• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A fun hunt! Sterling ring, and Sterling bracelet.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Saturday found me out and about... In snow flurries, but with soft ground!

Started off the day REALLY slowly... Went to an elementary school on the other side of town. I think I've been there before, but not for a year or so. Clearly someone else has been. There was only one penny in three tot-lots, and the grass was pretty much empty. I think I pulled out $0.33 in an hour. Fortunately, I had to poop.

So I left and hit a convenience store, and dropped off some weight. Hit the school yard down the way, and found it was pretty much empty, too, but figured I'd give it a full hour anyway. Ended up pulling another $2.50 or so, but nailed a nice sterling ring. This says "HLJ" but is a CTR ring for Spanish (means "Choose The Right"). Should bring in about $20 on eBay when I sell it.

Then I left that school and went to a neighborhood park, nearby. THAT's where things got more fun. Found three rings there, two which had me fooled for gold, until I saw their size out of the dirt (small rings don't ring up in the 60 range on the AT Pro/Max). I did find a nice FG Tungsten Carbide ring (I still have a hard time that they charge $399 for these rings.. They've even got a TC.850 trademark on the inside, which means NOTHING... it's just made to look expensive. LOL)

But, it fits! It's actually a really nice ring, too. Wore it out last night to my wife's birthday dinner. Looked guuud.

The banner find of the day, though, was the sterling bracelet. That sucker hit my detector like a pile of pennies with a nickle mixed in would sound. I seriously thought it was going to a a coin spill. I bent down, and the glint of silver showed through the grass. Hadn't even been buried, fully, yet, with most of it just being under the thatch (been there a while).

Didn't take long to figure out how it was lost. This particular clasp is a SERIOUSLY hard clasp to get undone. Once it's clicked in, you have to use a tiny pin or needle to push the clasp point down to unlock it. I suspect someone was annoyed by this, and put it in upside down (just wedging it into place), or did it by mistake. Either way, it's pretty much brand new, and a great addition. Was just lamenting that I hadn't found any nice silver bracelets yet this year! It weighed in at 15 grams, on the nose.

Time to lament about not finding gold! :)

One of the rings didn't make it home with me... gave it to a kid at the tot-lot. Mom was overjoyed. LOL

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 176
Nice hunt.....silver rings are always a nice find and so is the bracelet. Schools here are drying up fast.... more people hunting them and nowadays kids don't bring money to school for anything. Everything is paid for electronically.

Nice hunt.....silver rings are always a nice find and so is the bracelet. Schools here are drying up fast.... more people hunting them and nowadays kids don't bring money to school for anything. Everything is paid for electronically.

That doesn't seem to be the case where I am. I regularly do a circuit on the 20+ schools locally, and there's always money and jewelry. I think most of the schools still have PTO programs, where, on Fridays the kids can bring $0.50 for a bag of popcorn. That results in plenty of quarters making their way to the fields, either as change FROM the popcorn, or from the popcorn money!

But, around here, most of the schools are also used for sports practices, and stuff ends up in the kids pockets, too. I do appreciate, though, that more detectorists make it harder. The tot lots at the schools rarely contain anything, anymore, and the first 3 strips against the playground are usually picked clean. I go out and grid the bigger fields for most of my finds. They're a little further between finds, but pickings can be good.

That doesn't seem to be the case where I am. I regularly do a circuit on the 20+ schools locally, and there's always money and jewelry. I think most of the schools still have PTO programs, where, on Fridays the kids can bring $0.50 for a bag of popcorn. That results in plenty of quarters making their way to the fields, either as change FROM the popcorn, or from the popcorn money!

But, around here, most of the schools are also used for sports practices, and stuff ends up in the kids pockets, too. I do appreciate, though, that more detectorists make it harder. The tot lots at the schools rarely contain anything, anymore, and the first 3 strips against the playground are usually picked clean. I go out and grid the bigger fields for most of my finds. They're a little further between finds, but pickings can be good.
There's still things to be found at schools here but just not as much and some of that is because I have been hunting them for the last 36 years:laughing: It's just that the coins aren't being replaced as fast as they used to be. My hunt radius gets bigger every year and occasionally we happen across a few good sites. Schools here have baseball and soccer fields and they're a good place to find coins too. Good luck to you the rest of the year....

Back
Top Bottom