Equinox 800 and nails..

Copperhead77

Had it for about a week, hunting in field 2 mostly. Getting mid to high tones 18 to 22 range only to find a nail? Any tweaking I can do to remedy this? Thanks

Had it for about a week, hunting in field 2 mostly. Getting mid to high tones 18 to 22 range only to find a nail? Any tweaking I can do to remedy this? Thanks

I'm still trying to figure it out but I also usually hunt in Field2 and found sometimes if you circle it and hit them from other directions the signal changes.
"Down the Pipe", long ways and from the short side ways on nails are usually different where good targets like coins stay the same...mostly.
The numbers change, not just the tone and pinpoint duration.
Could still be good, vertical coins might act similarly but my numbers don't change much even in that kind of target.
Of course nails could be down there sitting in all sorts of different positions but I deal with a ton of nails and I am gaining more confidence in the circling thing every hunt.

Also I found the higher recovery speed numbers seem to help and tighten the signals, 4-7 or so.
The low ones work but the lower you go the longer all signals seem to be and makes it harder to notice the smaller, tight coin ones.
Not concerned with losing depth here because most targets don't sink much more than 6" in my red clay.

You guys are using the horseshoe button to check for iron on coin sized targets down to about 10” right? Depending on mineralization, most coin sized targets at or past that depth may have some iron numbers thrown in anyway even if the target turns out to be a high conductor.

Jeff

You guys are using the horseshoe button to check for iron on coin sized targets down to about 10” right? Depending on mineralization, most coin sized targets at or past that depth may have some iron numbers thrown in anyway even if the target turns out to be a high conductor.

Jeff

Also deep tabs come in suspiciously like zinc or copper cents in my dirt.
The horseshoe is helpful but I have so much iron here it shows up in most swings no matter what.
Short quick side to side sweeps with the center of the coil and no horseshoe gives me a little better info but I will continue to experiment.

Complete beaver tail pull tabs hit in the 16 to 19 range in my bad dirt too. The most modern pull tabs will hit anywhere from 13 to 15 if they are not bent or damaged. The older square tabs hit 11 to 13 if they are not badly damaged.......

I use the pinpoint function a lot to help separate deeper targets. Also, if I can get repeatable numbers and tones with tiny sweeps in one direction on deep coin sized targets, I'm probably digging. If I am lucky enough to get relatively tight numbers and tone in two directions 90 degrees apart, I am definitely digging.

Having a really good, quiet, coil pumping ground balance setting has really helped me on deeper targets and also helps more accurately pinpoint..........

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom