1796 Cap Liberty Large Cent Bucket Lister!

Pumptech

Forum Supporter
I had a great day today detecting! I got a few buttons, an old cap gun, a toy car, and some clad. My buddy called me over to show me what he just dug. I checked it out, then set the coil back to the ground, got a 28-30 quarter signal on the Equinox, then dug this out from the ground! The front is great but the reverse is not readable. My first capped Liberty!

Attachments

• 20200523_132432.jpg
    20200523_132432.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 616
  • 20200523_162224.jpg
    20200523_162224.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 544
  • 20200523_162247.jpg
    20200523_162247.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
I had a great day today detecting! I got a few buttons, an old cap gun, a toy car, and some clad. My buddy called me over to show me what he just dug. I checked it out, then set the coil back to the ground, got a 28-30 quarter signal on the Equinox, then dug this out from the ground! The front is great but the reverse is not readable. My first capped Liberty!

Congrats!

Some early US copper has a lettered edge. Years ago I found an early half cent that only the edge was partially readable. Said “200 TO A DOLLAR.”
Tom

Check it out, If that’s a half cent coin it could be worth multi thousands of dollars even in that condition. I wonder if there’s a way to find out?
Great find!

This may make Tom have a hissy fit.:lol:

Naw , not really , he'll just console himself by running his hands thru all those gold coins he's found .:lol:

Great find Pumptech , Congratulations !:yes: If you really want to get Tom riled just post that you asked someone in City Hall if it was legal to metal detect the local parks .:laughing:

Check it out, If that’s a half cent coin it could be worth multi thousands of dollars even in that condition. I wonder if there’s a way to find out?
Great find!
It is a full cent. You can tell by the weight and size. A half cent is 5.44g and a full around 10.89g. This one weighs in at 9.44 g.

Congrats, what an amazing find! I have to ask, what did your buddy say after you hijacked his spot :laughing:

Again, awesome find

Know the feeling of that early Lady Liberty appearing...Congrats on a great dig !!

Gee whiz... That's a heck of a find! 1796... Just wow.

Back
Top Bottom