In the water or on the beach?

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
As someone living In Iowa, which is about as far from saltwater beaches as one can get, I'm forced to live those MD'ing fantasies through the modern invention of youtube.

This has led to a few questions. First, I see some guys hunting in the water up to chest deep, think Gigmaster. These guys seem to be on the East Coast and from the mid-Atlantic South. I don't ever see the guys out West hunting "in the water". Is this because of water temp? Or, is the Pacific just rougher wave action making it more difficult?

Also, it seems that wet soil enhances conductivity of targets. Is that the same with wet vs. dry sand?

Any other differences between East vs. West that some of you pros could point out would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I hunt where the sea is 53degrees and some of the most dangerous surf so not many people are in the water.
I never need to go in the water past my ankles really.

I hunt wet slopes and in water only in the winter when most have hung up their detectors...

Water is clear to see the bottom because our beaches where I hunt are mainly mud and rocky bottomed...

During the summer sand is pushed in on the east coast covering existing bottom during the fall and winter it moves out exposing older targets.. makes sense to hunt the cold then... I enjoy the cold as well... as long as temps are no lower than mid 20's... water no issue even when its in low 30's we are well protected from elements..

I moved from Des Moines to Port St Lucie, Florida. I wanted to retire to the treasure coast and get away from Iowa winters. I arrived here this past February 2022. One is not allowed to hunt within the boundaries of the treasure coast, in the water. But, Miami and South Beach one is allowed in the water. I haven't hunted in the water as it is not advised to take a Nox 800 in the water. One should consider a dedicated water machine.
Oh well, I don't like the water anyway. As for beach hunting on Hutchinson Island, it's proven just to be therapy as good finds are few and far between. The 1715 stuff that has washed up on the shore, is said to be at the bottom of the sand because the heavy gold and silver sinks through the sand to a surface that is more solid, like coral or whatever is down there. Also, Florida keeps putting more sand on the beaches as the ocean washes the sand away. People say the booty could be as far down in the sand as perhaps 30 feet. So, I've been told and read, to hit the beach after a hurricane or severe storm that removes quite a bit of the sand.
I have yet to find any booty here to date except for modern coins and the usual beach finds of bottle caps and can slaw. Although I did score a 14k, white gold toe ring from a volleyball court in a city park. GL & HH.

The West Coast guys seem to have acres of wet sand that they're able to work. Where I am at that is not the case. I will only hunt the wet sand only when the surf is TOO rough - OR I see conditions that dictate I need to get out of the water and explore some erosion.
I haven't hunted in the water as it is not advised to take a Nox 800 in the water. One should consider a dedicated water machine.
Although my 800 is not my primary machine for the water, it is my primary for the water in some trashier beaches that I go to. I have never had an issue with mine. (Knock on wood!)

.... First, I see some guys hunting in the water up to chest deep, think Gigmaster. These guys seem to be on the East Coast and from the mid-Atlantic South. I don't ever see the guys out West hunting "in the water". ....

I can't speak for why you see some east coast ocean beach hunting guys "in the water". Is it placid semi-still conditions ? Or are they fighting wave action ?

Here in CA, if there's any surf action on the open facing ocean beaches, you will be battling to try to swing your coil underwater, and keep standing straight up. I have sometimes perceived that there's targets further out into the waves (since I run down and sample it between wave sets). So I get brave and try to venture out further (in my hipwaders and waterproof machine and long-handled scoop). Only to find myself working-to-a-frazzle for each target. And then it doesn't take a genius to realize that :

"Gee, in this amount of time, I could already have had several targets, in the intertidal zone. Why am I spending all my time trying to isolate invisible targets, and getting pushed around by waves ?"

And I'm not sure about "bathtub conditions" with "thousands of swimmers" like southern CA bay-watch beaches, but : Where I'm at (central coast CA) : Quite frankly, the underwater (waist deep) target spread is no better or no worse than the inter-tidal zone. Because we're gambling on mother nature's erosion deposit locations.

In other words, IT DOESN'T MATTER how many people swim or frolic slightly off-shore. And IT DOESN"T MATTER how many md'rs have not "tapped that zone". Because if mother nature isn't depositing targets there, then you have sterile conditions. That can be equally true in the inter-tidal zone, as can be equally true slightly off-shore. So why torture yourself ?

