Detector swing

Culbles

I was recently told by a successful hunter to change my swing. Instead of the usual arc, he said use a figure 8 sweep. Any thoughts? This is the first time I have heard of using a figure 8.

That would wreak havoc on my elbow. If there is any good reason for doing such a thing, I'd like to hear it. You can cover danged near all of the ground by just overlapping you regular swings...

Yes..Its very important to really concentrate on your swing pattern and coil control/coverage...Not at all like the common arc the pictures depict regarding swinging coil....

Develop your own ergonomic muscle memory patterns...In the water, a 'herringbone' style of push and pull using your bodies weight and hips instead of your arm is effective for hunting all day...You cant fight water with just one arm...but you can push it forward with your weight, and pull it back the same way, rocking gently side to side and setting a steady rhythm...

Same on the dirt, concentrate on using your body and momentum to swing the coil from the hips and legs instead of with your arm....you should only grip the detector like its no more than a pencil, thumb and forefinger and not a fist grip....the coil should be floating even and smooth and steady as you guide it with your entire body...Otherwise, arms and elbows simply cant take the strain...

Its hard to describe, but for sure you should concentrate on coming up with a pain free and effortless method that works for your build by employing your entire frame and stronger muscles than just your arm swinging an arc...

Thank you for bringing this topic up!...its not addressed as an important issue as it should be especially for noobies..there should be NO Pain when coming off a hunt, just an overall feeling of a total body workout....this takes concentration and practice with alternative coil manipulation methods and ergonomic physical techniques to find the ones that work the best for you...

Even the length of the shaft is crucial for comfort, so you gotta concentrate and practice alternatives and not get caught in simply adopting the arc swing pattern:thumbsup:.

Not only for physical comfort, but also for finding the goods...concentrate on coil control and flat steady coverage and develop a few patterns that work other than just an arc...Understand the situation....Heck, I 'hop coil' to pinpoint, unravel tight masked spills, or hunt heavy trash even...Never hear that talked about do you?:laughing: Hop Coil!

I was recently told by a successful hunter to change my swing. Instead of the usual arc, he said use a figure 8 sweep. Any thoughts? This is the first time I have heard of using a figure 8.

That might make sense if you are detecting up against an obstacle and can't swing over it from a different direction to get a signal that might be masked from the only place you can stand.

Otherwise, you're better off just swinging on a slight natural arc, overlapping a bit, and grid from different directions.

In fact, it's inefficient as far as ground coverage per swing to move a DD coil on anything other than a slight arc. The coil detects the most when it's being moved straight across--side to side--but that isn't as ergonomic as an arc.

With a figure eight, the coil is moving almost straight down (or up) on both ends and detecting almost nothing.

The drawing below should illustrate why a figure 8 is result in less ground covered per foot of swing, even if the figure 8 was flattened out a bit.

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 691
Get a Detector Pro Buddy harness for $25. The elastic lower strap flattens out your swing and no strain on your shoulder/rotator cuff. You can actually just swing your body and make a wide flat arc.

Surprising "no consensus" but great thoughts. Pain or fatigue is not an issue as I can detect for hours with the conventional arc. Coverage/detection is the concern. I have experimented with the flattened figure 8 but it feels awkward. With the figure 8 it is harder to keep the coil level with the ground and covers less ground side to side. Seems to overlap front to back okay. Be interesting to see more input. TY

When I think of an arc type of swing I think of Tiger woods and his golf swing I see that frequently at the beach. They swing in an arc and the coil never gets closer than three inches of the sand and then only in the middle of the arc. You are obviously young as us old folks have to do everything we can to keep our shoulders and elbows from aching after a few hours of swinging.

Figure 8's are only for figure skaters:lol: Seriously...I've never heard of anyone using a figure 8 to detect until now. I'll stay with my traditional swing....it's worked for me for the past 36 years with no ill effects on my arms, elbow or shoulders and has given me many thousands of finds. If you're not sure about what the other guy told you, :?: why not try it out for yourself...that way you'll know whether you like it or not.

I believe the arc referred to is the arc or horseshoe path of the coil in front of you and not the up-down-up pendulum swing - one of my favorite pet peeves about new and old hunters alike. Simply can't believe the number of metal detectorists who have the pendulum swing! Met one young woman who had the coil about 7" from the ground at the lowest point using the pendulum swing. She said she hadn't found anything...can you imagine why?

I, for one, am adamant about keeping the coil a constant level above the ground because I hunt the surf for 5-7 hrs and false signals occur when you very depth of the coil. I also have an exaggerated end swing that makes about 180 deg of a circle (detector ends near your left or right side as opposed to more in front of you). I believe I find as many targets on my sides as I do in front. Other than keeping the coil near the ground and a constant height and walking very, very slowly, the most important thing is that your comfortable swing for a whole day (6-8 hrs) and not feel sore later. Well, ibuprofen sometimes helps, too. (After you've been swinging the 17" coil in the surf all day.)
One more thing - why do people feel that they need to almost run when metal detecting? They are in such a hurry to go down the beach when targets are already available at their feet? I'd bet most detectorists miss 75% of what is right in front of them and many with a poor swing miss 90% or more. Next time you go detecting try "baby steps" (take one 10" step per swing) and also overlap your coil swings.

