Just venting, YouTube videos

My advice is to keep your comments to yourself. No one wants some smart you know what trying to tell you how to make better videos. It's suppose to be fun, nothing more. Don't like someone's videos, don't watch them.

Sorry, I should have clarified and said to suggest helpful ideas in their comments section worded in a polite and helpful way, not to offend the person, they just might appreciate the ideas, otherwise they'll just ignore them.

Sure some people might watch just to see the finds, but there also can be noobs who watch such videos to learn by seeing the VDIs and hearing the tones and seeing what is found after each VDI and tone.

Obviously, a lot of people do want to watch videos for those reasons. Some people can't get out as much as they would like (or at all) and enjoy feeling like they're part of the hunt, rather than just show and tell.

Some people hunt plenty, but they like to see the environments and places other people get to hunt and see the differences other than what comes out of the ground.

Some people are looking to buy a different detector and want to see how the XYZ Superdetector 2000 behaves.

Some people DO learn by watching videos AND doing the activity. Metal detecting videos certainly can be instructional. It's not either/or.

Some people don't have multiple detectors or they just don't have the time or even sensibilities to think of valid tests or experiments. So, if somebody else wants to spend their time doing a video showing different settings over the same target using the same detector they own, then they can watch it, learn something, and spend their own time detecting.

^^That pretty much covers it. If you don't like the type of videos a certain detectorist is posting, simply move on and find another channel that appeals to you. Once you find the channels you like, hit the subscribe button and you're good to go. Different people want to see different things in these vids and there's enough variety on YT to cover it all. I personally can't stand to see people being rude to content creators in the comments section. Its actually not so bad in the metal detecting community, but in other topics its downright ridiculous. For some reason people on YouTube have no filter and tend to say some very nasty stuff that they wouldn't say in person or even on forums. Uncalled for IMHO.

I do agree that its nice to hear the tones and see the VDI in vids but doing that on every single target gets to be extremely time consuming. Camera batteries and SD cards don't last very long so most of us are constantly starting and stopping recording. And yes, when recording you do feel the need to interact with the viewers for whatever reason, which can be annoying and sometimes discouraging from hitting the record button. Sometimes its nice to just get out an detect without worry of recording. But if you find something nice, of course you still want to include it in a future video.. which is probably why you see so many videos just showing the target post dig. I try to show live digs on targets that seem promising. Good depth, tone and/or good numbers. I dig a TON of targets which are mostly junk, so if I tried to show every single one of them I'd spend more time fooling with the camera than actually enjoying the hobby.

I originally started my channel just to have something that my Grandkids could look back and enjoy once I'm gone from this world. Yeah, its nice to get views, comments and subscribers but at the end of the day, making the vids is just another hobby too. If it becomes more like work, no point in doing it anymore IMHO.

I will almost always hunt alone so; I like seeing everything someone else is doing, just as if I where with them.

I like when they show the numbers, make a guess what it is and why and see if they are right. I find that some folks are wrong just as much as I am! It makes me feel better when I uncover another piece of can slaw.

I also like to see what other machines are capable of. Chances are I will never see one other than mine.

I also like the guys that cut in with the find all cleaned up and what information they have on it, rather than have to wait till the end.

I saw a video last week that was about three years old. He was in the woods and found three silvers in a row, almost sticking out of the ground. One just under a couple leaves. (all way to shinny) I found that one a little hard to swallow...

If your gonna make videos, show the vdi and the sound. Otherwise your video is useless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same goes for find. Just a picture is useless.
Where was it found, USA, Europe, State , Vdi helps .
We all like when someone finds something, But don’t rite a Book. I tend to not read long post.

I will almost always hunt alone so; I like seeing everything someone else is doing, just as if I where with them.

I like when they show the numbers, make a guess what it is and why and see if they are right. I find that some folks are wrong just as much as I am! It makes me feel better when I uncover another piece of can slaw.

I also like to see what other machines are capable of. Chances are I will never see one other than mine.

I also like the guys that cut in with the find all cleaned up and what information they have on it, rather than have to wait till the end.

I saw a video last week that was about three years old. He was in the woods and found three silvers in a row, almost sticking out of the ground. One just under a couple leaves. (all way to shinny) I found that one a little hard to swallow...
I'm sure that some of the videos are faked for sure.

As Gary pointed out a while back in the "Explain Your User Name" thread... at least I don't have to worry about wearing steel toe boots and wonder why my detector keeps going off.🤣👣

As Gary pointed out a while back in the "Explain Your User Name" thread... at least I don't have to worry about wearing steel toe boots and wonder why my detector keeps going off.🤣👣

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

but hey, going barefoot means you miss out on wearing some fun shoes :laughing:
barefoot_boots.jpgbarefoot_tennis_shoes.jpgbarefoot-shoes.jpgGrass-Sandals..jpg

Last edited:
How about the guy who claims to only make videos when he finds good stuff. It's amazing that almost every other week or so he makes a video of the good stuff, right on schedule.

Or another guy who claims to be a long time treasure hunter yet he never knows what kind of gem stones that he finds or old coins for that matter.

Then there is the guy who forget his pin pointer and has his metal detector sitting right next to him and he's not able to find the target after digging the plug. Really?

Another guy claims to hunt for 6-7 hours digging 800 holes, yet while he is on the beach you are hard pressed to see another pre dug hole. Does he even realize that equates to a hole every 45 seconds?

The lure of fame and maybe fortune is too much for some people. There are good detecting channels out there, each one a bit different. Find what you enjoy and don't watch the ones that you don't like. Simple enough.

How about the guy who claims to only make videos when he finds good stuff. It's amazing that almost every other week or so he makes a video of the good stuff, right on schedule.

Another guy claims to hunt for 6-7 hours digging 800 holes, yet while he is on the beach you are hard pressed to see another pre dug hole. Does he even realize that equates to a hole every 45 seconds?

This^^^is so true!

If your gonna make videos, show the vdi and the sound. Otherwise your video is useless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto! Especially when you're trying to learn something or make a purchase decision! Or, how about the one's that have one detector's sensitivity cranked to the Max and a better detector set at half or less sensitivity. Then they rave about how much better their detector is than say a NOX 800 (for example)!

I make metal detecting videos for people who don’t metal detect. So I go light on the digging and beeping and heavy on the history and explaining the significance of the finds. One channel I know has a guy constantly sniffling snot and has a large audience. I don’t understand how people can watch.

I make metal detecting videos for people who don’t metal detect. So I go light on the digging and beeping and heavy on the history and explaining the significance of the finds.
One channel I know has a guy constantly sniffling snot and has a large audience.
I don’t understand how people can watch.

…..maybe because how some movies can be so bad they are good (as comedy :lol:)

…...sorta like the movies they showed on "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" :laughing:
MST3K5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom