Show me your Civil War tokens.

Dan B.

Elite Member
I found my first Civil War token today. A very pleasant surprise when it popped out of the ground. Let's see your Civil War tokens. How many different kinds were actually made?

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_151452.jpg
    IMG_20190607_151452.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_20190607_151557.jpg
    IMG_20190607_151557.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 514
Luv the green patina on yours ! I've only ever found a single CW issue here in CA. It was a New York penny. Does that count as a "token" ? Found at a stage stop in Southern CA, that dated to the 1860s.

Nice Civil War Token find. I've only found one and the thing was toasted beyond collectability. Civil War Tokens came in two varieties.....Patriotic, which yours is, and had patriotic themes and designs. Others were called "store cards" and had various businesses advertised on them. There are literally hundreds of designs consisting of major design differences and many with very small variations in detail. Most are common but a few are rare. The vast majority were made in my home state of Connecticut in the town of Waterbury by Scovill Manufacturing who also made many types of buttons including those for the military. Yours is listed in the book I have, but there are many variations of the one you found. I couldn't identify which variety it is because of the dug condition. Could be one that's quite common and could possibly be one that is more scarce.

Attachments

• Image (14).jpg
    Image (14).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 468
  • Image (17).jpg
    Image (17).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 447
Luv the green patina on yours ! I've only ever found a single CW issue here in CA. It was a New York penny. Does that count as a "token" ? Found at a stage stop in Southern CA, that dated to the 1860s.
NOPE ! SORRY ! Eastern States Rules say that New York Pennies are NOT tokens and also that they must be shipped back East where they belong.

I collect them and figured I had no shot at finding one here in California, but at least you give me a little tiny bit of hope.:cool3:

I collect them and figured I had no shot at finding one here in California, but at least you give me a little tiny bit of hope.:cool3:

The one I got in CA *may or may not* have been found south of the Bakersfield to Santa Barbara line. Tsk tsk. Your border security guards are slipping ! :laughing:

The one I got in CA *may or may not* have been found south of the Bakersfield to Santa Barbara line. Tsk tsk. Your border security guards are slipping ! :laughing:

Even more hope if it was found south of the SB line. I wonder how many were brought west after the war as souvenirs maybe.

Nice Civil War Token find. I've only found one and the thing was toasted beyond collectability. Civil War Tokens came in two varieties.....Patriotic, which yours is, and had patriotic themes and designs. Others were called "store cards" and had various businesses advertised on them. There are literally hundreds of designs consisting of major design differences and many with very small variations in detail. Most are common but a few are rare. The vast majority were made in my home state of Connecticut in the town of Waterbury by Scovill Manufacturing who also made many types of buttons including those for the military. Yours is listed in the book I have, but there are many variations of the one you found. I couldn't identify which variety it is because of the dug condition. Could be one that's quite common and could possibly be one that is more scarce.

That is very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Schweeeet find Dan! I've never found a patriotic version...

Here are my five dug tokens (a couple from your state..)

Attachments

• DSCN0459.jpg
    DSCN0459.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 388
  • DSCN0457.jpg
    DSCN0457.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 365

Beautiful Civil War Tokens...…..I looked them up in my book on Civil War Store Card Tokens and found out the following......The ones marked "Packard" and "Albright" are R-2's.....between 2,000 and 5,000 known examples, basically common ones. The Warren Ohio one is R-3.....between 500 and 2000 known examples, the E. Hause one is R-5.....only between 75 and 200 known to exist, and finally the Webster is R-7......only 10-20 known examples...VERY SCARCE.

Beautiful Civil War Tokens...…..I looked them up in my book on Civil War Store Card Tokens and found out the following......The ones marked "Packard" and "Albright" are R-2's.....between 2,000 and 5,000 known examples, basically common ones. The Warren Ohio one is R-3.....between 500 and 2000 known examples, the E. Hause one is R-5.....only between 75 and 200 known to exist, and finally the Webster is R-7......only 10-20 known examples...VERY SCARCE.

Wow....no kiddin! Very cool to know, thank you. Some poor collector out there only needs that Webster to complete his set while it sits in my corner cabinet on a scrabble tile holder....sorry buddy!

I found my first Civil War token today. A very pleasant surprise when it popped out of the ground. Let's see your Civil War tokens. How many different kinds were actually made?

Fantastic find, Dan!! I'm afraid I can't show you mine, 'cuz I haven't found one...yet! I'd sure love to find a great piece of history like that - do you remember how it ring up on your EQ600? I'm guessing either Indian penny range (18-19) or maybe a little lower, like the fatty Indians (15-16)?

Beautiful group of CW store cards, teotw! And now I'm really excited, 'cuz you know what this means.... :lol:

Fantastic find, Dan!! I'm afraid I can't show you mine, 'cuz I haven't found one...yet! I'd sure love to find a great piece of history like that - do you remember how it ring up on your EQ600? I'm guessing either Indian penny range (18-19) or maybe a little lower, like the fatty Indians (15-16)?

Beautiful group of CW store cards, teotw! And now I'm really excited, 'cuz you know what this means.... :lol:

In my recollection they were a little lower than penny range, but I don’t really remember...I generally dig any decent mid tone in old areas....and yes, yours is coming....get a funeral home store card! I would love to see one of those come up!

I do believe it rang up like an Indian not a fatty.

Back
Top Bottom