I know some guys here who have tried scuba is the extreme shallows (try to pin themselves to the bottom @ 4 or 5 ft. of depth). And found out the hard way that the underwater world is *just* as susceptible to sand-dunes (sterile incoming sand) as-is the above-water world. Oh sure, you might get lucky and find an eroded spot filled with targets down there. But , oh-sure the same chance existed for the inter-tidal zone too.

I'm here in So.Cal. Tom has it nailed down. There are a few on the ocean side that will hunt in 2' or lower surf. Anymore and forget it , it's too rough and a waste of time. But more guys will hunt in the troughs that develop and can be productive. Some can be 3-4' deep and at lowtide you are protected from any wave action. In the bays and waterways was where it was at decades ago for chest deep. Not so much anymore but it does happen. For the most part it's lowtide wetsand and slopes for guys here. Or the dry after huge crowds.

I hunt where the sea is 53degrees and some of the most dangerous surf so not many people are in the water.
I never need to go in the water past my ankles really.

Yeah, 53 would not be for me, that sounds like an ice bath:laughing:

Cfmct;3414615 During the summer sand is pushed in on the east coast covering existing bottom during the fall and winter it moves out exposing older targets.. makes sense to hunt the cold then... I enjoy the cold as well... as long as temps are no lower than mid 20's... water no issue even when its in low 30's we are well protected from elements..[/QUOTE said:
Interesting to know. I watching Metal Detecting NYC once in a while and I believe he has referenced the push in (Summer) and Pull Out (Fall/Winter) on his youtube channel now that you mention it.

The 1715 stuff that has washed up on the shore, is said to be at the bottom of the sand because the heavy gold and silver sinks through the sand to a surface that is more solid, like coral or whatever is down there. Also, Florida keeps putting more sand on the beaches as the ocean washes the sand away. People say the booty could be as far down in the sand as perhaps 30 feet. So, I've been told and read, to hit the beach after a hurricane or severe storm that removes quite a bit of the sand.

Yes, I have heard others say the same about the 1715 booty. Have to wait for the major storms to erode the beach to get the good stuff.

The West Coast guys seem to have acres of wet sand that they're able to work.

I have been to beaches near LA and San Diego on a handful of occasions in the early 2000's. My only experience with an East Coast Beach was Jekyll Island and St. Simons Island for 48 hours a few weeks back. I've never had the opportunity to detect while at these beaches, but, what little experience I have backs up what you state. BTW, detecting prohibited Jekyll Island.

Tom_in_CA;3414664 Here in CA said:
Yes, in what little experience I have with Southern Cal, the ocean was never gentle and one had to be on constant alert for riptides.

In the bays and waterways was where it was at decades ago for chest deep. Not so much anymore but it does happen. For the most part it's lowtide wetsand and slopes for guys here. Or the dry after huge crowds.

Is that because the bays and waterways are hunted out at this point except for fresh drops?

Where i am, i am the only water hunter you will likely ever see. East coast where i am it is rough surf usually. In the wet sand you may take a couple scoops to reach a target. In the ocean it may take you twenty scoops to accomplish the same goal. Spacing of the wave action makes a big difference. You have to face into the waves just to dig. Get thrown off your dig area the whole time you are digging and have to plant your scoop when picked up by a wave to go back to where you are digging. Then when you get down to the target you hope it isn't a sinker 16" down. It's not fun at all really. Just rewarding when your scoop shows you the fruits of your labor. Anyone can hunt the wet sand. Takes a special person to risk being bitten by a shark, stung by a stingray, and always a risk of drowning.

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 563
Look at the light house size for each coast. The Go out farther on the east coast… because it’s flatter. Much like our Gulf we have high bank and low bank beaches each are hunted differently simple because of accessibility…. Winds, higher tides, waves…. all determine how far out you maybe able to successfully hunt.

Where i am, i am the only water hunter you will likely ever see. East coast where i am it is rough surf usually. In the wet sand you may take a couple scoops to reach a target. In the ocean it may take you twenty scoops to accomplish the same goal. Spacing of the wave action makes a big difference. You have to face into the waves just to dig. Get thrown off your dig area the whole time you are digging and have to plant your scoop when picked up by a wave to go back to where you are digging. Then when you get down to the target you hope it isn't a sinker 16" down. It's not fun at all really. Just rewarding when your scoop shows you the fruits of your labor. Anyone can hunt the wet sand. Takes a special person to risk being bitten by a shark, stung by a stingray, and always a risk of drowning.

