The tedium of the learning curve

Missouri Mule

I have been slowly working the tedious greenhorn learning curve of metal detecting. I settled on an AT Pro and have commenced to learning it . . . It has been like wrestling a wild water hose with every signal and noise . . . 91 then 27 then 77 then 32, all mixed in with various iron groans and promising chirps. After two hours of work I detected all junk except for a 1996 D clad penny and a 1983 rabies vaccination tag. I finally managed to get it under control where I could manage to discriminate my targets, which resulted in the rabies tag and penny. I am detecting in my neighborhood, an old dying town founded in 1870's. My problem is figuring out from the old photos where the boardwalks would have been. Basically, I have way too many targets so I have been trying to learn to screen the junk. That said, all I am finding is junk like beer cans, pepper spray cans, big nails and washers, a condenser from an old motor, etc. . . . I hope I am am a quick learn so I can finally graduate to at least a nickel. So far with the AT Pro I have found an old toy jeep, two pennies, and a rabies tag. The rest has been piles of junk.

Yep; the learning curve can be tough. It weeds out the less determined.
There are many tips to be found in these forums to help improve your skills. Here's mine:
Keep at it, (in good locations) and better things will be found. :yes:

We all go thru that learning process. I was so tempted to wrap my machine around a tree that i was looking for one that would break the danged thing into pieces. But I had a lot of money invested in it and I remembered that before I swung the machine at the tree. Now i love that machine as it has done me very well over the years My last permission yielded 37 wheat back pennies, one silver quarter, four silver mercury dimes and two silver roosevelt dimes and a couple bucks in modern clad. You might try finding some areas with less trash until you get a better grip on what the machine is telling you.

Just remember all that junk could be masking some really good stuff. By skipping over it you may be leaving the good stuff behind. You may need to dig everything for a while to clear out the junk to get at the goods below. Try it in a promising area. Go to all metal mode. Mark it out and dig until you don't hear any more signals and see what you get.

Cliff

I was very excited when I got my AT Pro. I was driving home after my first day trying to figure out how to tell my wife I just wasted a lot of money on it. I couldn't come up with a good way, so I kept at it. Now it is my favorite machine, and I have had some awesome finds. I set it in Pro Coin mode, brought the sensitivity down three marks, and ground balanced. It seemed to fall into place after that. I dug a lot of junk, but was quickly able to determine the size of the item, and that helped a lot. I did that by burying things and then scanning them (coins, cans, rings, etc.) By the way, if you bury one of your wife's rings, put it in a plastic bag first - or she gets mad. It takes practice and trial and error, and good sites to hunt. You will get it.

Back
Top Bottom