and us it if/when she doesnt.

Last edited:
I dont think there is a problem with my whites at all. It does confuse me sometimes but I dont know enough yet. I cant help but think a newer one will also be more accurate and easier to use. My wife is wanting one. I figure I can get a hood one (buy once cry once) and us it if/when she doesnt.

Can you use a friend's MD to see how it works compared to yours?
Where do you live?

Im currently in Northwest Arkansas

I would suggest getting a good pinpointer if you don’t have one and a good digging tool like a lesche. Add a Nokta simplex. That’s around $500. If you already have a good pinpointer and digging tool go for a equinox 600 or 800. Talk to Jeff with Quality Metal Detectors for the best rates on equinox.

Im currently in Northwest Arkansas

If you where closer I'd load up all my MD and hit a local area and see how you like what MD and if yours could still do the same somehow.

I have bought equipment thinking it would save the world or i was missing something and even with having more advanced MD equipment I still use my first ones and they still work well and they all paid themselves off too.

GLHH

I ordered a Garrett Pin Pointer Pro AT last night. I will look into the 800’s. I dont see much about the newer offerings from whites on here. Is there just a lot of other better options out there?

Last edited:
I would suggest spending more time with your current detector, even if it's considered "vintage". Check out everything that might interest you, read reviews, watch videos and listen to more input here. I have owned numerous detectors, starting with a Teknetics Delta and worked my way up to a Nox 800. The Nox was an awesome machine, but I ended up with some serratus muscle problems after swinging it for long periods. Something about the ergonomics just didn't agree with me (straight shaft?). Looking back, I think I had the most fun/luck with an AT Pro. It worked well in my area (I too live in Arkansas, near Russellville). I sold my NOX, due to the muscle strain problem and haven't detected in several months. I just recently started detecting again, using my old Delta and now looking at getting a second detector myself....Detector Acquisition Syndrome has reared it's head once again!!!

Last edited:
I would suggest spending more time with your current detector, even if it's considered "vintage"..... ..... Something about the ergonomics just didn't agree with me (straight shaft?). .....

I agree it's a proven detector that will find just about as much as the more expensive ones once you get to know it. I like how straight shafts collapse but I hate swinging them.

I would suggest spending more time with your current detector, even if it's considered "vintage". Check out everything that might interest you, read reviews, watch videos and listen to more input here. I have owned numerous detectors, starting with a Teknetics Delta and worked my way up to a Nox 800. The Nox was an awesome machine, but I ended up with some serratus muscle problems after swinging it for long periods. Something about the ergonomics just didn't agree with me (straight shaft?). Looking back, I think I had the most fun/luck with an AT Pro. It worked well in my area (I too live in Arkansas, near Russellville). I sold my NOX, due to the muscle strain problem and haven't detected in several months. I just recently started detecting again, using my old Delta and now looking at getting a second detector myself....Detector Acquisition Syndrome has reared it's head once again!!!

I currently live in Russellville. My wife and I checked out some public land today and found about 45 cents and a horse shoe. It was a ton of fun and it has given us something to do together outside (im big into bow hunting deer,she is not). I would love to pick your brain about legal areas we can go with historic value. Im aware the National Forest im familiar with has rules against metal detecting in Archeological sites.

…. Im aware the National Forest im familiar with has rules against metal detecting in Archeological sites....

Actually, NFS has express allowance for md'ing (beats being "silent on the subject", eh ? :laughing: ). If you would like the link, let me know.

But you're right: It's only in-so-far as you're not poaching archaeological stuff. Which is generally interpreted to be items 50 yrs. old or older. So technically, you can hunt for modern coins, jewelry, nuggets, meteorites, and that ring your wife lost their last week.

I never find coins older than 50 yrs., do you ? How good is your math ? But seriously, so long as you're staying clear of obvious historic sensitive monuments (and just doing mundane swim beaches, and/or a cellar hole "out in the middle of nowhere), you'll probably never find anyone to care less.

Congrats on getting another detector

Actually, NFS has express allowance for md'ing (beats being "silent on the subject", eh ? :laughing: ). If you would like the link, let me know.

But you're right: It's only in-so-far as you're not poaching archaeological stuff. Which is generally interpreted to be items 50 yrs. old or older. So technically, you can hunt for modern coins, jewelry, nuggets, meteorites, and that ring your wife lost their last week.

I never find coins older than 50 yrs., do you ? How good is your math ? But seriously, so long as you're staying clear of obvious historic sensitive monuments (and just doing mundane swim beaches, and/or a cellar hole "out in the middle of nowhere), you'll probably never find anyone to care less.

Please share link.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5433372.pdf

I read this as long as I dont go to a known site. I guess I just go to my deer hunting spots and take a shot in the dark?

Last edited:
Please share link. ...

Well, I normally charge $100 for this link. But I'm going to make an exception for you today, and it'll be only $50 (I accept paypal) :D Here you go :

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5261774.pdf

As for your link , I notice a few things :

1) Whatever that is, has, as you see, the location being "within the boundaries of .... archaeological resources". And then it goes on to give a cross-reference to another one of their "orders". You might want to see what that cross-reference says, as to what the definition of these site boundaries are.

I'm going to bet it's sites that, for example, have been granted a trinomial # And is not simply "all NFS land, border-to-border". And as my prior answer says, I acknowledge that, of course, we can't be snooping around obvious historic sensitive monuments. Fine then. And sure, don't find stuff over 50 yrs. old (how good is your math ?). And seriously now, is anyone out in the middle of nowhere, to care in the first place ?

2) I see that the date of this edict that you linked, is 2014. Pretty recent. As if .... it needed "clarifying", and wasn't spelled out clearly prior to that date in 2014. Right ? Lest why else need to spell it out here in 2014 if it were already some sort of prohibition.

And as such, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that I know why such a thing came about in 2014 . And no, it wasn't because "someone must've left holes", or "someone was md'ing in front of an archie and made him mad", blah blah. Instead, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that this has made its way into print, in 2014, because md'rs at that location went in grovelling asking "Can we metal detect ?". And their "pressing question" gets passed up the chain , till ... presto, a law (or clarification, etc..) is born. Gee, aren't we glad we asked ? :roll:

Minelab Equinox, no upgrade necessary after purchase
do as he mentioned
larry and mo and curry
stick there heads in the oven
what happens next ?
most all people follow so sad ,,
do your research buy what you want NOT what every other person
tells you to get,, good luck on a new machine 3030 ctx here NO equinox
i don't follow i lead...

Thanks for the info. The link I sent was a list of special closures specific to the Ozark National Forest. There is blanket orders for all NFS land across the nation but each NF, each being unique, has their own CFR’s (“special orders” sub part b) that is signed by forest supervisor. Lucky for me, the ozark is less stringent than a lot of other forests it seems (e.g. Hoosier NF). Most ppl do not know to check specific forests. I have talked to the archeology team and they were not happy how the cfr was vaguely written. What it comes down to is 1 guy and 1 guy only. The K9 officer for the district who would write the cfr violation notice. I am contacting him tomorrow.

... I am contacting him tomorrow ...

Huh ? Why ? So you can become the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked" routine ? :?:

Read again in what I wrote in post #17 of this thread, point #2 in that post.

.... each being unique, has their own .... the ozark is less stringent than a lot of other .....

Why do you think some zones became more "stringent", in the first place ?

Back
Top Bottom