Sell Silver to Buy Gold?

I don't think there would be much reason to if your'e looking for an investment. It's anybody's guess which will do better. Depends on why your'e buying it. If your'e looking for an investment, sell both and buy dividend paying stock, if your prepping for doomsday I think silver would be the way to go because it has more industrial applications than gold.

Gold’s had value for thousands of years, silver too, although they don’t pay any kind of dividend, they just sit there collecting dust. So, lousy investment. They are good as a hedge, or some kind of protection to carry one’s wealth.

Doesn’t have to be either or. Both metals are valuable, although if you must make a quick bug-out, a quantity of gold is much easier to carry than the same value in silver.

I would sell gold and buy silver right now. Gold is only 5.4% ($75.00) off of it's five year high price ($1382.00), while silver is 28.4% ($6.24) off it's five year high ($21.97). Based on those numbers, the odds are that silver will have a better chance for an increase over the next year.

I compare it to the price of a stock. I would never buy a stock if it's anywhere near it's 52 week high price. Usually not much room for an increase in that situation. Much better to buy a stock that's bottomed and starting to work it's way back up. Just my take on it.

Don't forget no matter which commodity you buy, you will be paying a buyer's premium when you buy it and a seller's premium when you sell it to most dealers. And both just will eat away if there is any appreciation/profit to be made. Both require safe keepings/storage. Plus depending where you buy it, did you buy the real McCoy and not some counterfeit.

The bottom line, is it worth the risk and cost factors of the few dollars to possibly be made?

Don't forget no matter which commodity you buy, you will be paying a buyer's premium when you buy it and a seller's premium when you sell it to most dealers. And both just will eat away if there is any appreciation/profit to be made. Both require safe keepings/storage. Plus depending where you buy it, did you buy the real McCoy and not some counterfeit.

The bottom line, is it worth the risk and cost factors of the few dollars to possibly be made?
I only buy silver at spot prices. No way would I pay over that price. No need for brokers or anything like that in this day and age. I buy and sell on eBay and Craigslist. I wouldn't touch silver bars with a ten foot pole, though. WAY too many bogus silver bars out there. I stick to junk silver coins. Very strong market for them all the time and almost zero chance of counterfeits.

Contrary to what some folks think you CAN profit from silver and gold but you have to be patient and be willing to hold it until the time is right to sell. I buy both silver and gold but stick to 90% junk silver coins and gold coins that are bullion oriented such as Swiss or French Francs, English Sovereigns, or even US Five Dollar gold Pieces. I get all my bullion at coin shows because that's where I get the best prices. No broker fees either buying or selling and no shipping charges. Whether or not you should trade silver for gold is up to you but remember that you'll end up with less value if you do that because when you cash your gold you'll get wholesale and then will pay retail for the silver and even though the spread is small you'll still lose some of the wealth you have accumulated. My advice would be to keep the gold and just buy some silver with additional funds.

Hey 5Mile! You old MegaFonter! How you been old Buddy?:laughing:

To answer your query, 'selling silver to buy gold'......As mentioned by FreeBirdTim, an Old guy I know told me this...He likes the scrap silver coins... In the older mintages out of circulation strikes....

Mercs and Standers and Barbers and BF's and Walkers and Peace and Morgans...Common dates with a few numismatic premium flyers....He also had some 1oz bullion rounds of interesting strike, like the Buff Nickel and the Merc dime 1oz rounds...they are really pretty he said!

He dont hold Rosies or GW's or JFK's..simply on account of the design is still in circulation....

He would pop for a gold coin now and then, but again, along the same lines...Original old strike, not so much interested in the new bullion rounds ...So would He sell his silver to buy some gold? Probably not, maybe do a trade of somesort with his numismatics...He'll buy them both with extra Frns or clad when possible...that was His plan...

Unfortunately, he no longer owns any gold or silver coins, due to a tragic boating accident that is too painful for him to discuss..said he was lucky to make it to shore alive..He warned me this is quite a common occurance befalling all coin Hodlers throughout the ages from Atocha to Satoshi...

Regarding Gold coins....From what I've observed, The little $1 gold coins hold a premium over melt, on account of the ease of transactional transferrance, easier to move..so it would be better to have 20 $1 gold coins as opposed to holding one $20....:?: Thats what the old guy told me anyways...

So for me, as I listened to him, I said to myself, "The Hell with coins!" ...I figured probably the best trade investment for SHTF scenario is a 144 brick of Bic Lighters...a freaking guy would be KING! And a brick of some ballisticals that fit an appropriate dispenser ...and a dog of course...

Attachments

• gold coin.jpg
    gold coin.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Hey 5Mile! You old MegaFonter! How you been old Buddy?:laughing:

To answer your query, 'selling silver to buy gold'......As mentioned by FreeBirdTim, an Old guy I know told me this...He likes the scrap silver coins... In the older mintages out of circulation strikes....

Mercs and Standers and Barbers and BF's and Walkers and Peace and Morgans...Common dates with a few numismatic premium flyers....He also had some 1oz bullion rounds of interesting strike, like the Buff Nickel and the Merc dime 1oz rounds...they are really pretty he said!