Surprising "no consensus" but great thoughts. Pain or fatigue is not an issue as I can detect for hours with the conventional arc. Coverage/detection is the concern. I have experimented with the flattened figure 8 but it feels awkward. With the figure 8 it is harder to keep the coil level with the ground and covers less ground side to side. Seems to overlap front to back okay. Be interesting to see more input. TY

Another problem I see is that it's awkward to "reverse course" when you get a promising tone. After you dig enough good targets you eventually subconsciously react to promising signals in trashy areas and investigate them for at least another swing or two. That's really easy to do when you're just going back and forth on an arc.

When I think of an arc type of swing I think of Tiger woods and his golf swing I see that frequently at the beach. They swing in an arc and the coil never gets closer than three inches of the sand and then only in the middle of the arc. You are obviously young as us old folks have to do everything we can to keep our shoulders and elbows from aching after a few hours of swinging.

Love this. :cool3: Yes I am referring to a flat horizontal swing not a golf swing. I do about a 160 swing and do find a lot of stuff on the side swings.

:?: Over 70 so which category am I in: young or OLD?

I am 78 and counting. My shoulder has begun to complain about over usage.

:?: Over 70 so which category am I in: young or OLD?[/QUOTE]

The detectorist suggesting a figure 8 swing may have been referring to the very end of the swing where you reverse direction; a figure 8 at each end of the swing. [The figure 8 would not cross at the middle) I often do this in the surf, where at the end of my swing I do not simply stop and reverse course; but rather, do more of a loop motion and in this sense my coil never really comes to a complete stop at the end of my swing (as it would when simply stopping and reversing direction).

The detectorist suggesting a figure 8 swing may have been referring to the very end of the swing where you reverse direction; a figure 8 at each end of the swing. [The figure 8 would not cross at the middle) I often do this in the surf, where at the end of my swing I do not simply stop and reverse course; but rather, do more of a loop motion and in this sense my coil never really comes to a complete stop at the end of my swing (as it would when simply stopping and reversing direction).

Makes sense. Might even already be doing that without intending to. Will pay more attention. TY

For perfect coverage I use the reverse, left twist, tartan plaid, tight flight swing. Complicated, yes, but once you master it, you'll never go back. It is time consuming however. Takes me about an hour and a half to move 3 feet. Why I've been hunting the same yard for 3 months now, almost finally got it covered.
Seriously, figure 8 :roll:, I feel disoriented just shifting from right hand to left. Keep that coil parallel to the ground, tight and overlap. If you're worried about coverage, work a defined area and hit the same area again from a different direction. You'd be surprised how just changing direction of attack will add to your finds.
Figure 8 :laughing:

For perfect coverage I use the reverse, left twist, tartan plaid, tight flight swing. Complicated, yes, but once you master it, you'll never go back. It is time consuming however. Takes me about an hour and a half to move 3 feet. Why I've been hunting the same yard for 3 months now, almost finally got it covered.
Seriously, figure 8 :roll:, I feel disoriented just shifting from right hand to left. Keep that coil parallel to the ground, tight and overlap. If you're worried about coverage, work a defined area and hit the same area again from a different direction. You'd be surprised how just changing direction of attack will add to your finds.
Figure 8 :laughing:

You are right about the Tartan Plaid Pattern! That is tough to master! Especially on uneven surfaces even employing the modified Argyle format!

You should give the Herringbone Weave a go! Its not hitting targets at 90 degrees like the Tartan does, this plus the Hop Coil may indeed be a benefit in opening up old dirt to you! Its similar to Buttonholing, but has that little ice fish jigging variance...Or for complete 360 degree coverage, you may want to try the famous 360 degree Spirograph Spin technique....! :laughing::laughing:

That Figure 8 sometimes works right at the boat on Muskies, but is not intended for real World full time work I dont think...

You are right about the Tartan Plaid Pattern! That is tough to master! Especially on uneven surfaces even employing the modified Argyle format!

You should give the Herringbone Weave a go! Its not hitting targets at 90 degrees like the Tartan does, this plus the Hop Coil may indeed be a benefit in opening up old dirt to you! Its similar to Buttonholing, but has that little ice fish jigging variance...Or for complete 360 degree coverage, you may want to try the famous 360 degree Spirograph Spin technique....! :laughing::laughing:

That Figure 8 sometimes works right at the boat on Muskies, but is not intended for real World full time work I dont think...

I've tried the Spirograph a few times but always end up passing out. I've as well tried the figure 8 boat side but the Muskies keep chewing up my coils.

Yeah, I heard someone bring it up on a podcast, however a couple other things they mentioned I felt were off as well.

Committing to a swing pattern with known missed areas, just to try to cover it on the next half step, sounds like a lot of missed targets to me..................actually on second thought, I'm thinking everyone should switch to that pattern, especially those within a 250 mile radius of me.:-)

Back
Top Bottom