Coin Percentages

gseuser

Elite Member
Hey everyone! Ive always wanted to know the odds of finding a such and such coin. For instance, as soon as you get that sweet silver tone and pop out a silver coin everyones thoughts go to "What could it be??" So I devised a spreadsheet that will tell you the odds of what it could be plus some dates. I did Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars Capped Bust to 1964. I hope people enjoy this! If there are any other percents you want please let me know!

Obviously your odds are substantially different depending on the area your hunting. For instance if you are in the middle of an old field your odds are much better at a Seated than a Rosie.

Total silver dimes produced 1809-1964: 10,035,831,842

Rosie: 65.72% Total Produced: 6,595,617,673

Merc: 26.7% Total Produced: 2,676,523,880

Barber: 5% Total Produced: 504,515,051

Seated: 2.5% Total Produced: 247,465,044

Capped Bust: .12% Total Produced:11,710,194

Total Silver Quarters produced 1815-1964: 4,422,022,933

Washington: 85.4% Total Produced: 3,776,126,601

SLQ: 5.1% Total Produced: 226,770,400

Barber: 5.8% Total Produced: 258,129,992

Seated: 3.5% Total Produced: 155,498,956

Capped Bust: .12% Total Produced: 5,496,984

Total Half Dollars Produced: 2,611,737,029 90%: 1,762,842,023 40%: 848,895,006

Kennedy 90%: 16.5% Total Produced: 429,509,450

Kennedy 40%: 32.5% Total Produced:848,895,006

Franklin: 17.8% Total Produced:465,814,454

Walking Liberty: 18.6%Total Produced: 485,320,640

Barber: 5.2% Total Produced:135,898,559

Seated: 5.9%Total Produced: 155,210,824

Capped Bust: 3.5% Total Produced:91,088,096

If you see a Merc in the hole but don't know the date you have a .009% chance of it being a 16D. If you see its a 1916 you have a .81% chance its a 16D.

If you see a Washington quarter in the hole but dont see the date there is a .02% chance of it being a 1932 D or S. If you see a 1932 you have a .17% chance of it being a 32 D or S.

You are more likely to find a Seated Half than a Barber Half.

You are more likely to find a 1964D Rosie than all of the Barber, Seated, and Capped Bust Dimes ever made.

.... Obviously your odds are substantially different depending on the area your hunting.....

Your mintage amount studies are interesting. But the above statement says it all : The mintage statistics/demographics are "thrown out the window", depending on where a person is hunting.

I can think of places we've hit, where every single coin is an old coin . Stage stops or cellar hole type spots where all human influence stopped at the turn of the century-ish. So that ANY coin you get will ..... at the newest ..... be 1900-ish (or 1870s, or 1860s, or whatever).

Another location I have fond memories of, was a picnic site that went defunct in the early 1920s. So EVERY SINGLE coin (out of 150-ish found there) was, at a minimum, an early wheatie, early merc, early buffalo, and mostly barbers, V's, a smattering of seateds, a CC $5 gold, etc.... The single exception was a rogue memorial out there, from some passing rancher or hunter. Doh! :cool:

I love it! Another "Stats Guy"!! :D

I wonder how things change as to where the coin was minted?? I mean, finding them in certain parts of the county or certain states.

Question: Are coins recycled back to the treasury at all like paper currency is?

Im guessing no, but Im not sure.

Wow very cool post! Thanks for taking the time to create it! I have not dug a seated half but have dug a barber half. Looks like your best odds of finding a capped bust anything is a half too! Crazy!

Do you statistics take into account coinage that is taken out of circulation by the treasury department and melted down?

Also, keep in mind that if X coins are minted, it does not guarantee that X coins were placed into circulation.

Do you statistics take into account coinage that is taken out of circulation by the treasury department and melted down?

Also, keep in mind that if X coins are minted, it does not guarantee that X coins were placed into circulation.

I just did all business circulation strike coins. I did not look for figures saying X amount was melted down I was just taking the mintage numbers into account.

I love it! Another "Stats Guy"!! :D

I wonder how things change as to where the coin was minted?? I mean, finding them in certain parts of the county or certain states.

All I did was calculate the percentages. I'm not mathematically inclined enough to calculate every factor into finding something. For instance, the odds of finding a San Francisco minted coin on the west coast would be greater than finding one on the east coast but i'm not sure how the odds of finding a New Orleans minted Barber in Bozeman, Montana would be but I often wonder about such things:lol:

I have found around 50 silvers this year and they break down as such:

10 Spanish
Cut Pine tree Shilling
Louis 14 4 Sol
1830 Bust Dime
2 Mexico republic 1 reales
1852 Trime
10 Seated
Barber Half
Walker Half
1 SLQ
Around 10 Barber dimes
Around 10 merc, rosies and Washingtons

I obviously focus on the older sites

All I did was calculate the percentages. I'm not mathematically inclined enough to calculate every factor into finding something. For instance, the odds of finding a San Francisco minted coin on the west coast would be greater than finding one on the east coast but i'm not sure how the odds of finding a New Orleans minted Barber in Bozeman, Montana would be but I often wonder about such things:lol:

Ive never found a San Francisco Barber or Seated but I have found a few New orleans and oddly quite a few Carson City Seated. Denver Barbers pretty common too. I did find this Seated kinda looks like a S

Attachments

• CF749C09-80C6-4D73-A592-BF6B953D29D3.jpg
    CF749C09-80C6-4D73-A592-BF6B953D29D3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 142
Ive never found a San Francisco Barber or Seated but I have found a few New orleans and oddly quite a few Carson City Seated. Denver Barbers pretty common too. I did find this Seated kinda looks like a S

That is indeed an S mint mark...

That’s a great post,even just taking the basics into account. No joy on that Seated half though,but have dug 3 Barbers. That’s one statistic I wasn’t expecting. Looking at the mintages,there’s a lot of Seated coins out there(or WERE...)
Yep,location location LOCATION!:grin:
Awesome job putting that together!

I just did all business circulation strike coins. I did not look for figures saying X amount was melted down I was just taking the mintage numbers into account.

The percentages are likely smaller. For silver dimes for example, there were 10,035,831,842 minted between 1806 and 1964. Assuming this value is for coins intended for circulation only, how many of those 10,035,831,842 dimes actually made it into circulation and didn't just sit in the treasury vault (or in some cases bank vaults) never to see the light of day?

It would make for some interesting statistics to see how many of what variety were pulled from circulation by either the treasury, or a capsized ship, or banking apathy, or transportation of US coinage to other countries only to be lost there. I will see if I can dig up those numbers, if they exist. Presumably, the Treasury Department should have those numbers somewhere.

Then the proof coins as well are not being accounted for...

All in all, great work, I’m sure it took a decent bit of time figuring it all up. It’s impossible to get every calculation on this. Who knows how many coins get sent to melt every year.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Good work, ive often wondered what % of coins are in the ground, haha. Detectors know there are coins everywhere, but I doubt most people have any idea how many coins are buried. The thought of how many coins are out there is astonishing really. My dad told me he worked for 1.00 week when a kid before WW2. Lost his wallet with 2 dollars in it while plowing a field and looked for days for it. 50 years later, he would point out that field every time we went back to his home town to decorate graves. I can remember in the 60's while young, if i had a dime for candy, i was in high cotton, haha. Makes you wonder when you find an old coin going back a century or more who lost it, how did it affect them that week, or mabye even month. Hmm!

Back
Top Bottom