So whats next? Spend or Keep?

Blaire

So I've gone detecting a couple times and I've already acquired quite a few coins. All but one are possibly worth more than face value. My question is, what do you guys do with all the coins you find? You clean em up and keep them? Or do you spend them? Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

Blaire

So I've gone detecting a couple times and I've already acquired quite a few coins. All but one are possibly worth more than face value. My question is, what do you guys do with all the coins you find? You clean em up and keep them? Or do you spend them? Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

Blaire

I spend the clad and keep the silver.

Saving for an atpro and at the rate iam going by the time i get enough money it will be a discontinued model..

Ha, I'm in California visiting the boyfriend and have been to the beach about 5 times, each time finding at least a few coins. There are some local parks within walking distance. One in particular has been around since 1929. I've found numerous coins, targets left and right. I've only covered about 30% of the park and plan to head back tomorrow. Maybe we can have a race to the at pro :laughing:

Unfortunately I spent most of them. Thats a bad idea though. They add up over time and you can do a lot more with the amount of money that can add up over a year or two.

I saved my clad and memorials and ended up with about $100 when I cashed it in this past year for my first year. all other coins I keep ... not bad considering I try to stay away from clad.

Separate your clad, silver and copper Penneys. Keep the later two, their value increases. The clad spend it. The value of clad is driven down by inflation. For example, a digger costing $50. today will cost $53., possibly more in a year. So the .25 cents you find today will be worth less next year at this time.

Whay kind of metal detector u using? And I never sell my silver coins and I stock the clad till I have no more room then I turn it in. use for gas and batterys. I don't get much clad cause that's not what I hunt for. I hunt sites that's rich in silver coins,relics and jewelry. clad is found on accident sometimes just not a whole lot.

If you want to upgrade your detector or buy some accessories and you have a hard time saving money, then it's an easy way to save for those things.

save, then spend

My ACE 250 has paid for a Garrett propointer and a sniper coil. I kept rolling up ALL the clad and bought a Tesoro Vaquero. The VAC paid for a 2nd propointer. I only use the VAC (10%) at old places or anywhere I'm purposely going deep or in hot soil. I use the ACE (90%) for everything else which is parks...it's still my "money" machine. This past year it paid for a trip to the Eastern Sierras for some serious trout fishing (my other addiction). Save up for a year...you'll be surprised at the amount. This year I've already got $6.72 and I'm considering an AT PRO easily by Christmas.

I save all clad and clean it to buy gear or a plane ticket to go detecting. 2013's silver, clad, lead, gold, and relics will pay for our detecting trip to boston! It adds up quicker than you think. and if you EVER FIND GOLD OR SILVER don't scrap it. Even if its just a plain old mans band. FInd someone needing that band and sell it for well over scrap value. I have sold several silver rings for around $75. All under 5 grams with no stones. WAY BETTER THAN the $3.50 spot melt price! All that cash goes into an envelope and towards gear or a trip. Purchased a gopro camera with last years clad!

I have a Ace 250. I love it! The only thing that is questionable with me is the pinpointer. I'll have a target, go over it with the pinpointer function, and it seems sometimes if I move over it I'll get no signal. In order to get it working again I will have to let go of the pinpointer button and press it again. I'm guessing it is just user error with me a newb and what not... Any suggestions?

I save all clad and clean it to buy gear or a plane ticket to go detecting. 2013's silver, clad, lead, gold, and relics will pay for our detecting trip to boston! It adds up quicker than you think. and if you EVER FIND GOLD OR SILVER don't scrap it. Even if its just a plain old mans band. FInd someone needing that band and sell it for well over scrap value. I have sold several silver rings for around $75. All under 5 grams with no stones. WAY BETTER THAN the $3.50 spot melt price! All that cash goes into an envelope and towards gear or a trip. Purchased a gopro camera with last years clad!

I know all about the melting prices with precious metal, I make and sell jewelry as a hobby, so I can spot silver or gold from a mile away... If only I could spot it underground:D

What to do

I am retired and hunt alot. I get around $50.00 a month in clad and show it at club meetings and then roll it and spend it for gas. The copper pennies I keep, I have over a hundred pounds in copper pennies how. The silver, I keep. I love looking at my silver coins, all the walking liberty, and ben franklin halfs, and quarters and mercury and roosevelt silver dimes. I have almost three full quart jars of wheat pennies. Today I found a 1913-d penny, along with a 1936 and 37 penny. Of coarse, I tumble the clad tell they look like they never were in the ground before I spend them.

I have a Ace 250. I love it! The only thing that is questionable with me is the pinpointer. I'll have a target, go over it with the pinpointer function, and it seems sometimes if I move over it I'll get no signal. In order to get it working again I will have to let go of the pinpointer button and press it again. I'm guessing it is just user error with me a newb and what not... Any suggestions?
You are not alone. The PP acts up on me occasionally , also. Oh , I save the coins , don't know what for yet.

Tumble clean and roll them and turn them all in at the end of the year.

Then I buy a small Gold coin with the $$. Usually a Ducat. :D

I hang onto the silver, I spend the clad. I'm sure there is someone on the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission wondering where the heck all of these dirty brown coins are coming from.

My favorite thing to do is spend the really nasty ones in McDonalds, half of their employees are lost anyway, that just gives them something else to deal with. Sometimes I don't even clean all of the mud off just to watch their faces...LOL. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom