• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Defective Tesoro?

shellhouse

Forum Supporter
Hey guys, I have both a Tesoro Lobo and a Lobo Supertraq.

The LST has some problems which seem to be a show stopper. There's a loud threshold noise no matter what and it's not picking up metal on max sensitivity in All Metal mode. Disc is also set to 0 / min which shouldn't matter in All Metal if I'm not mistaken. Disc mode doesn't work at all. No threshold noise but not picking up on any metal at max sensitivity and min disc.

Tried re-seating the coil connector and moving the wires just a bit to see if any change but no luck. Filed for a return on the LST as the Lobo I have has none of these issues (no problems with the old model and it's arguably more complicated of a unit to tune).

Have looked at troubleshooting in the manual as well but it seems like a dead end. Just throwing this info out in case anyone has recommendations for something I may be missing. Thanks for reading!

I would suggest trying your other Lobo coil itself on the LST (if they use the same connector). Or a replacement/backup coil if you have one for it.

Both detectors are the same frequency 17.8 kHz/neighborhood according to the manuals (Lobo original, Lobo Super Traq), and should be well enough to see if it removes the problems you are having.

It also seems other coils in the series Tesoro Lobo, Tejon, Cibola, Lobo SuperTRAQ, and Vaquero are interchangeable if the cable connector is correct. Which sounds wrong as I know my Cibola was in the 14 kHz range - and using a coil made for a higher range is bound to affect performance or depth at the very least for actual use.

I suggested testing another coil because even if you are successful in contacting Tesoro beyond their website for repair their lifetime warranty makes exclusions for warranty repair for some coil related (if that is the problem). Of course Tesoro were always great at going above and beyond for customers regardless, and if needed worth paying to fix.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state.

This instrument is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship as long as it is owned by the original consumer purchaser. This warranty is not transferable and is valid only if the warranty registration card has been completed and mailed within 10 days of purchase.

TESORO will, at its option, repair or replace any instrument covered by this warranty, without charge, except for transportation charges, at its factory in Prescott, Arizona.

This warranty excludes batteries, damage caused by leaky batteries, cable breakage due to flexing on body mount units, and wear of the searchcoil housing. Also excluded are instruments which have been abused, altered, or repaired by an unauthorized party.

Orig. Lobo was a Gifford design totally different from the Lobo ST which was a Dave Johnson design. Coils between the two are not interchangeable.

Sounds like some one got inside the LST and played with the pots.

Orig. Lobo was a Gifford design totally different from the Lobo ST which was a Dave Johnson design. Coils between the two are not interchangeable.

Sounds like some one got inside the LST and played with the pots.

Seems like a very good possibility that some has messed with the LST. No signs of tampering, but I got it to barely squeak out a repeatable signal on a thick aluminum telescope stand. Otherwise, nothing on iron, steel, coins, jewelry, or even other aluminum poles. Not even a hint.

Also, since Tesoro service is no more, it's a good thing there is a return policy with this one.

If I had some technical data and test equipment I could likely re-calibrate this if it's just out of calibration. Bum deal but thanks for the help.

I figured that was likely the case. Too easy of a test check with both models available.

Also, since Tesoro service is no more, it's a good thing there is a return policy with this one.

If I had some technical data and test equipment I could likely re-calibrate this if it's just out of calibration. Bum deal but thanks for the help.

Sorry to hear it is a bust, but I'm glad you are able to return it.

For service I thought you must know the Gifford's that owned Tesoro, one of the laid-off techs that is somehow able to help, or a 3rd party repair shop. I've seen some talk about people supposedly getting service as recently as last year that way. I wish there was some definite answer if Tesoro is closed for good or what at this point.

Sorry to hear it is a bust, but I'm glad you are able to return it.

For service I thought you must know the Gifford's that owned Tesoro, one of the laid-off techs that is somehow able to help, or a 3rd party repair shop. I've seen some talk about people supposedly getting service as recently as last year that way. I wish there was some definite answer if Tesoro is closed for good or what at this point.

Thanks, may try to reach out and see if they could at least provide some service data and/or schematics. It'd mostly be for future serviceability as well as to help others if they run into part failures or need for calibration.

Reading through the threads, I can tell that the Tesoro's were (and are) loved by many for their sensitivity and audio, among other things.

Before parting with the Lobo SuperTRAQ I would definitely try a different coil or two. Any coil made for the Lobo ST, Tejón or Vaquero whould work and it might just be you have a wrong or faulty coil.

Monte

PS: Of the two, having had them both in years gone by, I enjoyed the performance of the original Lobo over th SuperTRAQ.

If anyone has a Tesoro coil around Atlanta, I could check in the next couple of days.

Looked online and they seem be be running around $100 for the coils (various sizes, some over $100).

Tried a bunch of things, including different batteries, all soil modes, unwinding the coil wire and moving the ends some more to see if anything changes.

I think this would literally not pick up on the broad side of a (metal) barn in current state. It doesn't do anything around shovels, iron grates, and other large or small objects no matter the metal type. The telescope stand seemed the only slight exception for making a noise and even that didn't sound quite right.

Keith Wills at East Texas Metal detectors will work on Tesoro machines. Of course his success in getting parts for a machine will determine if he can fix the machine.

Thanks, this coil should help get me going on working the thing out. The seller offered a partial credit on the unit since it arrived more or less inoperable. I was indifferent on return vs. credit but it worked out okay price-wise for an affordable project. Too many projects, too little time...

Keith Wills at East Texas Metal detectors will work on Tesoro machines. Of course his success in getting parts for a machine will determine if he can fix the machine.

Thanks for this info also. If all else fails I could give him a shot.

I also ordered a cheap bootleg Lobo PCB from Russia that can be used to re-build the unit in worst case, time permitting. The PCB is based on the original Lobo and not ST but should fit the case at least. Another pot (or different pots) would likely be needed if it's manual GB like the original Lobo. Apparently, the PCB may have some "improvements" that I'll need to look into more.

My old silver sabre II has a external threshold knob at bottom of the unit.It is a thin white knob sticking out of the brown case near the battery lid and coil connection point

This solved my problem. Much thanks!!

Awesome, I'm glad you were able to get your detector up and running! :clapping:

It's odd how often that it turned out to be a bad coil for me or others I've known as well (and why I suggest trying another one). It truly was a bit of a community effort, even with a replacement coil to fit - now your detector has a story itself to tell on your perseverance to get it going again.

I hope you discover many great finds with your new machine! HH

Back
Top Bottom