Saltwater Encrusted Ring - Cleaning Advice?

SeaToSky69

Last week at low tide I got what appears to be a ring (???) but it's encrusted in this saltwater hard mineralized clump (See photo). Any advice on how to clean the crud off? It's ringing at 20-21-22 on the Nox 800. I tried using an ultrasonic cleaner to no avail.

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 549
Maybe lay it flat between two pieces of wood and hit it lightly with a hammer, not sure this is the best method but probably what I would try. Hope you find something good in there!

Tap it with a hammer, sometimes they stay intact and sometimes they break, that's just the way the cookie crumbles...

I was going to say sonic cleaner but you tried that. What settings and cleaning solution did you use? Heat?

Tap it with a hammer, sometimes they stay intact and sometimes they break, that's just the way the cookie crumbles...
I already smashed it with a hammer to reveal the "ring" in the first place (originally the clump was about twice the size of what you see in the photo), and I may have already broken it, so was hoping to avoid doing that again if possible ...

Try lime juice for a few days
The lime juice appears to be working! Thanks!

I was going to say sonic cleaner but you tried that. What settings and cleaning solution did you use? Heat?
Hmmm.... I think my sonic cleaner is pretty basic. The only settings are for the amount of time. I just used hot water. Do you have a solution in mind? I thought about trying CLR, but didn't know if that would be too harsh.

Maybe lay it flat between two pieces of wood and hit it lightly with a hammer, not sure this is the best method but probably what I would try. Hope you find something good in there!
If all above methods fail .... back to hammertime!

Looks like corroded aluminum.
I'm sure you're probably right .... :facepalm:

Thanks for the suggestions! GL and HH in 2019!

There are a bunch of cleaning solutions on youtube/net. I've never used mine for jewelry, only brass and gun parts, with a different solution for each. The solutions were factory specific for each

Back
Top Bottom