Badly Bent 10k Gold Ring

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
This is a 10K ring I found a while back. How the heck do you straighten it? I bought a mandrel today and my first attempt to even start rounding it, made me give up. There isn't much value in a small 10k ring like this but I'd still like to use the new mandrel on it, or whatever you suggest. TIA

Attachments

• 6B98B168-48D2-4EE7-A962-885EA8BF3CEE.jpg
    6B98B168-48D2-4EE7-A962-885EA8BF3CEE.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 207
I appreciate the replies. It's only worth $50 in melt value and it ain't glamorous. Wouldn't a jeweler charge to do this? I am prone to try to find a method without a jeweler. It is more of a work project in my mind to learn something, now that I have bought a mandrel. Worst case, the ring will go into my gold scrap bin.

Thanks. I might ask a jeweler about it. I just doubt that with the cost of labor these days, jewelers must draw the line for doing courteous work.

Maybe warm it up with a propane or mapp torch then carefully use the mandrel? I’ve not tried to straighten a gold ring that way, but did try to resolder one by just applying the torch heat to a 14k ring that was made up of three rings soldered together, it didn’t work, but didn’t harm the good at all. Scraped that ring.

Maybe warm it up with a propane or mapp torch then carefully use the mandrel? I’ve not tried to straighten a gold ring that way, but did try to resolder one by just applying the torch heat to a 14k ring that was made up of three rings soldered together, it didn’t work, but didn’t harm the good at all. Scraped that ring.

Thanks.

heat up gold to anneal it, then work on a mandrel, you may need to anneal 2-3 times in between working it to really get it in fine shape. A small hard leather mallet works wonders with out banging it up.

Back
Top Bottom