Talk About Fancy UPDATED; Cleaned up great

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Hit my old standby city park today. At first I thought it was a match safe, It was black like an old coin and when I rubbed it with my thumb I saw fancy and thought it had to be silver and turns out to be an art deco lipstick case. Couldn't find the exact one on line, the stone appears to be emerald and it is 100% engraved. Although I can't see any marking it has quite a heft to it and I don't think China was doing knock-offs back then. The one's on line say .800 silver. I think its legit. Another thing I thought maybe the case was splitting but come to find out the front opens with a mirror in it. Going to try some Yield to see if I can't get it to open. Also dug 3 wheaties, oldest a 28. an old button and I chopped a live round in 2, that could have got ugly. I get a little frustrated when chopping through roots. Be careful out there. Thanks for looking in. Mark

Found the makers mark. Its on the slide near top. See cleaned up pics.

Attachments

• 20220907_203318.jpg
    20220907_203318.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 683
  • 20220907_203338.jpg
    20220907_203338.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 674
  • 20220907_203345.jpg
    20220907_203345.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 668
  • 20220907_203355.jpg
    20220907_203355.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 679
  • 20220907_203404.jpg
    20220907_203404.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 673
  • 20220907_204027.jpg
    20220907_204027.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 683
  • 20220907_203256.jpg
    20220907_203256.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 676
  • 20220907_203248.jpg
    20220907_203248.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Outstanding find, Mark! That's a unique beauty!! Definitely be careful with those roots...that one almost shot back :lol:

That is an awesome find. What did it ring up on the Equinox?

Hitting a loaded cartridge with a tool at that position does not pose an ignition issue . The cartridge case may provide clues to age.

Very cool find!

Outstanding find, Mark! That's a unique beauty!! Definitely be careful with those roots...that one almost shot back :lol:

Ben thanks. I know you are a pit bull when it comes to researching the history of found treasures. Ok maybe a little leap here, but there is still about a 1/4 of lipstick in there, and we chase initials on rings, do you see where I'm going with this? Ancestory. com. What if it was possible to trace the DNA of the gal who last put that to here lips. How cool would that be ? We all think up the backstories of our finds, and that gal is probably long gone but to connect it to a a family would be awesome. Just some thoughts as to how cool of a find I had today. Take care pal. Mark

That is an awesome find. What did it ring up on the Equinox

Hitting a loaded cartridge with a tool at that position does not pose an ignition issue . The cartridge case may provide clues to age.

Very cool find!

Thank you. It was a clean 36-37, definitely sounded bigger than a coin but sweet enough to dig. And yes, the cartridge at that point I agree but what about the next time ? It looks to be a .308 but would have to clean it up to confirm. Good luck. Mark

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks RJ. You thinkin about a Manticore or are you going to stick with the D2 ? Good luck. Mark

That's a super find Mark, so much detail, very very cool. A beautiful piece for sure. I don't think that round could have done any harm by chopping it up, wonder if it had cordite in it, looks like maybe an old 303 british (?).

Mark, that is one fancy looking case. It's still amazing what is still found in the dirt these days. I think that one of a kind piece will good in your display case. Congrats and thanks for sharing! John

Dang thats super fancy, makes a man want to start wearing lipstick! :laughing:

As far as the cartridge goes, if its not in the chamber of a gun, its not possible for it to build up enough pressure to do anything. At the most it would be like a firecracker going off, and thats probably a stretch.

That's a great find Mark, could be anything in there. Gotta love western Pennsylvania, we sure have the history.. Congrats on the save

Thanks Woody. Although hunted hard this place still gives up a find or two. Good luck. Mark

That's a super find Mark, so much detail, very very cool. A beautiful piece for sure. I don't think that round could have done any harm by chopping it up, wonder if it had cordite in it, looks like maybe an old 303 british (?).

GS thank you. Am quite pleased with it. The round is a .32 Win. Spl. Good luck. Mark

That's a pretty unique find !

