Musical Ear Syndrome

Lee1968

Elite Member
Nothing to do with metal detecting, but some information you may find helpful. My mom moved in with us last year after she fell at home and couldn't stay by herself. She has been very open about the fact that she has no fear of death. She said she looks forward to it in a way - no more pain, be with dad, be at peace etc. She does have 2 fears though: 1) Having a stroke and being paralyzed. 2) Losing her mind. For the last month or so she has been acting a little "off". She finally confided in us this week that she hears music when none is playing. She says she hears religious and Christmas songs - always in a man's voice, although she can't place the singer. She was sincerely afraid she was losing her mind. I did a quick search, and found Musical Ear Syndrome. Somewhat common in older folks with hearing loss. I won't go into the whole article, but they are auditory hallucinations. Nothing to do with losing your faculties, only you hearing. Her relief when I showed the article to her was evident. She cracked jokes about it and was back to herself somewhat. Something to keep in mind if you are caring for someone, and they are having hearing issues. She said she was very scared, and the information put her at ease.

You sound like a good son, and I'm sure the info put you at ease too. My wife and I bought a house with a first floor guest room just in case one of our parents needs to stay with us some day. Given the cost of assisted living and the aging Boomer generation, many middle aged people need to be thinking about it.

Wow, I had definitely never heard of this! thanks for sharing, seriously; I really love learning about all these one-off and odd ailments (if that's the correct word here) and whatnot. :)

You sound like a good son, and I'm sure the info put you at ease too. My wife and I bought a house with a first floor guest room just in case one of our parents needs to stay with us some day. Given the cost of assisted living and the aging Boomer generation, many middle aged people need to be thinking about it.

It was my dad's fault. The year he died, he said "take care of your mother if anything happens to me." I told him I would, and here we are lol. Seriously, my wife deserves all the credit. She doesn't work outside the house, and she does EVERYTHING around here. She is truly someone special. It is thoughtful of you and your wife to make sure you have room. It can happen quickly.

Wow, I had definitely never heard of this! thanks for sharing, seriously; I really love learning about all these one-off and odd ailments (if that's the correct word here) and whatnot. :)

You are welcome. It was certainly a surprise to me about this "affliction" but it is very real, and had her greatly concerned.

Back
Top Bottom