If you love detecting please read

2108silver1

I just wanna say something I see , my buddies see probably many see. If I come across jealous or bitter I am neither. I had something interesting happen over the weekend.
Long story short we were told by a homeowner that recently there has been a group of 7 guys that had basically done a group hunt on that street. She said the group just worked there way down the street. I have seen several new clubs by folks being started in my area. You see them on Facebook book. They hold big group hunts at old public parks etc. And lots of people are out there knocking on doors thinking they are gonna get rich on YouTube. The last 30 years have been hard on my area in a 4 hour radius. If you love detecting just go detect if you wanna make channel cool .if you want start a club cool . but for The love of detecting and preservation of our hobby please don't do a group sweep like Vikings through small town America Its neighborhoods or parks .

Unless you live where you can find the good old silvers in a public area then we are left to permissions. Yes we participate in a hobby that the venue to to do is based mostly on the generosity of the wonderful people that share there home with us. If not it would just be a ton of folks hunting a few old parks.
So if you are new please don't do mass group hunts in a neighborhood. And please don't wear the public out on detecting because you need clicks or footage for a channel. A lot of us love meeting new folks making new friends learning about history and cherishing the treasure we find. A lot of us just wanna get outside relax and maybe find some treasure.

Last edited:
I can see your point. I myself am not too happy the direction this hobby is heading. And you've got these assinine detecting shows that attracts all types. And then is seems every Joe smo with a Go pro thinks he going to famous and rich even if he has to fake finds for views. On a downward trend IMO. Mark

There's nothing left to find here in California.:no:

Same here in Central Iowa. Nothing left to find, no need to form a club, no need for a large, group hunt. I've found it all in just the past four years and there's literally nothing left, so don't bother:laughing:

Seriously though, if your going to knock on doors, do curb strips, or even small-town USA parks, I think two detectorists is the perfect number, three at the most. A posse of seven is just obnoxious and begging for the locals to be weary and feel overburdened.

Yep. One is perfect, two is fun with great fellowship and sharing of our hobby. Three is tuff due to how to divide up a property or yard, any more makes things kinda awkward.

Glad to hear others of same opinion.

It is very similar around my parts....Outlaws "this" and Puget Sound "that" clubs come into public parks and blanket the area. Some of those hunters look like they're digging/spading the heck out of a devil in the ground at times (overly aggressive with their shovel usage). Doesn't leave a good impression of what they are doing to the ground.....:roll:

I just shake my head.:(

The really problem is when they spill over into the residential areas and when you door-knock, the owners mention that they had 5+ detector guys run through their street recently....some owners don't forget and can recount back 5, 10 or even more years ago. $ape and Pillage...is not the impression I want to leave for homeowners....

Funny some of these guys buy a detector and start a channel. At once
My whole point of this is maybe some of these guys will read this and rethink their footprint. My thought when i detect is get a permission on a street then go to another. Not sweep the street till its clean. Don't want folks thinking there's detectors everywhere. And they get tired of us. Also if ya don't pound places in the dirt there's always something for someone else or yourself to come back to.

Funny some of these guys buy a detector and start a channel. At once
My whole point of this is maybe some of these guys will read this and rethink their footprint. My thought when i detect is get a permission on a street then go to another. Not sweep the street till its clean. Don't want folks thinking there's detectors everywhere. And they get tired of us. Also if ya don't pound places in the dirt there's always something for someone else or yourself to come back to.

It's hard to change a footprint when a dull brain and clumsy feet are involved.
Greed and a lack of common sense have played a very large part in the ruination of detecting and will most certainly continue to do so.

I just wanna say something I see , my buddies see probably many see. If I come across jealous or bitter I am neither. I had something interesting happen over the weekend.
Long story short we were told by a homeowner that recently there has been a group of 7 guys that had basically done a group hunt on that street. She said the group just worked there way down the street. I have seen several new clubs by folks being started in my area. You see them on Facebook book. They hold big group hunts at old public parks etc. And lots of people are out there knocking on doors thinking they are gonna get rich on YouTube. The last 30 years have been hard on my area in a 4 hour radius. If you love detecting just go detect if you wanna make channel cool .if you want start a club cool . but for The love of detecting and preservation of our hobby please don't do a group sweep like Vikings through small town America Its neighborhoods or parks .

Unless you live where you can find the good old silvers in a public area then we are left to permissions. Yes we participate in a hobby that the venue to to do is based mostly on the generosity of the wonderful people that share there home with us. If not it would just be a ton of folks hunting a few old parks.
So if you are new please don't do mass group hunts in a neighborhood. And please don't wear the public out on detecting because you need clicks or footage for a channel. A lot of us love meeting new folks making new friends learning about history and cherishing the treasure we find. A lot of us just wanna get outside relax and maybe find some treasure.

Youtube was the worst thing to happen to diggin..

Every vid I come across I automatically thumbs down ...

no reflection on you personally, but "keep 'em out there" wherever you are!..you are correct!..we don't need massive "sweep hunts" from people in public places period! I hardly ever see "anybody" detecting when I hunt! I like that just fine! thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Same here in Central Iowa. Nothing left to find, no need to form a club, no need for a large, group hunt. I've found it all in just the past four years and there's literally nothing left, so don't bother:laughing:

Seriously though, if your going to knock on doors, do curb strips, or even small-town USA parks, I think two detectorists is the perfect number, three at the most. A posse of seven is just obnoxious and begging for the locals to be weary and feel overburdened.

correct! it's just asking for trouble! have hunted for over 35 years, and what you DON'T want to Do is attract attention!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

We have a bozo out here on the beach who has a channel and usually brings 5 or 6 other people. It's ridiculous. But to hear that going on for you dirt hunters would be horrible. The staged , fake finds is only to keep the channel moving. Our local club can have 25-30 out swinging. But that's totally different. Beaches continuously change. Dirt does not.

Back
Top Bottom