Day One @ Demo'd Farmhouse

Chroma

Elite Member
***08/14/22 update: ring is plated. Seems obvious now but in the moment wishful thinking got the best of me. :p

Today I detected a new spot that I researched. Pre-1895 farmhouse that was demolished in the 1990s. It was a pretty good first day.

PXL_20220814_004650178.jpg
Top left: valve stem produced by Dill of Cleveland Ohio (maybe from a Ford Model T?). To the right: a pocket watch movement part (brass). Below that: a late 1800s (post Civil War) eagle button by Horstmann of Philadelphia, a copper bow brooch, a 1950 D wheat cent.

In the center: A small ring that I suspect is gold. Weighs no more than a couple grams. There is a copper layer on the outside, but it appears to be a solid gold band otherwise, just very thin. I'm not sure why a gold ring would have a copper layer on the outside. The inside of the ring was clean coming out of the ground. Here is a close up of the inside marking:

18cross.jpg
18 and a cross. I'm assuming 18K, though not sure what the cross indicates.

quarterscale.jpg

I scraped off some of the outer copper layer, revealing gold underneath. I might try soaking the ring in vinegar to see if the green layer comes off, but I think this is the real deal. (8/14/22 update: not the real deal :no:).

scrapethru.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me like it was possibly a combo ring of gold on the inside/copper on the outside to keep the cost low back when people couldn't afford as much. Don't know why they wouldn't have it the other way around or have it be copper with gold plating though. Who knows? Nice recovery!

Great looking hunt! Not sure if that is solid 18k or not, but solid gold should not have corrosion on it. Congrats and good luck on the return trip/s!

That ring sure is odd.

Yep, pretty weird. I left it to soak in vinegar overnight, which took off the verdigris but left the layer of copper. The inner golden band was unaffected by the vinegar as predicted, just cleaner and shinier now. I wonder if copper and gold rings were popular a long time ago, because this is the first one I've seen.

PXL_20220814_130427947.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking hunt! Not sure if that is solid 18k or not, but solid gold should not have corrosion on it. Congrats and good luck on the return trip/s!

I'm not really sure what to think. I left the ring in vinegar overnight, which removed the verdigris, but there was no color change on the golden part of the ring. Gold-plated rings usually change color when soaked in vinegar.

When viewed from above you can see a solid gold edge. The layer of copper is much thinner and only on the outside of the ring.

above1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to try removing the copper plating with dilute hydrochloric acid made from salt and vinegar. If that doesn't work I'll probably try nitric acid, which will work quickly. If it really is an 18k ring with copper plating, the copper will dissolve and the gold will be unaffected.

Last edited:
Well, I soaked the ring in ferric chloride (dissolves copper) for a few hours. Sad to say that it is definitely a plated ring. The gold on edges is starting to flake and peel off. The plating on the inside is intact because I guess it is a pretty thick layer. Now it seems obvious that it is a fake ring because it is just too light.

On the bright side, I went back to the same place today and made some cool finds. I will make a post about that in a little while.

Last edited:
Looks to me like it was possibly a combo ring of gold on the inside/copper on the outside to keep the cost low back when people couldn't afford as much. Don't know why they wouldn't have it the other way around or have it be copper with gold plating though. Who knows? Nice recovery!

My guess would be that a layer of copper against the skin would turn it green.

Back
Top Bottom