• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Simplex Depth-O-Meter Question

Dodge92

This may be a subjective question but if I am getting a signal that bounces like from 38-55 and depth is the max bars, how deep do you think the object may be? It's the Simplex 2.77 with stock coil in Park 2.

This may be a subjective question but if I am getting a signal that bounces like from 38-55 and depth is the max bars, how deep do you think the object may be? It's the Simplex 2.77 with stock coil in Park 2.

I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to the depth gauge on mine. It is obviously more accurate on shallow targets. I think it can be fooled depending on that the target is made of and how big it is. I find that the pinpointer function helps determine depth for me. It works much better on shallow targets so that helps me determine the depth. Maybe how deep can a Simplex detect is a better question? With the stock coil running 2.77 it will easily see 8 + inches in my yard with good repeatable signals. I haven’t done a lot of hunting with the smaller coil yet aside from clad, but I’ve seen some stuff at 6 inches no problem. The other thing is the Simplex can see some very small targets and sometimes has you sifting through loose dirt trying to locate it with your pinpointer.

The best trick I have learned from the folks here is lifting the coil. If the Simplex is still reading the same with the coil 6 inches off the ground, probably best to move on.

I don’t pay a whole lot of attention to the depth gauge on mine. It is obviously more accurate on shallow targets. I think it can be fooled depending on that the target is made of and how big it is. I find that the pinpointer function helps determine depth for me. It works much better on shallow targets so that helps me determine the depth. Maybe how deep can a Simplex detect is a better question? With the stock coil running 2.77 it will easily see 8 + inches in my yard with good repeatable signals. I haven’t done a lot of hunting with the smaller coil yet aside from clad, but I’ve seen some stuff at 6 inches no problem. The other thing is the Simplex can see some very small targets and sometimes has you sifting through loose dirt trying to locate it with your pinpointer.

The best trick I have learned from the folks here is lifting the coil. If the Simplex is still reading the same with the coil 6 inches off the ground, probably best to move on.

Thanks. I will try that. To add to the story I went out with the intent of trying my new Predator shovel and dug a nice plug but was not in the mood to spend too much time. I checked the plug and the hole and the ground near the plug and no target. Put the plug back and went over the hole and no signal at all now. I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks. I will try that. To add to the story I went out with the intent of trying my new Predator shovel and dug a nice plug but was not in the mood to spend too much time. I checked the plug and the hole and the ground near the plug and no target. Put the plug back and went over the hole and no signal at all now. I will try again tomorrow.

Not sure if you saw this recent thread, but was about disappearing signals. I have experienced this too, but I don’t think it is a Simplex problem. I saw it with my Vanquish at the beach too.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=285216

Not sure if you saw this recent thread, but was about disappearing signals. I have experienced this too, but I don’t think it is a Simplex problem. I saw it with my Vanquish at the beach too.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=285216

Yes! Once it happened I remembered that thread so came in and read it. I should be getting the SP24 tomorrow so I wanted to try that and see if it makes a difference.

Yes! Once it happened I remembered that thread so came in and read it. I should be getting the SP24 tomorrow so I wanted to try that and see if it makes a difference.

Will be interested to hear how you like the new coil. I love the smaller coil. I haven’t taken mine off since I got it. Had it in the woods and some brush on Sunday. Great for tight places and works very well.

Which Predator did you end up with? I’m considering getting a Model 35 Piranha.

Will be interested to hear how you like the new coil. I love the smaller coil. I haven’t taken mine off since I got it. Had it in the woods and some brush on Sunday. Great for tight places and works very well.

Which Predator did you end up with? I’m considering getting a Model 35 Piranha.

I ordered the Phoenix. I liked the way the slightly curved blade made nice plugs in Paystreak's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ert_0ph8zDs&t=158s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom