Hearts in the sand (ladies heel plate)

Dan B.

Elite Member
I had an hour and a half worth of time to metal detect before taking the wife to physical therapy. I found a few older wheat pennies and this very interesting heel plate with a heart in the center. This was found across the street from where I found my Civil War token last week.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=274138

Just thought I would share this conversational piece with you.

Attachments

• IMG_20190612_114731.jpg
    IMG_20190612_114731.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_20190612_105202.jpg
    IMG_20190612_105202.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 512
Cool piece...I would hang it somewhere. You know brothel tokens have a heart like that on them...hmmm wonder where they were going when they lost it.

Congrats on a great find !

I found one identical to yours (also in very good condition) about 5 years ago under a huge Oak tree that was next to a 1800's Saw Mill.
I read somewhere that they were called - "Hearts In The Sand" heel plates and were often worn by Prostitutes.

Good Hunting !

Congrats on a great find !

I found one identical to yours (also in very good condition) about 5 years ago under a huge Oak tree that was next to a 1800's Saw Mill.
I read somewhere that they were called - "Hearts In The Sand" heel plates and were often worn by Prostitutes.

Good Hunting !

I also heard the same thing. It was sort of like a calling card. Glad to hear that you found one too. And the oak tree will keep its secrets.

Cool piece...I would hang it somewhere. You know brothel tokens have a heart like that on them...hmmm wonder where they were going when they lost it.

I think I will put it in a frame and hang it on the wall next to my display case. Thanks for the idea.

I had mentioned in the above post that I was going to place it in a frame and hang it on the wall. The wife does not approve of that but I think I'll do it anyways. 😀
With it being our 35th wedding anniversary tomorrow maybe she will forgive me.

Back
Top Bottom