Float copper hunting

davemercier

Good morning everyone, i'm going to try my hand at searching for float/native copper on the Keweenaw peninsula of Michigan's upper peninsula. I'll be using a Garrett ace 400, and i'm hoping to get some advice on which control settings would be best. Thanks very much for any help!

Sorry I don't know about Garret machine settings, but hope you do good hunting the copper. Most good sized nuggets will give a good high reading unless they are deep. GL & HH!

Good morning everyone, i'm going to try my hand at searching for float/native copper on the Keweenaw peninsula of Michigan's upper peninsula. I'll be using a Garrett ace 400, and i'm hoping to get some advice on which control settings would be best. Thanks very much for any help!
The settings should be as follows.
1. Tell the wife how much you love her
2. Honey we won't have to buy no more high priced copper at the tourist trap
3. We will be able to detect our own
4. Then we can go to some of the better spots
5. And we won't have to listen to those annoying sounds coming from our little yellow banana :laughing:
6. Plus it will pay foor itself after a couple trips to the copper hills
:laughing::laughing:
7. Honey can i buy a Minelab
Glad you had fun.

Last edited:
Michigan copper is pretty pure. What if you went to a hardware store and bought a copper pipe fitting or copper nail and kind of smashed it with a hammer? Would you be able to practice listening for copper like that?

I actually just bought a piece of michigan copper for just this situation. But I'm all the way down near Kalamazoo...

Last edited:
Michigan copper is pretty pure. What if you went to a hardware store and bought a copper pipe fitting or copper nail and kind of smashed it with a hammer? Would you be able to practice listening for copper like that?

I actually just bought a piece of michigan copper for just this situation. But I'm all the way down near Kalamazoo...
No float copper will not sound the same as copper pipe smashed or not. What type of copper did you buy ?

Not too far from Marquette in the north central U.P. you will find the Gold River.

Sounds like a great place to look for gold!

But also near there is the Yellow Dog River. A river with that name seems like a natural for some old sourdough to make a big find.

And i believe copper and gold are often found close together.

The Big Two Hearted River has a great sound too. It is farther east, not in the mining and mineral part of Michigan.

Not too far from Marquette in the north central U.P. you will find the Gold River.

Sounds like a great place to look for gold!

But also near there is the Yellow Dog River. A river with that name seems like a natural for some old sourdough to make a big find.

And i believe copper and gold are often found close together.

The Big Two Hearted River has a great sound too. It is farther east, not in the mining and mineral part of Michigan.
Not going to find much if any float in those areas need to go towards the keweenau peninsula .

Thanks yooper....

just got a quick online education about copper in Michigan.

found this map that shows a LOT of copper in the Keewenaw.

On this map it is marked with X's as "copper in bedrock".

The red dots indicate float copper and there are a few dots outside the Keewenaw and a LOT of dots in eastern Wisconsin.

What surprised me though were the three southernmost dots in Michigan.

Those are very close to where i live.

50 years ago, as a sophomore in college, i took a class in Michigan Geology which included a multi-day trip to the U.P.

we visited quarries, mines, lots of outcrops, etc. Some of the oldest rocks on earth are up there, it is a remarkable place.

Attachments

• COPPER.POST.jpg
    COPPER.POST.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 785
Back
Top Bottom