Kicked OUT OF THE WATER TODAY **UPDATE** Post 66

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Last two days were absolutely busy. From a tow rope wrapped around a prop, to a grab handle in a marina, Then to an anchor chain around a prop, to a cell phone in a river, then to a pair of glasses in a marina. I decided to take a break and go look for gold.

Here is the kicker. A lady drowned yesterday and they haven't found her yet. Folks all over in the swim area where she drowned. So I flagged down a STATE POLICE TRUCK. Talked to him and got the green light to go in because the area had already been searched heavily. Since folks were in the swim area where she drowned and that had been searched, I believed I would be fine.

GUESS WHO shows up? Detroit police of course. They tell me to get out. Tricky situation. Where I dive from is run by the State Police, the water is run by the Detroit Police.

Anyway, I understood what they are doing and they called the State Police and the officer apologized for me getting bad information. HOWEVER, this is not over. I had NO PROBLEM leaving. I had a problem with all the idle threats I was given by the Detroit Police before the State Police arrived.

This ISN'T OVER. If I am treated with respect that is fine. Don't threaten to impound all my gear and my truck and leave me stranded.

My finds were a wheat cent and a small brass charm before the fiasco. Maybe they can confiscate my gear until court if they want to go that far, but my truck on state land? Shot off an email to my atty. I refuse to be shoved around.

Anyway, stay tuned. To me this is worth the fight. Today wasn't a day to argue my point at all. There is a dead person in the river.

Last edited:
I applaud you for doing what is right, even though most of us wouldn't.
Let me know if you want to start a gofundme page or something, I think it's worth it:yes:

Never fails! Every Summer, when the water starts to get hot, Old Dee gets a bit surly and is nothing to be trifled with by Man or Beast! :laughing: Take it easy this year Dee...you will be doing them a favor by not going all full up like normal...poor new group of LEOS dont know what they have coming so you should be a bit merciful..stand your ground of course for them to learn, but yeah....

I do enjoy hearing your escapades. You are an excellent example of how one should conduct himself in encounters with LE.

Let me know if you want to start a gofundme page or something, I think it's worth it:yes:
"GoFundMe"? :laughing: Have you seen how much money this boy is pulling finding stuff for other people? :gettinmoney:

LOL, thanks for all the positive replies. I expected a lot worse.

As I stated. I got the green light. BEFORE I went in. I am not one to push my rights around when something serious is happening.

BUT no officer has the right to threaten to take all my gear as evidence and impound my truck. Sure I have more gear and that would be a very small inconvenience. But my truck?

I shot an email to my lawyer and I have a couple to talk to tomorrow. They want war they will have it.

Just because my salvage operation is small doesn't make it not legal. There is another HUGE problem with the law. But I won't get into that on here. Some folks might be happy that I am being harassed.

I am actually shocked at how much folks are willing to pay me for my adventures. I had two more today. This hobby is absolutely crazy this year.

Sounds like you are running around like crazy, wow!
Best to let the police take a break and everyone can calm down, i hope it all goes smoothly for you.

i like the fact that you stand your ground scuba! good luck with the current "battle", hopefully things go the proper way and in your favor.

on to the other subject: a lady drowns, is still missing and rather than making use of the services of a perfectly qualified person to assist them in the search, the cops give you a hard time instead? what's up with that, are they that dumb?
in this area, the local Ground Search and Rescue are all volunteers, but the authorities sure don't turn them away from a search. they not only call on them, but they welcome the help from the available resources!

Pete

Oh !!!!,.... Not another scuba legal adventure. Scuba scuba scuba, I told you long ago to "give lip service" and comply. And mind you , this is coming from one of the obstinate forum "just go" and "don't be p*ssy" advocate, as you know.

But nnneeooohhh. Must be that former LEO side of you . I will contribute to your "go fund me bail $$" fund. Just kidding, I know you say you got permission. But sheeessk, put yourself in their shoes (not an easy job, as you recall). The next LEO passer-by, knowing of the drowning (albeit already searched for) is simply/only going to see a diver (non LEO diver), and his mind runs wild. The mere fact that this subsequent LEO is still out there looking around, would mean that they haven't totally "closed the books" on this. So .... couldn't you have given them lip service & complied (albeit explaining your permission all-the-while ).

Scuba scuba scuba, I told you long ago to "give lip service" and comply. And mind you , this is coming from one of the obstinate forum "just go" and "don't be p*ssy" advocate, as you know.

Gotta agree. You mess with the popo where i live, they will make sure you regret it. Of course the worse ones i ever ran into was in New Orleans:shock:

Wow Scuba... The more stories I hear from your end, the more I'm happy I'm not in the Detroit area. You would think if they saw an experienced diver in the area they would of welcomed you in and paid you if you found the lady. Waiting to hear how this one turns out. Way to stand your ground.

Tom, I wasn't trying to give lip service. I was trying to explain. He would have none of it. He was right and I was wrong period. He slammed my business, Said finding things for folks was not a salvage diver. Slammed me because I am not a certified salvage diver. Tried to make what I do as petty and he has all the power and I was nothing.

THAT is going to get him nowhere. The Sgt is a power freak period and he needs to be put in his place.

I was not trying to argue with him. Not even trying to stand my ground. Will just see what the lawyer says today.

Back
Top Bottom