Silver

youngnewiowan21

I am looking at videos on Youtube and after everybody cleans there silver it looks brand new I am yet to find a silver so I don't know if they are just that easy to clean or how they do it???

I actually don't clean my silver, it could destroy the value of a coin! Instead, i just use soft bristle tooth brush for excess loose dirt.

They don't clean them, that is how silver comes out of the ground, just a little rinsing is all that is usually needed..

Put it this way, the day is coming, mark these words, you will be digging a usual dime signal at 6 inches deep, when you see that bright silver color in the bottom of that hole, you wont need to look at the date to know it is silver for sure...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Well some silver jewelry comes out tarnished, dark... What I use to clean mine is WRIGHTS SILVER POLISH. Works wonders..

I dont clean my coins unless there just scrap..

Yep

Well some silver jewelry comes out tarnished, dark... What I use to clean mine is WRIGHTS SILVER POLISH. Works wonders..

I dont clean my coins unless there just scrap..

Mostly depends on soil conditions. Here in NC the silver comes out pretty much flawless. Just soap and water and good to go. Other states I have found tarnished silver and used actual silver/jewelry cleaner. But any coin that you think is or could be valuable should not be cleaned.

When you dig your first silver coin, you will be overcome with excitement and will rub the coin to get the dirt away from the date......I hope it's not a 1916d merc.:shock:
I have a coworker that has a complete set of peace dollars. All of them have been cleaned and their value greatly reduced.

Now when I dig a silver coin I handle it as little as possible untill it is identified.

I am looking at videos on Youtube and after everybody cleans there silver it looks brand new I am yet to find a silver so I don't know if they are just that easy to clean or how they do it???

I have onlyfound 1 silver coin, 1 silver ring and 1 silver uniform badge. I cleaned them by running them under tap water to dissolve the dirt. Didn't brush, scrub, rub etc. Then I lined a glass bowl with aluminum foil, placed the object in the bowl, laying on the foil, poured hot water into the bowl and added baking soda. Left in the solution for 30 minute, rinsed with plain water and air dried. I think they look good. Found this method online.

If you are just planning on keeping them for your own pleasure, and not selling them, a SOS pad is by far the best thing to use. You can make any silver coin whether dirty or tarnished and make it look like its fresh from the mint. This can leave minor scratches on the coin, but like I said, if you aren't planning on selling them, this is the best way to go.

I don't plan on selling my silvers and most of them are worth only the silver value anyway so I use a little wet baking soda on my silver. This will usually work on most gray toned silvers. If the silver is black - then I boil it in water for a few minutes before rubbing with baking soda. Here is a before and after of the boiling/baking soda method.

Attachments

• DimesPreClean.jpg
    DimesPreClean.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 07212012Dimes.jpg
    07212012Dimes.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 237
Your coins clean them as much as you want. Make them look like mint coins use some Mothers chrome and metal polish. At any walmart or auto store

Back
Top Bottom