2 finds from under the porch

caj

I need to replace my the decking on my porch so I pulled up 3 porch boards to check if the joists were still good and while I was down there I decided to detect. The house was built in 1919 and I've found a buffalo nickel and seated liberty quarter in the yard along with trash and relics. While down there I pulled my first non-clad of the year and a Prince albert tin in poor shape. I checked the whole space of about 8X30 feet with a metal detector but theres a big 6X4X8 pile of dirt in there so I think i need to go back and spread that out to detect more :lol:. It was 65 today, tomorrow will be 40 and were expected to get 10-14 inches by friday night (20 degrees) with 40 mph winds.

Attachments

• 20170222_223734.jpg
    20170222_223734.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 587
  • 20170222_223706.jpg
    20170222_223706.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 598
  • 20170222_223808.jpg
    20170222_223808.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 583
The lid is rusted open so I didn't get the pleasure of letting him out by the way.

(This is so nobody else can make that dumb joke.)

Dang, I had the joke all ready. :lol: BTW, watching PBS recently ("Victoria") I learned that Queen Victoria and Albert were first cousins. Nice finds.

Great Job! Especially the old Prince Albert tobacco tin. My Grandfather used these when I was a kid, and I know where probably 20 of his old ones are buried out where we used to go deer hunting. Hope to get back there this summer and dig up our old dump!

Nice shape IH. I like detecting under old wooden veranda porches of old homes.

Now to decide if its worth it to climb under there and sift all the dirt and clay. It looks like the pile was there from construction of the porch, steps and sidewalk. The only thing I eyeballed besides wood and nails was a small piece of pink polka dotted glass. Not even a marble haha

More than half a century ago my brother and I would sift thru the dirt under our front porch and find Indian Head Pennies. The house is no longer there but I am hopeful that I may some day get back to that area to see if I can get permission to hunt where the old house stood. IH pennies are one of my favorite coins.

Now to decide if its worth it to climb under there and sift all the dirt and clay. It looks like the pile was there from construction of the porch, steps and sidewalk. The only thing I eyeballed besides wood and nails was a small piece of pink polka dotted glass. Not even a marble haha
If it were my porch I would! :yes: Nice finds!

Back
Top Bottom