Bullet shell??

ACANTHUS

It says a & t It was found in france and is I believe made of copper and is fairly large please help??

Attachments

• antbullet.JPG
    antbullet.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 417
  • antbullet1.JPG
    antbullet1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 397
  • antbullet2.JPG
    antbullet2.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 379
Yep, it's a casing alright. Unfired, possibly WW1-WW2. Thats all I could say.

It is an 8x50 Lebel, standard French military rifle round from the late 1880's or so through WWI.

Great find was this a major battle area ?? but i guess every acre in WW1 and WW11 was. Many years ago there was a story about a WW1 dough boy whose tags and boot were found with his remains. The story went on to say how he went through two wars....he was found by a farmer in France plowing his fields..

Could be from a grenade launcher, the shell casing looks like a blank round used for that purpose........

I disagree about it being a 8x50 Lebel casing.
My bet is that it is 11x59R Gras. What's the diameter of the rim? Around 0,67 inches/ 16,8 mm perhaps.

Voriax

Entirely possible on it being the Gras cartridge, unfortunately the rim measurement is almost identical on both, the forward portion would make identification easier and that is pretty much gone.  The headstamp would be the key to definite identification, a posting on one of the French military arms forums would probably clear it up. The numbers on the headstamp are the year of manufacture of that particular cartridge. The 4 on the left side designate the fourth quarter, opposite is possibly a 6, if it is a 6 it was manufactured in the 4th quarter of 1906.

Well the headstamp doesn't really make it easier...pretty much similar markings on both cartridges. ART means the round is made for artillery, 4 means its manufactured during 4th quarter of the year. 6 is manufacturing year, 1906 most likely as otherwise there should be two numbers. B would be the factory code.

Voriax

Wow how amazing are you people knowing your stuff huh?? I find lots of deifferent bullet shells in france and cartridges and musket balls.....lots of history round here its just my rubbish/trash language skills that hold me back...

Back
Top Bottom