What type of button is this?

bearbqd

Elite Member
Sorry for the crudeness of the drawing but can anyone identify what type of button this is with this design on the back? I found it when I was a kid in my parents relic-rich yard. I believe it is civil war era.

Attachments

• civil_war_button_190.jpg
    civil_war_button_190.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 276
heh Me thinks its a paper maze. J/K

Is it a raised or flat button? Any markings on the front of the button?

Flat button, nothing on the front. I'm pretty sure I saw one similar to it in the civil war museum in Gettysburg as a kid ,but I can't remember.

I'm afraid you're not giving us much information to go on. What was on the front? How did it attach? Was it two pieces pressed together? What type of metal? was it corroded or did it have a gilt?

Carol K said:
I'm afraid you're not giving us much information to go on. What was on the front? How did it attach? Was it two pieces pressed together? What type of metal? was it corroded or did it have a gilt?

What's a gilt? The button has nothing on the front, it's about the size of a nickel, it has a greenish corrosion tint to it. I have no idea how it attached. That's about all I know of it. Does brass turn that greenish color?

Are you sure it's even a button, Bearbqd... with just one hole?
I know they made one-hole buttons, but that doesn't mean what you have is a button.
I have pictures of tokens that look just like that in my token book... and my book is the standard book of U.S. tokens - 1700 to 1900.

I think he was trying to draw an eyelet Krom... At least that's what it looks like to me.

Yup, could be, Craig... or maybe it's the female end of a snap.

Yeah, Krom, the middle part is raised like its the broken part of a loop that you would thread through. I'm pretty positive its a button and like I said, I'm fairly sure I saw one like it in a display case with other stuff at the Gettysburg Museum when I was a kid. I just don't know if it came from a uniform or what.

I got my camera to work just a little bit better so here's a few shots of the button. The other picture is a couple of other buttons I found in that garden along with a garter belt clasp.

Attachments

• buttons_and_garter_belt_110.jpg
    buttons_and_garter_belt_110.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 244
  • civil_war_button_front_120.jpg
    civil_war_button_front_120.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 250
  • civil_war_button_better_931.jpg
    civil_war_button_better_931.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 237
I have the same type button... I just can't make out all the letters on it to google it. I cleaned it in my tumbler but its still in nasty shape...

Its probably a generic button made during the 1850's or so...

I find them all the time and throw them into my button box...

You could check a site such as the Waterbury Button factory they made a lot of different kinds of buttons.

button

Not much help but that design is known as "greek Key"and it goes back over a thousnd years in architecture,but was also used in depression glas as well as (obviously)buttons,The garter clasp is a nice find.

Back
Top Bottom