Possibly a musket ball and pocket knife

Digger2019

I’m still hunting the 1834 house site where confederate soldiers took over the home during the civil war for several months. I’m still very new to detected and even NEWER to Civil War artifacts... I’m thinking one is a musket ball, it’s very heavy. One looks like a possible pocket knife?
Would electrolysis help? If so I will study up on how to make it. 😆

Attachments

• 0F23E18E-7A45-460D-A3E1-327393B2CAC5.jpg
    0F23E18E-7A45-460D-A3E1-327393B2CAC5.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 379
  • 290D9219-CAA7-40AB-8EED-88CBE3555CFE.jpg
    290D9219-CAA7-40AB-8EED-88CBE3555CFE.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 318
Judging by the shotgun shell and the 22 shell I think the little ball is modern buckshot. I don’t know about the knife most of the pocket knives I have seen have some brass ends that don’t corrode. I think that you should detect some more I bet there is a lot more stuff out there if the place is really that old. Good luck.

Bank Fisher, you want to come help me? I keep getting it all wrong ☹️
I could seriously use someone that knows what they are looking at. 😊

The top brass item appears to be a lantern or possibly a lamp base. it might be early electric as the hole through is round and the arms to hold the hoop are there on the side. The next two are iron and most likely off a carriage as one looks like a carriage bolt and the other looks like a leaf spring end that is broken. The round ball appears too small for a musket, however it could be a pistol shot. and the jack knife is exactly that, a jack knife. Most of these are difficult to date but the lamp parts might have a patent date somewhere, so it might be worth cleaning up a bit.

It is a pocket knife, or what's left of one. I'm more interested in the cartridge casing in the center, and I doubt that round cylinder is a shotgun shell, or anything else gun-related.

I'll see if I can get anything off the casing. I don't think the other is a shot gun she'll, more like a small pipe.

What year is the nickel? Id say your onto something there, keep hunting that spot, certainly looks to have some history...

It is a pocket knife, or what's left of one. I'm more interested in the cartridge casing in the center, and I doubt that round cylinder is a shotgun shell, or anything else gun-related.

I finally got it cleaned up enough to see a diamond shape on it, but I can't see any numbers.

Back
Top Bottom