Cleaning old military buttons?

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
I have a couple buttons I dug up and was wondering what's the best Way to clean them? I used a toothbrush to clean up some of the loose dirt but is there a way to bring back the natural shine to them? Thanks

Im not sure about getting back natural shine....however on brass buttons I use a moist Q-tip and get off most surface dirt. For example...Ill leave this one the way it is for now and use remaining dirt to highlight detail

Attachments

• Button 1830 US MilitaryIMG_1218.jpg
    Button 1830 US MilitaryIMG_1218.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_1219.jpg
    IMG_1219.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 474
There’s all kinds of ways to ruin them but cleaning there’s a few depending if there is gilt still on them and etc

Let’s see pictures of them as they are now

Cleaning a Gilded 1850's Button

I use a very soft brush with warm water and very small amount of dishwashing liquid and gently wash them. I've attached a circa 1850's civilian button I recently found.

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 415
Welll……..depends on how far you want to go with it. I use acid and abrasive scratch pads and anything else that will ruin a good relic :D

For a couple buttons I've used very fine sandpaper to shine up the high points. The buttons shown here were cool, but to see them you had to really look closely; the looked like just a black button and a green button in my display cabinet. The sanding made them identifiable without sidelight and magnification and all that.

The convex Eagle (A) button was almost unrecognizable without serious sidelight, and then really only one of the wings was visible. After my sanding I can clearly see the whole eagle and even read the backmark. I am happy with how it turned out (not the greatest lighting for a picture). Others might be disgusted with such aggressive cleaning.

Attachments

• DSCN0508.jpg
    DSCN0508.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCN0509.jpg
    DSCN0509.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 422
Back
Top Bottom