Based on the very few "in water" ocean experiences I've had, I can certainly understand the danger. I was fortunate enough to wake board Southern Cal beaches with my brother about a half dozen times 20 or so years ago. Once, I got caught in a riptide and to this day consider it divine intervention that I made it back to the beach alive. Another time, my brother and I were side by side heading out with our boards, I stepped on something, didn't know what it was, and at that very moment my brother (A D1 football player) yelled in pain. A stingray sliced open the bottom of his foot, a good 2 inch gash that took almost a year to heal.

Look at the light house size for each coast. The Go out farther on the east coast… because it’s flatter. Much like our Gulf we have high bank and low bank beaches each are hunted differently simple because of accessibility…. Winds, higher tides, waves…. all determine how far out you maybe able to successfully hunt.

Very interesting information here, thanks for your insight!

The west coast we have shore break waves at most beaches so even if your'e only hip deep if you hear a target the next waves going to you push 5 feet away before you scoop ,much of the east coast has sand bars and gentler slopes so the energy from the waves is eroded before hits the shore so you have a chance to retrieve a target.

Just look up Mel Fisher treasure and you find out all you want to know about why you can't go out in the water to treasure hunt in areas around Florida. The last i heard they where not looking very far out for more of the Spanish Fleet stuff in the keys. That was a long time ago too.

The west coast we have shore break waves at most beaches so even if your'e only hip deep if you hear a target the next waves going to you push 5 feet away before you scoop ,much of the east coast has sand bars and gentler slopes so the energy from the waves is eroded before hits the shore so you have a chance to retrieve a target.

Excellent, concise information. That's certainly what I remember with my limited Southern Cali experience, a very rough surf. Thank you for your input.

Just look up Mel Fisher treasure and you find out all you want to know about why you can't go out in the water to treasure hunt in areas around Florida. The last i heard they where not looking very far out for more of the Spanish Fleet stuff in the keys. That was a long time ago too.

Is the entire State of Florida off limits in terms of "in water" hunting, or just the beaches along the 1715 fleet wreckage?

I haven't hunted in the water as it is not advised to take a Nox 800 in the water. One should consider a dedicated water machine. .

Almost 4 years of water hunting with my 800. I say, if you have a warranty, now is the time to test the waters... pun intended.

^^^^ This!

I don't remember, been so long ago that i looked up the ares about it. But i do know to stay out of wild life ares and pretty much the treasure coast area in the water. I also know i a little about St. Johns county too, stay out of the parks. I have asked about certain areas here in FL, (because of the idiot's that live here and think everything belongs to them!! :mad:)

Is the entire State of Florida off limits in terms of "in water" hunting, or just the beaches along the 1715 fleet wreckage?

1715 fleet wreckage Beaches no in the water detecting, for military area beaches, nature conservation areas and many state park beaches prohibit metal detecting any where.

In state parks with beaches it is up to each park ranger to allow/prohibit ask them.

County/city beach parks may have ordinances. If you call city hall whoever answers will say no, check the online Municode.com for ordinances.

In all areas no hunting or digging into the dune.

Location and erosion will be your friend. Fill you holes.

Any other areas I missed, others can correct.

......County/city beach parks may have ordinances. If you call city hall whoever answers will say no, check the online Municode.com for ordinances. ...

And I have a sneaking suspicion that this "...will say no..." ^ ^ (to the "pressing issue" question), is EXACTLY the reason why all the other entities and beaches you listed enacted their wonderful rules decades ago. No one "checks on-line" for rules/laws (especially in the pre internet era days). Instead, they call up bored desk-jockies swatting hornet's nests. Presto, another law was born :mad:

My 2 cents.

I have been using the Equinox 800 underwater in 5-10 ft. for the last couple of months.

Monterey Bay is usually in the 48-52 degree F temperature range. I have had no flooding (knock on wood) yet. I did some work from a Gigmaster video like taping the external speaker outlet and siliconing all the seams. I dive in a 7mm wetsuit (one-piece) using a 120 cf steel tank. Because of the shallow depths I am down for 2.5 hours or so each dive.

Mostly, with SCUBA here you have to use some common sense about water conditions. If you do not have respect for ocean conditions it will eventually cost you.

I don't find anywhere near the number of targets as on the beach, but the ratio of precious metal to junk is way better.

The same zone I found the $10 Eagle at has given up some other pieces from the same time frame, like this bar token.

Attachments

• Bar Token 1.jpg
    Bar Token 1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Bar Token 2.jpg
    Bar Token 2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 184
Back
Top Bottom