Riddle me this Batman...

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
How can a site be "hunted out", but you can still find stuff there?

I've seen it said "a site is never hunted-out".... until a new detector is released, then like wizardry, it's "found these in a hunted-out site".

Does a new release put the universe through some black hole type dimension?

Inquiring minds want to know........

A new MD never ever hurt but what I think is happening is Mother Nature.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

My opinion.

You hunt a site with a detector too long you get complacent. You know the signals of it and you skip targets. You get a new toy.

Signal might be different, might be the same but you get one. Old detector you KNEW it was trash. New detector you want to find out what it is telling you, so you dig.

And you find a beautiful silver coin next to a piece of iron. New detector is now the GREATEST!! Your old detector didn't find it.

NOT TRUE, you just knew everything about your old one and the signal you got just wasn't one you wanted to dig.

Other variables like depth, moisture, angle of hunt, orientation of object in the ground, frost heave, will also come into play, but I think this happens more often than not.

They only place that is ever hunted is is my bank account. Then again I am married... :laughing: Although every once in awhile I can still squueze a zincoln out of it.

Well ya see, You've no doubt heard the term "Coins Travel?" on certain times of the year, like in the Spring on a full moon, after a nice soaking rain generally, old silver coins come up to the surface from out underneath sidewalks and beds of nails and such and migrate to spawn...!

I've seen whole hatches of barber dimes skipping along like a pack of silver tiddly-winks!! I've seen Walker halfs scuttling along furiously like a fleet of baby turtles! I've seen a whole field full of Morgan dollars getting it on in the mud like a hippy music festival!

Then, after they are finished mating, the coins burrow back down and find a nice hiding spot like under a bottlecap or a pulltab or a handful of clad....

So theres your answer as to 'No Place is Ever Hunted Out!' Like catching the grunion run! You gotta be there at just the perfect time! :laughing::laughing:!!

Wow Mud that's some real good chit you been smokin'![emoji1]

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Zombie Coins that also only come out at night when there is a full moon. Usually dragging a leg or foot in search of unwilling fresh clad to feast on.

Until you experience it yourself most don't believe me and for those who do live to MD another day at a known location.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

How can a site be "hunted out", but you can still find stuff there?

I've seen it said "a site is never hunted-out"...........

If someone "still finds stuff there", then ... by definition, the site WASN'T HUNTED OUT. Doh ! :laughing:

So when someone says "This site is hunted out", yet someone goes there and finds something, does NOT mean that : "Therefore, no site is ever hunted out". Instead it merely means that the person was mistaken on whether or not the site was hunted out.

I can indeed think of sites that were/are "hunted out". But no, it will probably never apply to junky turfed parks though. Perhaps more accurate, for those parks, to say "Not worth it anymore"

But yes, I can think of other places that A) depth was not an issue (gophers or deeper seeking machines are never going to help), and B) We cleaned out every signal, such that all you hear is utter silence, no matter how deep you go.

One such picnic site we hit, was used from 1880-ish to 1920-ish. It gave up about 150 coins of that era (including a $5 gold). It had never had any structure, therefore there were almost zero nails/iron. It predated all modern aluminum and trash, therefore we had the liberty to "dig all". It had zero modern influence after 1920-ish (out in the hills), so there was nearly zero modern trash. Nothing was over 6" or so. Thus we literally cleaned out every signal.

I would say a site like that is "worked out".

My opinion.

You hunt a site with a detector too long you get complacent. You know the signals of it and you skip targets. You get a new toy.

Signal might be different, might be the same but you get one. Old detector you KNEW it was trash. New detector you want to find out what it is telling you, so you dig.

And you find a beautiful silver coin next to a piece of iron. New detector is now the GREATEST!! Your old detector didn't find it.

NOT TRUE, you just knew everything about your old one and the signal you got just wasn't one you wanted to dig.

Other variables like depth, moisture, angle of hunt, orientation of object in the ground, frost heave, will also come into play, but I think this happens more often than not.

This right here^^^

This has actually got me thinking about a few places I have hit heavily, except for those few signals that " I know" are trash, maybe I should go back

I have also read in the forums here about someone going back to a site they 'hunted out' but with different setting on the same MD. They then found more stuff.

Seems there is always something missed.

gremlins, they are always looking for places to dig and hide more coins. Hunted out spots are the best, no one ever looks there again.

I have also read in the forums here about someone going back to a site they 'hunted out' but with different setting on the same MD. They then found more stuff.

Seems there is always something missed.

It is so easy to miss targets ESPECIALLY wit concentric coils. Look at the diagram:

So if the coin is at the end of the coils reach and lets say you are swinging a 10" coil, if you move the machine more than a couple of inches for your next swing, you missed the target. Under water I see this ALL the time. I don't move my swings more than an inch sometimes and get new deep beeps. Nature of the beast.

Well ya see, You've no doubt heard the term "Coins Travel?" on certain times of the year, like in the Spring on a full moon, after a nice soaking rain generally, old silver coins come up to the surface from out underneath sidewalks and beds of nails and such and migrate to spawn...!

I've seen whole hatches of barber dimes skipping along like a pack of silver tiddly-winks!! I've seen Walker halfs scuttling along furiously like a fleet of baby turtles! I've seen a whole field full of Morgan dollars getting it on in the mud like a hippy music festival!

Then, after they are finished mating, the coins burrow back down and find a nice hiding spot like under a bottlecap or a pulltab or a handful of clad....

So theres your answer as to 'No Place is Ever Hunted Out!' Like catching the grunion run! You gotta be there at just the perfect time! :laughing::laughing:!!

I read that with the Dark Side of The Moon playing in my head

iu

I agree with Scuba Steve, and have posted similar thoughts with someone being unfamiliar with a new machine, and digging signals they normally wouldn't have with their "old" one, because they knew it so well.

So then we all agree, making posts claiming to make finds from "hunted-out" sites is simply bull puckey, and simply a way to infer ones awesomeness with a MD.

Then stop :laughing:

iu

Hammered; sure. But hunted out? I know better now. I have at times returned to places I gridded multiple times, but with different settings, and/or different standards for what I will dig. These changes produced many keepers. I believe I could find even more keepers in these hammered spots, if I learned and used a different machine of comparable or better quality.

Reminds me of a buddy who releases Indian head cents back into the dirt if he already has the date. Catch and release and it’s never hunted out![emoji226]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom