Thinking about getting a new detector

Tuckerjr

Although I have only used the Vanquish 540 a few months, I have literally been hunting every day, and haven't missed one yet.

I find myself wanting to upgrade, to a waterproof detector with more features. Up until the other day that was going to be the Equinox 800.

My son just purchased a simplex+ and from what I see I like it.

That lead me to look at the Legend.

So my question is, from those of you that have used both the Nokta Makro Legend and the Minelab Equinox 800, which do you prefer and why?

I know that switching to the Nokta (if I do) will require learning a new set of target IDs, and I'm fine with that.

Not trying to start an argument about which is better, from my research they are both fine machines. I just want some input from those who have used both if possible.

Although I have only used the Vanquish 540 a few months, I have literally been hunting every day, and haven't missed one yet.

I find myself wanting to upgrade, to a waterproof detector with more features. Up until the other day that was going to be the Equinox 800.

My son just purchased a simplex+ and from what I see I like it.

That lead me to look at the Legend.

So my question is, from those of you that have used both the Nokta Makro Legend and the Minelab Equinox 800, which do you prefer and why?

I know that switching to the Nokta (if I do) will require learning a new set of target IDs, and I'm fine with that.

Not trying to start an argument about which is better, from my research they are both fine machines. I just want some input from those who have used both if possible.

I got the simplex, returned it to get the legend.

then purchased the Deus2

Then the CTX 3030

I have not used any Nokta machines, although I would love to try one! I have been using the Equinox 800 for 2 years now. I love the machine! The only point I have is given the way I have used it so far, the 600 model would have been fine. The adjustments I make to the stock programs are minor. So if money is a consideration, I would look at the 600. I got the 800 because I could afford it and have a "buy once and cry once" attitude.

The Nox will have better separation and unmasking abilities than the Legend, due to the Nox having a manual iron bias control, and the Legend having a very high iron bias preset that is not adjustable. However, within a couple of weeks, there is a major feature update for the Legend, and one of the features will be a manual iron bias control. So ya, performance wise, they are both similar, and both are excellent.

The Legend is cheaper to purchase and accessories like coils are cheaper. For the former, it's not uncommon for Nox owners to immediately purchase a better lower shaft and coil stabilizers.

The Legend's build quality is superior to the Nox. The Nox is known for control housing leakage, so given that you want your detector to be waterproof, this is a serious consideration.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Also, I don't recall the Nox having pitch tones, but I could be wrong about this. Hopefully, someone else will chime in to confirm or deny that. So, if you prefer pitch tones, that is also something to consider. The Legend doesn't have pitch tones, but that's coming in the soon to be released update.

The Legend and the Equinox 800 both already have VCO "pitch tone" audio in their gold modes but iron tone on or off is not included in those modes. The Legend will have pitch tone audio with iron tone for its other modes soon. The Equinox does not have that option for its other modes.

The Legend and Equinox 800 are really similar in overall performance. It would be very hard for me to choose between them if I had never used them. That is a good thing so you can't really go wrong.

If you are thinking of buying a Nox 600.......I would go with the Legend for a similar price. The Legend has a lot more features than the Nox 600.

Between the Nox 800 and the Legend (with the 1.08 update factored in) it is a really tough call for me and I own both of them. They are both outstanding detectors. The price difference is substantial however and the Legend has five features that I really like which the Equinox 800 doesn't have....4 different easy to use preset ground/iron discrimination patterns that are similar to the horseshoe button on the Equinox and Vanquish 440/540, 16 user profile slots for custom programs (Equinox 800 has 1), handle vibration for presence of a target for use submerged or for the hearing impaired, a 6 tone option which is great for US coins, and the Ferro-Check function. There are more differences that I am forgetting.

After thousands of hours using the Equinox 800 and 300 hours using the Legend.....again, they are so close in performance that making a decision to let one or the other go would be really hard.

Would I prefer to take the Legend into a submerged salt or fresh water detecting situation over my out of warranty Nox 800s......definitely due to the rock solid build quality of the Legend and the well documented leaking of the Nox.

For me, the Equinox (with updated carbon fiber shafts) is easier for me to swing since the Legend feels heavier.

The Legend has a very busy screen with some awkward (for me and my eyesight) user interface controls with several buttons having multiple functions.

The Equinox like the Vanquish models is very straight forward with easy to see display and easy to use controls at least for me.

They both detect extremely well and moving up to them from a Vanquish 540 should be pretty easy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the audio clarification jmac.

If I wasn't a gold prospector I wouldn't know what kind of audio those two modes have so not meaning to frequently add stuff to your posts.

We just seem to end up in the same topics on this forum.

I am lucky that I have the ability to own several detectors, I have lots of time, sites and also still have lots of energy to detect a wide range of target possibilities. So metal detecting is a big part of my life right now which includes participating in forums, clubs and training new detector users. So I am grateful that I can get lots of in the field time behind detectors right now and can really learn them.

Back
Top Bottom