• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Quick Thaw - Quick Hunt - SCORE 1733 Farthing

METALMANIAC-NY

Elite Member
Got out late last week to take advantage of the brief thaw. Drove 55 minutes only to find the field was still frozen solid!!! Ughh Slightly dejected I headed back and stopped at a very productive spot nearer to me. Small area Ive pounded since December. Some areas were diggable...game on!

Extremely overgrown site....I was jamming my coil under every briar bush trying to hit every nook and cranny. After a few iron digs....I got a mixed tone along the edge of the property....picking up the barb wire fence I thought.....nope...was able to isolate and PP. Rang 88-91 on the Deus

After pulling out 2 nails I pinpointed and wiped away the edge of a coin or button!!!??? I flipped it on edge in the muck and was hoping for my first copper....pulled it out and I was like....smaller coin....Clad Quarter??
Wiped away some of the dirt and saw good ole King George II looking left....1733 KG II Farthing!! Indeed my first copper FTY and only my 4th Farthing ever...including a 1698 William III from 2016....:cool:
{Ive included a size comparison pic next to a KG Half Penny}

Still some more cleaning to do but all the detail is there….nice coin

Looking forward to a fun year ahead!! Thanks for looking....HH

Attachments

• 1733 farthing Hole IMG_0994.jpg
    1733 farthing Hole IMG_0994.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 484
  • 1733 faarthin g  edge holeIMG_0993.jpg
    1733 faarthin g edge holeIMG_0993.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 471
  • 1733 farthinh frontIMG_1029.jpg
    1733 farthinh frontIMG_1029.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 499
  • 1733 Farthing backIMG_1030.jpg
    1733 Farthing backIMG_1030.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 448
  • Darthing  KG ComparisonIMG_1021.jpg
    Darthing KG ComparisonIMG_1021.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Great play-by-play account. Great in-situ pix , like a Christmas present about to be un-wrapped. Love the green patinas . It almost looks like a real find ! :sissyfight:

Nice! Congrats on the old coins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great find and very descriptive post. Felt the excitement you must have as I was reading along.

What a cool find! I've never found a KG farthing. Why anyone would ever need 1/4 penny coinage is beyond me!

Guess back in the day a farthing was to make change for a penny! Like in the good ole days you’d hear “she did it for a farthing and for that I was happy!”

Great Hunt! I also enjoyed how you laid out your hunt in this post...Half way through I said to myself.."Tom is gonna bust a spring!":laughing:

Man I am surprise you made it out. With our weather a few days it in the single digits and then it will shoots up towards 50. Mud everywhere and then back to frozen ground.

Are you on the east side of the Hudson?

Ray

ny winter thaws have always been productive hunts for me as well. You can get to places that are just impossible the rest of the year

Back
Top Bottom