Just discovered something AMAZING!

Zoidberg661

I have a precious metals testing kit which has acid solutions for testing 10k, 14k, 18k, 22k, silver, and platinum. The other day I found an earing, I decided to test it and when I did some of the 14k testing acid got on the earing and I noticed how it stripped the crap plating off right down to the copper alloy within a few seconds. DING DING DING!!! a lite went on in my head and I thought, maybe if I put some of this acid on my seriously worn deteriorated coins it will chew off the buildup and let me see some more details. I know what some of you are saying, "don't clean your old coins" I understand that and I understand why but when the coin in question is not worth that much at all but it would be worth much more sentimentally if you could see it, what is the harm. Sure enough, the acid cleaned my worst condition find ever, a 1864 2 cent coin. Then I decided to throw the dice and put the 14k acid on my most recent chewed up and gnarled coin, a 1910 Liberty V nickel and voila, it looks soooooooo much better now. I am so happy with the way these two coins cleaned up I had to write about it here in case anyone else has coins in similar condition to these two.

Here are the before images;

1910 Liberty V Nickel - http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49796

1864 2 Cent Coin - http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=506319

The acid contains Nitric Acid which is nasty stuff so if you use it to clean a coin with please take precautions and have a fan blowing so you do not inhale vapors, DO NOT get it on your hands as it is a skin irritant, and a little dab will do ya, I applied the acid by the drop, 4 drops covered the entire coin.
Have fun!

Attachments

• 1864_2_Cent_Obverse.jpg
    1864_2_Cent_Obverse.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 487
  • Liberty_V_Nickel_1910.jpg
    Liberty_V_Nickel_1910.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 488
  • coins_before_acid.jpg
    coins_before_acid.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 413
  • coins_with_acid.jpg
    coins_with_acid.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 425
  • both coins_2cent_barberVNickel.jpg
    both coins_2cent_barberVNickel.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 415
The acid cleaning did a good job getting most of the gunk off even though its a bit hazardous. Now will it be easier to clean the rest of the stuff off it in a peroxide bath?

I wouldn't put acid on any coin. Peroxide and Olive Oil work just fine in cleaning a coin up.

buuut - too each his own! Glad you found something that works for you!

Just wanted to add, I didn't want to clean these coins to a 100% complete shine, I just wanted them so I could see the markings better. The way they look now is fine, no more acid solution treatments.

Believe it or not, I used hot the peroxide bath atleast 15 different times to try and clean up the 1864 2 cent and all it did was change the color, the buildup on the metal didn't deteriorate at all, even with baking soda. I also tried to bath the coin in White Vinegar and salt for 2-3 days at a time and that did nothing to the buildup either. What I did not try was electrolysys which I have heard works pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom