Bottle ID based on shard

Chroma

Elite Member
Curious if any bottle experts could identify the bottle this aqua shard came from, based on embossed lettering visible. Found at late 1800s farmhouse.

I can make out "WORKS" and then an "N" after that.

PXL_20220814_222906938.jpg

Sluething/spitballing here. The word "works" was most commonly used in "Bottling Works", which was a very common embossing on bottles from every other town in the country many years ago. So I'm thinking toward "Bottling Works" that was likely associated with a town or location. The other letters look like NN, at the end of a word or name, etc. So, while thinking "Bottling Works", associated with a town, location, etc., I am asking what ends with 2 N's? Thinking this may be local to your area, I look at your location, and I see East Tennesee. "Hey, TENN ends with 2 NN's!" occurs to me. Now, also noticing the point made of 2 segments of straight lines, I extrapolated that out to be the pointy right side of a horizontally oriented diamond shape. So My best theory is the logo you are seeking to match this with would have a somewhat horizontally oriented diamond shape with the words "BOTTLING WORKS" above it, and perhaps a town name followed by "TENN" below it; these words being oriented in a circular pattern; encircling the diamond shape. It also looks like there may be something embossed within the diamond, but I'm not certain if that's what I'm seeing there. Another set of factors is that all of this embossing appears to be on the bottom of a round, aqua glass bottle. The location/region you found this in may or may not be a factoring clue as well.
Sorry, but that's all I got.
Good luck.

Sluething/spitballing here. The word "works" was most commonly used in "Bottling Works", which was a very common embossing on bottles from every other town in the country many years ago. So I'm thinking toward "Bottling Works" that was likely associated with a town or location. The other letters look like NN, at the end of a word or name, etc. So, while thinking "Bottling Works", associated with a town, location, etc., I am asking what ends with 2 N's? Thinking this may be local to your area, I look at your location, and I see East Tennesee. "Hey, TENN ends with 2 NN's!" occurs to me. Now, also noticing the point made of 2 segments of straight lines, I extrapolated that out to be the pointy right side of a horizontally oriented diamond shape. So My best theory is the logo you are seeking to match this with would have a somewhat horizontally oriented diamond shape with the words "BOTTLING WORKS" above it, and perhaps a town name followed by "TENN" below it; these words being oriented in a circular pattern; encircling the diamond shape. It also looks like there may be something embossed within the diamond, but I'm not certain if that's what I'm seeing there. Another set of factors is that all of this embossing appears to be on the bottom of a round, aqua glass bottle. The location/region you found this in may or may not be a factoring clue as well.
Sorry, but that's all I got.
Good luck.

Thanks, you're probably right that the "NN" is the end of "TENN." I'll keep looking around online.

I would check with local bottle collectors in your area. Most likely they have that bottle in their collection or are familiar with the bottlers in the area. If that bottle was from my area, I'd recognize that diamond logo immediately.

I would check with local bottle collectors in your area. Most likely they have that bottle in their collection or are familiar with the bottlers in the area. If that bottle was from my area, I'd recognize that diamond logo immediately.

Thanks, I'll check if there are any local online groups. I found another shard a couple days ago and was able to identify it through Google searching. It was a piece of a locally manufactured blob top beer bottle from 1902. The shard on this thread is probably from the same era.

Thanks, I'll check if there are any local online groups. I found another shard a couple days ago and was able to identify it through Google searching. It was a piece of a locally manufactured blob top beer bottle from 1902. The shard on this thread is probably from the same era.

Can you tell what size bottle that was by the curvature? Is it thick glass like as Hutchinson bottles were? If so you might investigate Hutchbook site:
http://www.hutchbook.com/

Can you tell what size bottle that was by the curvature? Is it thick glass like as Hutchinson bottles were? If so you might investigate Hutchbook site:
http://www.hutchbook.com/

Yes, it is thicker glass compared to other shards I have found. I did a search of Hutchinson bottles produced in my area and I think I found the matching bottle for the shard. Thanks for the link.

Diamond Bottling Works, Knoxville, Tenn.
Made by Fairmont Bottle & Fruit Jar Company, which operated from 1892-1893.

TN0050.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom