• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I didn't find it metal detecting...

MytBrednec

I'm trying to figure out what this thing is and there is an extensive and varied collection of knowledgeable folks on here.
Thanks in advance!
34f58d00aeffc9150d9b740d6752022d.jpg
10f83ee662bd652ccaab54a8d9107c2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sample bottle?

It could be a sample bottle of sorts perhaps dropped into a well and it sinks to the bottom then a string or rope is pulled popping the cork out and then it fills with a sample of water , They do this on barges carrying lube oils but with a more updated setup of course , just an idea.
Rob

Where's the handle in the last pic?

Is the bottom "open", or is it a sealed glass vessel?
Best as I can tell, the recesses into the galvanized part when the bottom of the jug is in an upright position. That also ensures that the cork stopper is out of the neck of the jug. The only way for the cork to seal the jug would be to have the jug upside down being carried by the handle.

Definitely not homemade.

Can we get a picture of the base and what does the embossing say?
I've been trying to get more pics. I believe the gal who sent me these didn't buy this thing at the antique store she was in. I've tried doing an image search and not had any luck.
Pretty certain this was commercially made and obviously has some purpose, but damned if I can figure out what it's for. Lol

I've never actually seen one in person, but could it be a really old version of one of those fire pot things brush firemen use to burn a containment area for forestfires?

Total guess here, don't even know if such a thing exists but..
Could it be a milk bottle hung upside down to separate the cream?
Don't know but it's interesting.

Weird one. I will guess it is a watering jug made to fit upside down onto a gravity fed water station hopper type deal. You fill it when upright, then lift, cork, and invert. Use the carry handle to carry it to the "watering station". Then invert it and place onto the specially designed hopper dealy. Push the handle down to pop the cork, and the self-filling water trough fills so the chickens can drink all day.

Back
Top Bottom