Agree Tom, don't recall ever seeing one before yesterday. Good luck. Mark

Mark, that is one fancy looking case. It's still amazing what is still found in the dirt these days. I think that one of a kind piece will good in your display case. Congrats and thanks for sharing! John

Thank you John. All the lipstick tubes and compacts I've dug that was the last thing I thought when I saw it. It will make the display case for sure. Take care. Mark

Dang thats super fancy, makes a man want to start wearing lipstick! :laughing:

As far as the cartridge goes, if its not in the chamber of a gun, its not possible for it to build up enough pressure to do anything. At the most it would be like a firecracker going off, and thats probably a stretch.

Thanks hbot, always wanted to find an engraved relic, maybe a match safe or powder flask but this will do for now. Good luck. Mark

Wow that is super cool!

I love hand craftsmanship..
Do you think it is hand carved engraved?

I’d be super careful opening it.. Soak it in something that will loosen it up..

Hit my old standby city park today. At first I thought it was a match safe, It was black like an old coin and when I rubbed it with my thumb I saw fancy and thought it had to be silver and turns out to be an art deco lipstick case. Couldn't find the exact one on line, the stone appears to be emerald and it is 100% engraved. Although I can't see any marking it has quite a heft to it and I don't think China was doing knock-offs back then. The one's on line say .800 silver. I think its legit. Another thing I thought maybe the case was splitting but come to find out the front opens with a mirror in it. Going to try some Yield to see if I can't get it to open. Also dug 3 wheaties, oldest a 28. an old button and I chopped a live round in 2, that could have got ugly. I get a little frustrated when chopping through roots. Be careful out there. Thanks for looking in. Mark

Really nice Mark. I found one like that in Hawaii from the 50s. It had an inscription from the movie Bali Hai/South Pacifc to a Soldiers girlfriend or wife. Pretty historic and heart warming. It was intact but squished. The mirror was broken as well. NICE FIND!

for sure one of the more interesting finds that I have seen lately. WEll done!

At first glance I was thinking it was a match safe. An excellent recovery regardless, congrats Mark!

Jeff my thoughts exactly, seriously who would have thunk someone would put that much time and effort into a lipstick case. Maybe its reloadable. lol And I won't lie, I was hoping Tiffany. This find wasn't too far from where I found the Tiffany cuff link a few years back. Take care pal. Mark

A very cool find Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you sir, I am very pleased with it myself. Kinda put a little wind in the old sail if you know what I mean. Good luck. Mark

Wow that is super cool!

I love hand craftsmanship..
Do you think it is hand carved engraved?

I’d be super careful opening it.. Soak it in something that will loosen it up..

E33 thank you. And yes hand engraved, machine engraving would be way more clean and precise. I always wanted to be a firearms engraver but alas I'm lucky I can draw a stick figure.:lol: And soaking it now in Yield, a commercial grade lubricant. So far about a 1/4 of the way open. I wanted to see inside just in case the old gal hid some mad money in there. I will stop there, I'm afraid of breaking it. Now it doesn't want to close but the stone is also the close clasp. Someone put a lot into the design. Good luck. Mark

Really nice Mark. I found one like that in Hawaii from the 50s. It had an inscription from the movie Bali Hai/South Pacifc to a Soldiers girlfriend or wife. Pretty historic and heart warming. It was intact but squished. The mirror was broken as well. NICE FIND!

Thanks Bull, ain't it weird how little we know about the past till we dig something up and do the research. Good luck. Mark

That is a very nice find! It just proves that there’s always something to find, even I. Well hunted areas. Congrats!

Ramble thank you. Yes most times it seems these sites get pretty stingy. The hunt there prior to this on, after 6 hours only netted me two coins and a lot of trash. Good luck. Mark

for sure one of the more interesting finds that I have seen lately. WEll done!

Thanks Tp. Never saw one before and I doubt will ever again. Just goes to show the hubris of the roaring 20s. Good luck. Mark

Back
Top Bottom