He dont hold Rosies or GW's or JFK's..simply on account of the design is still in circulation....

He would pop for a gold coin now and then, but again, along the same lines...Original old strike, not so much interested in the new bullion rounds ...So would He sell his silver to buy some gold? Probably not, maybe do a trade of somesort with his numismatics...He'll buy them both with extra Frns or clad when possible...that was His plan...

Unfortunately, he no longer owns any gold or silver coins, due to a tragic boating accident that is too painful for him to discuss..said he was lucky to make it to shore alive..He warned me this is quite a common occurance befalling all coin Hodlers throughout the ages from Atocha to Satoshi...

Regarding Gold coins....From what I've observed, The little $1 gold coins hold a premium over melt, on account of the ease of transactional transferrance, easier to move..so it would be better to have 20 $1 gold coins as opposed to holding one $20....:?: Thats what the old guy told me anyways...

So for me, as I listened to him, I said to myself, "The Hell with coins!" ...I figured probably the best trade investment for SHTF scenario is a 144 brick of Bic Lighters...a freaking guy would be KING! And a brick of some ballisticals that fit an appropriate dispenser ...and a dog of course...

Mudpuppy....you forgot to include a good knife, and a few cases of TP!!

Your thoughts on selling silver to buy gold.

I've done both (selling one to pick up the other). Personally, I think you're better off researching rarer silver coins (such as early silver half-dimes) and trading in your silver for that. They grow in value much more than silver or gold does.

On the flip-side, trading silver for gold makes stacking MUCH easier.. .and you're less likely to trade, give-away, or simply sell a gold coin.

Cheers,

Skippy

I've done both (selling one to pick up the other). Personally, I think you're better off researching rarer silver coins (such as early silver half-dimes) and trading in your silver for that. They grow in value much more than silver or gold does.

On the flip-side, trading silver for gold makes stacking MUCH easier.. .and you're less likely to trade, give-away, or simply sell a gold coin.

Cheers,

Skippy

The one big drawback to buying scarce or rare silver coins is that they're much harder to unload when the time comes and the buyback percentage is WAY less than for bullion items.

The one big drawback to buying scarce or rare silver coins is that they're much harder to unload when the time comes and the buyback percentage is WAY less than for bullion items.

Possibly, but the difference is they rarely depreciate. Can't say that about bullion.

I've turned around purchases of rare coins in a matter of months and made 30% profits. Depends on what/why you're holding onto the coins for.

Some folks hold silver because they truly believe the economy will falter and it'll give them the opportunity to barter for food and stuff with the silver. Me? I just stock up food, and basic supplies (like a water purification kit!) It's much easier and 10x easier to consume. No transactions required, and frankly, it's a lot easier to access when the time is needed. I have a nice 4-months supply in a pantry upstairs, could be stretched much longer if supplemented.

Skippy

Possibly, but the difference is they rarely depreciate. Can't say that about bullion.

I've turned around purchases of rare coins in a matter of months and made 30% profits. Depends on what/why you're holding onto the coins for.

Some folks hold silver because they truly believe the economy will falter and it'll give them the opportunity to barter for food and stuff with the silver. Me? I just stock up food, and basic supplies (like a water purification kit!) It's much easier and 10x easier to consume. No transactions required, and frankly, it's a lot easier to access when the time is needed. I have a nice 4-months supply in a pantry upstairs, could be stretched much longer if supplemented.

Skippy
I have some coins but most of my holdings is in silver and gold. Over the years I've made a lot of money buying and eventually selling precious metal when the time was right. If you sold rare coins and made a 30% profit in a few months you are definitely in the minority. Of course being able to make a profit that soon depends on what you paid for them originally. Precious metal depreciates that's true but it also APPRECIATES . It's up and down on a daily basis. It's just a matter of holding it until the right time comes along....and eventually it will. I have collector coins but I know I won't see a profit on them. The enjoyment I get from having them is my profit.

Keep and buy both. But if you asking which one is due to go "BOOM" the soonest.......
I would put my faith in silver.
It’s too bad that we’ve been dealing with a completely rigged system. TPTB are in control of PM prices, and the dollar must remain king. Gold/silver prices creep up, HULK SMASH! :lol:

Depends on why you're doing it. If you have a ton of silver and just want to have some gold - go for it. If you're looking to swap out for one over the other based on future value and sales- thats a harder decision. I don't think anyone knows for sure which is the better long-term hedge.

If I was looking for LONG term investment I would research which coins have been steadily rising over the past 5 years in certain condition and only buy ones that had been graded by one of the big boys.
If I was looking for something to have for a SHTF scenario I would buy ammunition and seeds.

I'm not sure how much the gold prices vary from country to country, but I know that in Australia (and maybe around the world), the gold price went up by $7/gram (from $52AUD to $59AUD). So right now the gold price is at the highest it's ever been in history (at least in Australian history). Therefore at the moment it's best to sell gold. After all, you should sell when the price is high, and buy when the price is low.

I'm not sure how silver is doing, I don't follow it as much as gold, but from what I've observed from the past year it's stayed pretty much the same (at least in Australia), with only a few minor fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom