Nox800

Max houser

got my new Equinox 800 today... I was told it is way simpler than my etrac...:roll:
I know it's only been about 6 hours since it arrived... but this thing is super complicated compared to the E-trac.. just sayin';)

oh yeh, I still use a flip phone cause I couldn't figure out how to use a smart phone.

Jak is right. Put it in Park 1 mode, don't worry about anything else for now. Just start swinging it, and start off by getting used to the tones. It's a quite capable machine, just using the factory presets...

Steve

thanks guys.. I was kinda looking to program it like my E-trac ... I could write my own programs and save them... looks like on this machine I have to alter the existing ones.
and does anyone know if I can set specific VDI range numbers to higher tones? I don't mean a whole bank, just certain numbers... the E-trac used to scream silver and if I could set just those numbers that silver comes in at a slightly higher tone that would be great.

If your using 5 tones you can set up bins that segment I.D. numbers. Pitch and volume of tone in each bin can be set the way you want them. DirtFishing on youtube has a nice little walk thru on doing it if you don't want to use the manual. In 50 tones I don't think you can control pitch or volume on say the silver range.

When you get to the point that you need to try different settings there are plenty of youtube videos on the subject. But my warning.....If you are not careful you'll get confused trying to take this from that video and that from this video so The previous posters advice is probably best for now.

For me I spent time researching what the settings were and how they work. I can't say I understand them 100% yet but I know enough now to tweak some things the way I like.

I know people say that you don't have to ground balance but I never understood that. That setting is there for a reason and to me it is an important one if you want the best performance. Also I am a big fan of using the threshold at barely audible. I learned years ago on the MXT that doing that was key to finding deep targets. I don't know if the Equinox works the same way but I will always use it for that reason.

All that being said I still have a lot to learn about the Equinox

Just curious, how long did it take you to learn the E-trac?

inside and out? 3 years... enough to find silver regularly...about 6months. after about 5 years I could tell by tone what i was digging and usually how deep...I ran it in all metal with a hot sens setting... I would listen for certain tones... the numbers will fool you when running hot. I dug V nickels that came in a 12-09 and some IH's that came in a 12-17... don't rely on the numbers.. they are nice to glance at to get an idea but everything else is in the tone.

Not trying to cause trouble, but I'd give the Nox as much time.

Yep, factory reset is a good friend too...lol! I'd get frustrated and erase my stuff, along with my worries. Then learn some more. It's a process, but you should really begin to enjoy your NOX in no time. There are many here that have a lot of experience and their knowledge is priceless.....HH!

got my new Equinox 800 today... I was told it is way simpler than my etrac...:roll:
I know it's only been about 6 hours since it arrived... but this thing is super complicated compared to the E-trac.. just sayin';)

oh yeh, I still use a flip phone cause I couldn't figure out how to use a smart phone.

The Equinox is as easy or as advanced as one wants to make it. It is not for everybody. I know some outstanding detector users that tried it and said NO!
They did not get past the very beginner levels however. Those who really try to learn it and put in the time will eventually be rewarded. I have found enough clad, pre 1964 silver coins, gold and silver jewelry and gold nuggets to buy 10 Equinox 800s at its current $949 price in the almost three years since I bought my original Nox 600.

I went straight from mostly using an X-Terra 705 to the Equinox 600. I was one of the lucky ones since they share a lot of features, universal labels and operational steps.

It took me about 100 hours to start to get the hang of the Equinox 600. I stayed in Park 1 default with sensitivity between 16 and 20, 5 tones. I noise cancelled it ground balanced every time I hunted and I made myself use the onboard pinpoint function too. All three of those operations were actually easier than the same functions on the X-Terra 705 at least for me. I previously had used an Explorer and Safari. They are totally different from the Equinox in my opinion. I bought an Equinox 800 as soon as they were widely available.

I have at least 4,000 hours on the Equinox platform now. I keep a log. I am rarely surprised by what I dig unless the target is 10" deep or more but even then, I can at least tell with 90% certainty if the target will be iron, or a non-ferrous low, mid or high conductor and more often than not the Equinox tells me exactly what the target is if I pay attention. I do have a bit of a hard time switching from the Equinox to the Deus, my AT Gold or my Teknetics G2+. The Equinox has forced me to become a lot better detectorist both in theory and in practice since it simply does not function like its predecessors or other single frequency detectors.

Back
Top Bottom