• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A nice gratifying piece of sterling.

bobac

Elite Member
Well, I've been so busy I hadn't had time to put up a new post on here, not that I've had much to show and tell........

The snow is sitting on the grass pretty thick now and I've resorted to sorting and tumbling and trying to reduce the number of bowls and containers that have been sitting around in the basement with dirty coins in them.....
I did turn in two separate loads, one for 95 and the other for 102 bucks!!! I know that's not a lot for most folks on here , but my dig time was limited to about a fourth of what I usually spend digging.....
But anyway, this was a nice little find from my last hunt, and toss in a little merc for silver number 65 FTY......If it ends right there I really can't complain....
BTW, the spoon was made by Towle Silversmiths / Towle Manufacturing Co.
Newburyport, MA founded in 1882.
I sent out a few emails to some experts in the field and am told since this has the patent date on it , It would have been produced between 1892 and 1898 ! So I was pretty stoked about that little score. I can only think of one other solid sterling spoon that I have ever found and that one was quite ornate as well.

Attachments

• merc 1.jpg
    merc 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 523
  • merc 2.jpg
    merc 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 530
  • spoon 1.jpg
    spoon 1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 546
  • spoon 2.jpg
    spoon 2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 553
  • spoon 3.jpg
    spoon 3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 526
  • spoon 4.jpg
    spoon 4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 550
  • spoon 5.jpg
    spoon 5.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 497
  • spoon 7.jpg
    spoon 7.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 513
Yeah I’d take that pretty fast...helluva lot of silver weight! A 200$ load of clad is doing pretty well Bob,don’t forget to add that final count to the 2018 forum wide clad thread...50 silvers a year isn’t exactly easy,never mind 65! You can be pretty pumped about your finds and the hunting that went with them...

If the year ends today Bob you would not have anything to regret. 65 Silver coins and over $200 in clad are very impressive numbers. Even more so by the limited amount of time your had available. The Spoon is a fantastic recovery and is something I have yet to to dig. Yours is a beautiful example with it's ornate designs. Big congrats on a great year. Trapper

That is a beautiful spoon I am also impressed with your silver total for the year. The only silver I have found this year is some sterling items. Not a single silver coin. Congratulations on a very good year.

Back
Top Bottom