Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 05-09-2020, 12:07 PM
Supporter

Potatoes can kill !

Old 05-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Even as a kid I'd think of creative ways to make my own toys, made my own pinball machine using wood, marbles, a spring action thing to shoot the marble into play. .
I'd love to see a picture of that home-made pinball machine. What ever happened to it ? Still have it, Gary?

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Spectrum XLT (Rainbow), Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger, Root Slayer NOMAD digger

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:50 PM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by jimther View post
I'd love to see a picture of that home-made pinball machine. What ever happened to it ? Still have it, Gary?

Jim
Thanks, didn't have the digital cameras back then or likely would have at least taken a picture of it.

Not sure what happened to it, seems like much of my old stuff disappeared back then, not sure, but maybe my mom gave some of it away or donated it when I went into the Navy at 17

Since I was likely somewhere around 10 to 15 years old it would be over 50 years ago when I made it, wish I would have kept my "wheel of fortune" wheel too

I actually do still have (and use) a lamp I made in wood shop in the eight grade though I did have to rewire it a few years ago with fresh wiring.

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 05-10-2020, 06:00 AM
Elite Member

They banned shop classes but not home economics because it involved boys learning a part of being a man that the local sissys hate.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Old 05-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by DbblTap View post
They banned shop classes but not home economics because it involved boys learning a part of being a man that the local sissys hate.

Wow, how long ago did they do that ? I remember getting A's in shop class and mechanical drawing, really enjoyed making stuff with wood.

Navy Vet

Old 05-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

Wow, how long ago did they do that ? I remember getting A's in shop class and mechanical drawing, really enjoyed making stuff with wood.
In the 70's I'd say.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Supporter

Talking

In the 70's I'd say.

Okay, thanks, my last year of public school before going in the Navy was right near the end of the 1960's so I made it thru school in time (went into Navy in 1970)

Navy Vet

Old 05-10-2020, 07:20 PM
Supporter

Default No more shop class

While I was never very handy with big power tools ,like table saws and band saws I still have all my fingers . Still have a step stool I made around 1968 , been through lots of use over the years including my daughter using it as a chair growing up. May of been a liability issue I think most schools have got rid of drivers ed. as well.

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:11 PM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
While I was never very handy with big power tools ,like table saws and band saws I still have all my fingers . Still have a step stool I made around 1968 , been through lots of use over the years including my daughter using it as a chair growing up. May of been a liability issue I think most schools have got rid of drivers ed. as well.
Hey maybe with your step stool being about as old as my lamp I made could both be considered antiques

Navy Vet

Old 05-10-2020, 11:52 PM
Supporter

Default Old school projects

Hey maybe with your step stool being about as old as my lamp I made could both be considered antiques
Sure our wifes consider us antiques. My dad on the other hand was really good at woodwork mostly took it up after retirement, he made a rocking horse for my daughter around 1991 or 1992 that is now in use by her daughter . Hopefully she will keep it and pass it down to her grand daughter when that time comes.

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:13 AM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by davidlhyde63366 View post
Sure our wifes consider us antiques. My dad on the other hand was really good at woodwork mostly took it up after retirement, he made a rocking horse for my daughter around 1991 or 1992 that is now in use by her daughter . Hopefully she will keep it and pass it down to her grand daughter when that time comes.

I like things made with real solid wood like they used to use more in the past, some of that particleboard stuff just don't hold up as well.

Navy Vet

Old 05-11-2020, 12:23 AM
Supporter

Thumbs up solid wood construction

I like things made with real solid wood like they used to use more in the past, some of that particleboard stuff just don't hold up as well.
I have picked up several discarded solid wood pieces of furniture often painted white , taken it home sanded it down to the wood surface and brought it back to a natural wood finish . New hardware if needed , and used some at home and some to daughters place. The old furniture was made to last for generations , most new stuff you find is poorly made .

Old 05-19-2020, 08:19 AM

You have a skill that was lost years ago because todays youth was not trained to use their brain to solve a problem or to figure things out.

Really?

Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 AM
Supporter

Talking

You have a skill that was lost years ago because todays youth was not trained to use their brain to solve a problem or to figure things out.

Originally Posted by JAY-in-PA View post
Really?
Thanks for catching that Jay, I'm thinking he didn't mean 100% of all youth fall under that statement, but likely means a general tendency of the education system in general.

I try to avoid intentionally making "blanket" statements as often it is rare for a statement to cover 100%, sometimes if I am making a post in a hurry I might occasionally make a statement that I likely should have worded a little more carefully.

Navy Vet

Old 05-19-2020, 11:36 AM
Supporter

Talking

I had a chance to try my 12volt coffee can a few days ago as I needed to use the 12volt air compressor to add air to tires on a hand truck I needed to use.

The "D" size batteries did not hold up to complete the task, BUT that could likely be because they are cheap "dollar store" batteries (I think it was a 4-pack of "D" batteries for $1.00) and I have had those batteries for a while.

For a more accurate test I'd need to try brand new batteries and preferably brand name batteries. I don't care for the price of brand name batteries, but in this instance it might be needed due to the power draw of something like an air compressor.

I don't have any brand name "D" batteries right now, but will see about watching for a sale later. (also will price rechargeable "D" batteries)

For lower power drain uses like to power a 12volt lamp or recharge a phone the "dollar store" batteries should be fine.

Navy Vet

Old 05-20-2020, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JAY-in-PA View post
Really?
Yes Jay I did really say that. Was it wrong? Maybe. Is that you ? I highly doubt. I know I was raised in a way different time then today's kids and I hope like hell they never live the hell I have been thru. If I offered you in any way I am sorry.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:38 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for catching that Jay, I'm thinking he didn't mean 100% of all youth fall under that statement, but likely means a general tendency of the education system in general.

I try to avoid intentionally making "blanket" statements as often it is rare for a statement to cover 100%, sometimes if I am making a post in a hurry I might occasionally make a statement that I likely should have worded a little more carefully.
Your right, I should have chosen my words better.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Supporter

Talking

Your right, I should have chosen my words better.

No problem DbblTap ! I appreciate you considering and saying that !

Hey, sometimes I have to reread my own posts before posting, not only to catch typos or missed words, but also to try to see if what I wrote could be taken the wrong way and if I need to rephrase how I say something, or at least preface it with a clarification so it's not taken the wrong way.

That's the problem sometimes with typed communication, unlike an in-person conversation, the reader can't hear your tone of voice or see your facial expression or body language, and they can think something was written with a completely different attitude than what the writer intended

(note how I used an emoticon ? those things can help take the place of an in-person facial expression somewhat )

I know it can take a little extra effort, but it's all in the interest of keeping the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum from being misunderstood as un-Friendly

Navy Vet

Tags
12v, 12volt, batteries, led